Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Is it safe to use the ipad power adapter with the new usb lighting cable of the iphone 5?

I always think that the ipad power adapters were better than the ones that came with the iphone 4 and 5.

Also when traveling you could use an adapter to use it in another country.

If I am right the first iphone use this power adapter, and then they replaced with the new one since the iphone 4.

Now Apple needs to rebuild the power adapter to be very similar than the one of the ipad but with a smaller size. I love the folding conectors.

original-apple-ipad-10w-usb-power-adapter-a1357-.jpg

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California
Is it safe to use the ipad power adapter with the new usb lighting cable of the iphone 5?

I always think that the ipad power adapters were better than the ones that came with the iphone 4 and 5.

Also when traveling you could use an adapter to use it in another country.

If I am right the first iphone use this power adapter, and then they replaced with the new one since the iphone 4.

Now Apple needs to rebuild the power adapter to be very similar than the one of the ipad but with a smaller size. I love the folding conectors.

Define "safe"

No, it wont start a fire or blow up your adapter or anything

But it will damage your iPhone 5 and reduce its overall battery capacity.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Short answer is yes the iPhone 5, 4s, 4, 3GS and all other iPhones will work with the 10W USB power adapter.

The device controls the charging process.

Dave

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
But it will damage your iPhone 5 and reduce its overall battery capacity.

Completely false.

The power supply has a maximum amount of power that it can deliver, but that power isn't constant or mandatory. 5W for the compact chargers that come with iPhones, 10W for the older iPad chargers and 12W for the newer ones. But, an iOS device will only take the maximum amount of current it can handle.

Bottom line: the iPad charger won't harm your iPhone 5 in any way. It will charge slightly faster, but won't max out the iPad charger's power output, and won't hurt your battery.

Further proof:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD836LL/A/apple-12w-usb-power-adapter?fnode=3c

Apple itself says the new 12W charger will work with everything iPod, iPad and iPhone, from the iPhone 5 all the way down to the iPod shuffle.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
This is posted at least once a week.

Where are the other posts asking about the ipad charger? I have not read anyone.

Thanks for all the ones that reply to my thread, it is good to know about this because I like more the ipad power adapter.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Don't do it!!! The end of the world will come sooner.
It wont damage your battery. I am using an iPad Charger to charge my old iPod Touch 4th Gen via cable using iPad Adopter 12 watts the difference is it will just charge slightly faster because of almost tripled power from volts required compared to lower voltage 5 volts adopter starting from iPhone 2G all the way up to iPhone 11 Pro

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong
The phones are sophisticated enough that it won't grab more than I can take or need. Funny how some people seems to be so misinformed based on the replies here.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It wont damage your battery. I am using an iPad Charger to charge my old iPod Touch 4th Gen via cable using iPad Adopter 12 watts the difference is it will just charge slightly faster because of almost tripled power from volts required compared to lower voltage 5 volts adopter starting from iPhone 2G all the way up to iPhone 11 Pro
Your responding to a 7 year old thread...

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.