Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
argh correct :)

I meant screen size.

Its just all over the web mostly people are comparing the pixel to the Air.

I think that's mostly because of the price and the 1.8Ghz low voltage CPU.

It's actually closer to the Macbook Pro in weight.

Still100

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Mid Year, I'm guessing there will be a new slightly thinner design with a smaller footprint in size (w x d), ivy bridge lower power, no retina, same battery life.

Essentially just a new design. Following update to get Haswell early next year, MacBook Pro to get it in October.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
i would be shocked if they changed to a new charger so quickly

I'd be more shocked if they added a useless feature such as NFC

Anyway, my only real prediction is that I'll be buying one. I'm on a 128GB 2010 MBA and really need more storage. The extra speed would be a nice plus too.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I would say....

Safe bets can be:

Better CPU (Haswell maybe)
Big SSD stock

Not so safe:

Faster SSD
Better GPU

Unlikeky:

Retina display
Touch capability

:):apple:

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Safe bets can be:

Better CPU (Haswell maybe)
Big SSD stock

Not so safe:

Faster SSD
Better GPU

Unlikeky:

Retina display
Touch capability

:):apple:

If it's safe to say its getting haswell then it's safe to say its getting a better GPU. Haswell has a better IGP then Ivy Bridge.

Irial

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
I am just hoping for a bigger SSD, higher resolution (no need for retina display though, I don't really care for it) and better CPU. Also I am hoping it comes out sooner rather than later :D

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
What will the 2013 Macbook Air wow us with?

I think it'll have an internal optical drive! :eek:

C'mon, IMNSHO this is a no-brainer as in 99% of the cases a laptop design can be surmised from the tech which is out there.

CPU/GPU? The next iteration MBA will have haswell only if Apple makes us wait for it - if an update comes out before that, expect only a minor speed bump.

I do not expect a retina as standard (differentiation, pricing), but I think a BTO-option would not be out of the question. The HW would definitely support it.
Display type? IPS could be a possibility.
Touchscreen? Gimme a break.

Connectivity? What is there to offer? The MBA already is on the highest level, but I'm sure someone could add some ports (which Apple won't do)

Storage? Sure, prices have come down, but not enough to double the capasities while keeping the same price points. Also the basic amounts are currently suitable for most, so I'd rather expect Apple to lower prices than bump storage.

Sadly (for us rumormongers), given the state of components, the only radical thing Apple could do with the MBA lineup is to add another member to the family - the long rumored 15" MBA (which some could say would still have a niche to fill), but I do not expect it...
Honestly, the current MBA lineup is as close to perfect as it can get. The Apple announcement-machine has to focus on other areas for a while (Mac Pro, please:D)

RGDS,

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I think it'll have an internal optical drive! :eek:

C'mon, IMNSHO this is a no-brainer as in 99% of the cases a laptop design can be surmised from the tech which is out there.

CPU/GPU? The next iteration MBA will have haswell only if Apple makes us wait for it - if an update comes out before that, expect only a minor speed bump.

I do not expect a retina as standard (differentiation, pricing), but I think a BTO-option would not be out of the question. The HW would definitely support it.
Display type? IPS could be a possibility.
Touchscreen? Gimme a break.

Connectivity? What is there to offer? The MBA already is on the highest level, but I'm sure someone could add some ports (which Apple won't do)

Storage? Sure, prices have come down, but not enough to double the capasities while keeping the same price points. Also the basic amounts are currently suitable for most, so I'd rather expect Apple to lower prices than bump storage.

Sadly (for us rumormongers), given the state of components, the only radical thing Apple could do with the MBA lineup is to add another member to the family - the long rumored 15" MBA (which some could say would still have a niche to fill), but I do not expect it...
Honestly, the current MBA lineup is as close to perfect as it can get. The Apple announcement-machine has to focus on other areas for a while (Mac Pro, please:D)

RGDS,

As much as the Mac Pro may need a refresh, I expect Apple to focus on the MacBook Air instead.

In 2011 and for the most part of 2012, the Air was widely considered the king of ultraportables. But ultrabooks are catching up quickly. There are some very interesting and functional designs. Look at Acer Aspire S7, Asus Taichi and Transformer Book, Dell XPS 12, Lenovo ThinkPad Helix and IdeaPad Yoga, Microsoft Surface Pro, Samsung Series 7 and 9... And so so. You may argue that most of them have their flaws, but they are evolving at a quick pace. And Apple surely has an eye on the competition as it does not want to lose its mojo.

I would expect the Air to get a redesign in 2014, but given the evolution of ultrabooks and the likeliness of better models following the release of Haswell, I think Apple may want to revamp the Air in late 2013.

I expect a retina display, even if Apple has to go IGZO for that, an even thinner and lighter body, and perhaps less battery life than the retina Pro.

itouch rulz

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
I have to buy a 13 inch MBA in mid-April. I'm travelling and will need to work and it's impractical to take my 27 inch work iMac or 21 inch home iMac.

I need to be able to use track changes in Word and significant copy and paste between multiple Word and pdf documents and attach these finished documents to emails so an iPad is going to be too limiting.

Looks like there is no (or virtual no) chance that new MBAs will be out by then.

Probably go for top spec 13 and upgrade the RAM and processor but not the SSD (256 will be fine for me).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.