Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tboyd37

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
brownsville pa
guys,
a question out of curiosity...

just wondering how many apps will iPhone 5 let run at once.. my iPhone was running a little slow.. i started going through & closing applications through multitasking & i think over 50 apps were open..

is there a limit to how many apps iPhone 5 will run or allow to run at once.. input/thoughts are appreciated..

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
iOS multitasking isn't real multitasking. Think of it more along the lines of a recently used list. iOS will manage the apps as necessary. And apart from some apps like Skype or apps that are currently streaming something, it will freeze the process after a while so it doesn't continue using resources.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
iOS multitasking isn't real multitasking. Think of it more along the lines of a recently used list. iOS will manage the apps as necessary. And apart from some apps like Skype or apps that are currently streaming something, it will freeze the process after a while so it doesn't continue using resources.

Its still great multi tasking, espcially on the i5 apps load instantly when i switch in and out of them there is no delay at all like previous iPhones due to the slower hardware

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
All i know is that multi tasking is superior on iPhone 5 over the Galaxy note 2 quadcore...i cant count how many times my brothers note 2 had to reload a app or refresh the app while on the i5 it remained the same...i guess it has to do with the really strong memory performance of the A6 chip

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Its still great multi tasking, espcially on the i5 apps load instantly when i switch in and out of them there is no delay at all like previous iPhones due to the slower hardware

With the new processor and increased RAM, the iPhone 5 seems to handle these frozen states of the apps very nicely. And I agree it almost feels like real multitasking because of that.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
They require a lot of power and drain battery quickly.

I noticed games loading slower and sometimes have more lag when I have other apps/games on.

Unless it's a music app or something else that has specific tasks to run in the background, apps get frozen when you exit them. Therefore they can't use graphics power, CPU power or drain the battery or take up RAM.

All those apps in the multitasking bar on your iOS device are currently active and slowing it down, filling the device's memory or using up your battery. To maximise performance and battery life, you should kill them all manually.

This is wrong, as iOS manages your iPhone's processing and RAM to maximise performance and battery life. When you press the home button to exit an app, the app is generally 'put to sleep' in much the same way that you put your computer to sleep. The app is still in the RAM (so that you can go back to it without having to fully start it) however it's not using any processing power, and therefore is not wasting any battery life. If your iPhone needs the RAM that that app is taking up, it kills it automatically. For more information about this, visit this page.
[source]

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
IOS manages the RAM and kills apps if RAM is needed ( like in a graphic intensive game ) and from what I've noticed the OS multitasking like that can cause the game/is to stutter/lag for a second until the processes of freeing the RAM and killing frozen apps is done.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.