Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
AAPL flash crash in progress. Stock down $10 in the last few minutes, WTF is going on? Can't find any news on what is causing it.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
A fall of less than 2% is hardly a flash crash. :rolleyes:

For a day, sure, but more than $10 in a couple minutes though? mobilehaathi is probably right though, just short-termers cashing in all at once. Thought that usually happened on Fridays though.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
For a day, sure, but more than $10 in a couple minutes though? mobilehaathi is probably right though, just short-termers cashing in all at once. Thought that usually happened on Fridays though.

It wasn't $10 in a couple of minutes. The stock had been down more than $2 all day when the hit occurred. You need to look at percentages, not dollar amounts, especially with a stock trading $450ish.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It wasn't $10 in a couple of minutes. The stock had been down more than $2 all day when the hit occurred. You need to look at percentages, not dollar amounts, especially with a stock trading $450ish.

Well it's down 2% right now while all the other big tech stocks are up. Does somebody know something ?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Western US

Yes, thanks, I know what percentages are. The point is it was flat all day and then dropped off a steep cliff, that's all I'm saying. And I wanted to know why that was happening. I know stocks go up and down, but when I see sharp drops, especially with AAPL, I want to find out what's happening because with all the media attention it doesn't take much for AAPL to spiral out of control on one piece of bad news, or rumor, or analyst comment.

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
Yes, thanks, I know what percentages are. The point is it was flat all day and then dropped off a steep cliff, that's all I'm saying. And I wanted to know why that was happening. I know stocks go up and down, but when I see sharp drops, especially with AAPL, I want to find out what's happening because with all the media attention it doesn't take much for AAPL to spiral out of control on one piece of bad news, or rumor, or analyst comment.

could be a big sale order went in. That going to push it down. Or some computers were watching it and a slight VERY slight drop tripped some sale orders which in turn tripped so more to cause it to drop by 2%.

Really it is such a minor change it is not worth any thing.

Also it is nearing the end of the day. You tend to see changes at the beginning and the end.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

AAPL is a volatile stock. Movements like these have been quite common for almost a decade now.

prizm

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
The stock is tanking. Perception is once again going south.

Apple really is just sitting there like a big lumbering idiot with nothing to say.

It's tragic really. They're just letting every other company on the planet out hype them. Terrible stuff.

The stay silent approach is killing this company. Who cares how much money they make if they lose the equivalent in stock price.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

Apple really is just sitting there like a big lumbering idiot with nothing to say.

It's tragic really. They're just letting every other company on the planet out hype them. Terrible stuff.

The stay silent approach is killing this company. Who cares how much money they make if they lose the equivalent in stock price.

I read this and I thought that you were joking.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

I read this and I thought that you were joking.
I wonder if he is joking.

Come on now, this happens frequently and Apple is not doomed.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
AAPL is a volatile stock. Movements like these have been quite common for almost a decade now.

We have a winner! Stocks, especially volatile ones like apple are pretty much impossible to predict, and any one day result is pretty meaningless.

My dad was the CFO of a company that would get bought up by Dell a few years ago - one day after an earnings call, their stock plummeted by a large number. I asked him if he was worried and if that meant anything bad. He said no, and said that you have to look at things in the long trend with stock value and that dips like this can happen and you should't read much into it unless there are other signs that there is trouble.

Suffice to say, I would be concerned if Apple was loosing tens of billions of dollars, or their CEO said that the company would not be making their estimated goals, or that they were restructuring major parts of the company (note 2 executives being replaced is not what I am talking about here). The stuff that pundents talk about is not what the stock is based off of.

Oh and my dad also told me that there are stocks out there whose performance doesn't always make sense and is so chaotic that people tend not to invest in for very long. It doesn't have anything to do with the company, just the money they are making. Being volatile just means that people buy and sell and speculate to get rich short term.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.