Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 22, 2014, 03:47 PM   #2676
hyune83
macrumors newbie

Any benefit of doing a fresh mavericks install?
hyune83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM   #2677
Muscleflex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyune83 View Post
Any benefit of doing a fresh mavericks install?
Not sure on OSX but on windows, I always do it every 3 months or so... coz Windows always puts and leaves crap everywhere slowing my machine down.

----------

Hi - thanks for this. I did as you suggested. I download CCC and copied the recovery partition (It did it really fast so wasn't sure if it did it right) but I transferred the SSD this morning and installed it from recovery and it did it fine.
I also had a copy of Mavericks on USB stick so I did it again but booting from the stick to do a fresh install of Mavericks.
So far so good and boot up time is now 10s compared to 37s.
I'll be keeping the old hard drive just in case

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlv View Post
Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/) can do that. Install CCC (free trial for 30 days) then; Get a cheap USB enclosure, install your new drive in the MacBook, install the old drive in the USB enclosure (other way around will work too). Boot up holding down the option key, select the old drive, initialize the new SSD using Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities folder) and then start up CCC. Select the Disk Center utility from the pull down "Window" menu and use that to clone your recovery partition to the new drive. Reboot - again hold down the Option key - select the new recovery partition, and use that to install the OS.
There are other ways to do this, but this should work as long as you have web access.
Muscleflex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM   #2678
slynger
macrumors member

After reading the above post, I'm slightly confused.

I'm finally getting the Samsung EVO SSD next month and want to clean install Mavericks (fresh install for a fresh drive) and then reload all my data. Do I need to make a Mavericks USB drive first? What's the best way to do this?
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #2679
ecschwarz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynger View Post
After reading the above post, I'm slightly confused.

I'm finally getting the Samsung EVO SSD next month and want to clean install Mavericks (fresh install for a fresh drive) and then reload all my data. Do I need to make a Mavericks USB drive first? What's the best way to do this?
I think the easiest way may be this - depending on when you bought your machine, Internet Recovery will load Mountain Lion or Mavericks:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2056...all-drive.html
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #2680
slynger
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecschwarz View Post
I think the easiest way may be this - depending on when you bought your machine, Internet Recovery will load Mountain Lion or Mavericks:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2056...all-drive.html
Didn't even know I could do that. Seems quite simple. I assume from there I could just load my drive with CCC to finish the process?
Old Today, 10:56 AM   #2681
ecschwarz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Didn't even know I could do that. Seems quite simple. I assume from there I could just load my drive with CCC to finish the process?
I take it that you have a clone of your current system on an external hard drive (or do you plan on repurposing your internal drive as an external?) To complete the process, I'd just use Migration Assistant if I had an existing drive with everything on it - CCC might overwrite some files and put things where they don't belong on a new installation. It will also bring things over from a Time Machine backup.
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #2682
slynger
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecschwarz View Post
I take it that you have a clone of your current system on an external hard drive (or do you plan on repurposing your internal drive as an external?) To complete the process, I'd just use Migration Assistant if I had an existing drive with everything on it - CCC might overwrite some files and put things where they don't belong on a new installation. It will also bring things over from a Time Machine backup.
I have an external I use for Time Machine backups. Is Migration Assistant where you pick and choose what transfers over?
Old Today, 11:25 AM   #2683
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

Quote:
I have an external I use for Time Machine backups. Is Migration Assistant where you pick and choose what transfers over?
Yes. But if you already have a TM backup made with Mavericks, if you want you can just option key boot right to that backup. Then you will see the recovery screen where you can use Disk Util to format your new disk and afterward quit DU and clcilc restore. That puts the OS and all your data back on the new disk.

If you plan to use Migration Assistant, the restoe gives you the same end result with fewer steps.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Tags
macbook pro, ssd