Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IdiotWind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
UK
Hi there,

I've been having some trouble with my 2011 macbook air since Monday (two days ago).

First of all, I was watching a programme on my mac and suddenly it turned itself off. I assumed it had just ran out of battery, but I had to go to work, so I left it alone until I got home. That night when I plugged it in, it switched on to the point of making the one low note chime and seeing the apple symbol on the white screen, and then it switched itself off again. After holding down the power button to make it reset, it switched on again and I used the macbook for about half an hour to send some emails and chat on facebook. However, during this time the message 'Are you sure you want to shut the computer down?' every two seconds or so, as if I was pressing the power key. I left it all night and the next morning, and today it won't even switch on. No fan noises, nothing. The orange light on the power cable is on, but no response from the macbook.
I've tried resetting PRAM and trying shift, ctrl, cmd (option) and the power key, but to no avail.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Also, I got two drops of water on the keyboard on Monday from my wet hair, but it was literally two drops and I wiped the keyboard with a towel. Surely that tiny amount of water couldn't cause the macbook to completely die on me could it?

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
perhaps your power button is malfunctioning. If it stays pressed it shuts down automatically/instantly. If you press it though, it will first ask to shut down. So perhaps the first time you didn't see the message and it shut off. The next time you saw the messages. And now it has lost it's function.

It's just a theory.

But if I were you I would take it in at an apple store. Or perhaps some water did get under the power button. Best thing is to let it dry (in a dry warm space).

Hjl21122

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
Hi there,

I've been having some trouble with my 2011 macbook air since Monday (two days ago).

First of all, I was watching a programme on my mac and suddenly it turned itself off. I assumed it had just ran out of battery, but I had to go to work, so I left it alone until I got home. That night when I plugged it in, it switched on to the point of making the one low note chime and seeing the apple symbol on the white screen, and then it switched itself off again. After holding down the power button to make it reset, it switched on again and I used the macbook for about half an hour to send some emails and chat on facebook. However, during this time the message 'Are you sure you want to shut the computer down?' every two seconds or so, as if I was pressing the power key. I left it all night and the next morning, and today it won't even switch on. No fan noises, nothing. The orange light on the power cable is on, but no response from the macbook.
I've tried resetting PRAM and trying shift, ctrl, cmd (option) and the power key, but to no avail.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Also, I got two drops of water on the keyboard on Monday from my wet hair, but it was literally two drops and I wiped the keyboard with a towel. Surely that tiny amount of water couldn't cause the macbook to completely die on me could it?

Hello how did you get on?my MacBook has done the exact same thing and really could with some help I've followed everyone's advice an nothing :/ thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.