Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Jul 10, 2013, 01:55 PM   #26
tony3d
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMist View Post
I like it. Much better than the original scene. I'm a photographer who does some still life and the original bugged me because of the bright object in the upper right. It's all about the composition and you've cropped just about the right amount of non-subject supporting objects.

But have you considered brightening up the blacks a bit? However you do that in your program. I'm missing some detail in what is probably beautiful and interesting surfaces.
Brought out more shadow detail. Made the hot spot deeper on the cigarette, tweaked sharpness of ice cubes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Newest Final Cary805.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	422510  
tony3d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:31 AM   #27
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Wow, looks awesome!

What programme do you use and can you recommend anything for a beginner at 3D modelling? Obviously it won't be nearly as detailed as the one you posted, but anything to get started on the right track? Thanks
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:54 AM   #28
tony3d
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
Wow, looks awesome!

What programme do you use and can you recommend anything for a beginner at 3D modelling? Obviously it won't be nearly as detailed as the one you posted, but anything to get started on the right track? Thanks
I use Lightwave 3D. Don't know much about beginner packages, but you can download Blender for free! It's a very powerful package, and it won't cost you one cent!
tony3d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:38 PM   #29
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3d View Post
I use Lightwave 3D. Don't know much about beginner packages, but you can download Blender for free! It's a very powerful package, and it won't cost you one cent!
Oh ok, will definitely look in to Blender. Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 09:58 AM   #30
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
Wow, looks awesome!

Silo2 is available for $29 on Steam right now. I personally never used it but everyone I know who has loves its modeling tools.

Blender is free and does more than Silo but its UI is atrocious and it has a serious lack of tutorials (although that has been changing and there are many more tutoritals out there than there were.)

I would go with Silo2, learn modeling and modeling theory, then you can import your geometry that you create into Blender and learn rendering, texturing, etc.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:23 AM   #31
rrl
macrumors regular

The ashtray needs to be turned about 35 degrees clockwise. If someone were standing at the view location, they wouldn't pick up or put down the cigarette at that angle.
rrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 05:11 PM   #32
Belly-laughs
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Belly-laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3d View Post
And what would you do t make it look more real? I have one lit right next to me, and it seems look about right. Not sure what to do with it.
you could always quit smoking… but like others have said, it now looks much better.
Belly-laughs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:15 PM   #33
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Looks great! The glass looks fantastic.

I think that maybe all that's left is the last 5% of grunging things up and what not. Add some scratches, dirt etc. to some of the stuff, some greasy smudges to the glass, some liquid dripped in the table, etc.

If it's a still, perhaps a lot of that can be done in Photoshop. Maybe a bit of depth of field, some grain, and some chromatic aberration as well. Renders usually come out of 3D looking perfect, but real cameras and lenses don't produce perfect images, so it has to be torn up a bit to look as realistic as possible.

I've never taken the time to add so much detail to a still render, though, so if you can do that, you'll be far ahead of anything I've ever made!

Nice work!
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:39 AM   #34
R1PPER
macrumors 6502

My question is what is this render. Is it just a still life render you have done for fun. Is it a portfolio piece for you. Is it a marketing piece for the unit.
R1PPER is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics