Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:36 AM   #51
kaitcarl
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
To solve the problem is a bit of a chore, let me explain, since the problem only occurs in your User account the problem file is in your home folder.
Settings are almost all in your Library folder and the most likely folder is the Preferences (settings) folder inside the library folder.

Now to find to conflict is a bit of a process.

Since you can not change things inside your Library folder when you are logged in you need to do this from another User, but the best way is the root user, yours is most likely not active yet so first you have to activate Root.

How to enable the root User:
Open /Applications/Utilities/Directory Utility
Next click the padlock
Enter password
Now under the Edit in the Menu Bar click enable root User.
It will ask for a new password to be set(twice)

Logout
You now get to the login screen and see other, click on that and enter root as name and the password you entered earlier.

Open a browser and download Show & Hide, this is a small application which makes your invisible files visible, download here.
http://www.longfingers.com/download/Show&Hide.zip

Unzip, click it and make your files visible.

Now, navigate to Your normal User Accounts home folder and locate the /Library/Preferences folder, rename it to Preferences Old(Or whatever you want.)

Logout, and login to your normal User Account, everything (settings) are now reset but don't worry they are in Preferences Old.
There is a new Preferences folder now with new setting.

Open Firefox, is it working now??????
If so, the problem file is in the Preferences folder.
In this case logout and login into root again, now drag half(50%) of your files from Preferences Old to preferences.
Logout of root and login to normal User account.
Open firefox and try again.

Problem still gone, the 50% files are Ok and the problem is in the other 50% in the Preferences Old folder.
Problem is there, the problem is now back to the preferences folder.

So, in essence you have to each time half the files and eventually you'll find the one file which is the culprit.
It is a bit of a job though.

If the problem didn't go away by renaming the preferences folder to Preferences Old the problem is in another folder, the next one would be Application support.

You can revert back to the old situation by renaming the old folder back.
For security I would make a copy of the folder you work on and place it in a safe place like a USB stick or just on the desktop.


Now, question, do you understand the procedure, if not I can make a few screen shots.
Screen shots would be great! So last night the website worked under my other account and now today it's doing the same thing as my regular account.... ??
kaitcarl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:45 AM   #52
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitcarl View Post
Screen shots would be great! So last night the website worked under my other account and now today it's doing the same thing as my regular account.... ??
If this is the case the above procedure won't help, before you said it did work there and now it doesn't, this means it's system wide.

Now, I will read the former pages because I forgot if I told you about deleting a certain folder, update this post in a few minutes.

Update: No I didn't.

There is a folder called SystemConfiguration in /Library/Preferences, now drag this folder to the desktop, if it copies it move the original to the trash, restart and try again, all network settings are reset, might help.
If this didn't work you could copy the folder back if you like.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:04 AM   #53
LPZ
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitcarl View Post
The issue is on my computer only, I can't get to the login page, that's where I'm getting the error.
@kaitcarl

Do you get the "can't establish a connection error" if you click on this link

https://fa.bellevuecollege.edu:8443/cas/login

from your regular user account?

And what about this

https://fa.bellevuecollege.edu:8443/ ?

Been having a difficult time following some of your posted responses.
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:40 PM   #54
kaitcarl
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPZ View Post
@kaitcarl

Do you get the "can't establish a connection error" if you click on this link

https://fa.bellevuecollege.edu:8443/cas/login

from your regular user account?

And what about this

https://fa.bellevuecollege.edu:8443/ ?

Been having a difficult time following some of your posted responses.
Ya I get the error for both of those links.
kaitcarl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:06 PM   #55
kaitcarl
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
If this is the case the above procedure won't help, before you said it did work there and now it doesn't, this means it's system wide.

Now, I will read the former pages because I forgot if I told you about deleting a certain folder, update this post in a few minutes.

Update: No I didn't.

There is a folder called SystemConfiguration in /Library/Preferences, now drag this folder to the desktop, if it copies it move the original to the trash, restart and try again, all network settings are reset, might help.
If this didn't work you could copy the folder back if you like.
It worked the first time I went to the page! And then the second time, back to normal
kaitcarl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:26 PM   #56
LPZ
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitcarl View Post
Ya I get the error for both of those links.
How about these?

https://fa.bellevuecollege.edu:443

http://fa.bellevuecollege.edu:80
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:25 PM   #57
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitcarl View Post
It worked the first time I went to the page! And then the second time, back to normal
Now this says something:

You created a new User before, it worked there for the first time as well and then the second time not.
So, my guess now is there is something going on with your network settings.
When they are clean it works, but as soon as you tried one time it stops working, this can be a bug in the OS, hard to say at the moment.

You might look inside the (Wireless) Network settings, for instance, is IPv6 enabled, if so try disabling it.
Or, if it is not enabled, enable IPv6.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:08 AM   #58
denzaltrueman
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
The anti-virus remove didn't help. I did observed that when using a proxies, the web page would come up.
denzaltrueman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:11 AM   #59
LPZ
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by denzaltrueman View Post
The anti-virus remove didn't help. I did observed that when using a proxies, the web page would come up.
Are you a new poster with the same problem as kaitcarl?

Please open Terminal (in Utilities) and paste in

Code:
traceroute -m 15 134.39.81.243
Please post the output.
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC