Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
After reading numerous posts here, it seems as though most either love or hate the iPad Mini. I found a comprehensive review (part of which addresses the retina display issue) which I found interesting:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/11/06/review-apples-ipad-mini/page1/#form

In closing, I think it's great that Apple released 2 different models (iPad 4 and iPad Mini) . . . one full size and one mini, so you can choose the iPad that best fits your needs. And the iPad 2 is still around for those who want that. I really don't understand the iPad Wars going on :( There is something for everyone . . . well most. And in the end. you will select the best model for you :)

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
After reading numerous posts here, it seems as though most either love or hate the iPad Mini. I found a comprehensive review (part of which addresses the retina display issue) which I found interesting:

In closing, I think it's great that Apple released 2 different models (iPad 4 and iPad Mini) . . . one full size and one mini, so you can choose the iPad that best fits your needs. And the iPad 2 is still around for those who want that. I really don't understand the iPad Wars going on :( There is something for everyone . . . well most. And in the end. you will select the best model for you :)

This is what I have been having trouble understanding. Why does it make some people so mad that some of us are happy with the iPad mini?

Could they have made it better? probably. Is the current mini bad value for money? not in my opinion I was very quick to sell my iPad 2 to replace it with a mini the form factor is exactly what I have been looking for to make it something I take out of the house more.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
If I cared for the iPod Touch 5 or iPad3 when trying those compared to my experience with the Mini, I would have kept them. BUT after a relatively short time with the Mini, Apple got my bucks.

Doesn't mean the others aren't good, this was BETTER for me!

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Me Too

This is what I have been having trouble understanding. Why does it make some people so mad that some of us are happy with the iPad mini?

Could they have made it better? probably. Is the current mini bad value for money? not in my opinion I was very quick to sell my iPad 2 to replace it with a mini the form factor is exactly what I have been looking for to make it something I take out of the house more.

I have no idea why some people are venting so much anger towards the iPad Mini and those who choose to own one. It's something like those who berate certain television shows but continue to watch instead of just changing the channel or turning off the TV. Or want it off the air so no one can choose to watch them LOL Oops, sorry didn't intend to inflame or offend anyone.

Could they have made it "better"? Perhaps, and I'm sure that the next model will reflect some improvements as is typically done with next generation models. I, too, was quick to sell my iPad 2 in favor of the iPad Mini. The iPad Mini happened to be exactly what I was looking for :) But again, to each his or her own. Different strokes for different folks ;)

----------

Doesn't mean the others aren't good, this was BETTER for me!

I absolutely agree :)
Couldn't have said it better, myself.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida

Well said.
I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 3, so I am used to the retina display. I also had an iPad 1, without the retina display. I love my iPad mini, the screen is wonderful and the size and weight is perfect.

For two iPad generations (well 2 years) the iPad display was magnificent and it was such a wonder that it could be in a device so light and thin. It was like the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then comes the iPad 3 with it's "resolutionary display" Yes , the display was even better and it made the iPad a little heavier and warmer. But it didn't make the previous 2 years iPads unusable. In fact they are still making and selling the iPad 2. Apple sold Millions of iPad 1 and 2's. Now Apple comes out with the mini with same resolution screen as those iPad 1 and 2's and they made it smaller, but now you have all these people complaining because it's not retina. Big deal, because of the smaller size it seems clearer than the iPad 2, and as far as specs go, it's specs far outshine the iPad 2, since aside from the screen most of the other specs are the same as an iPad 3 or 4. Why is it that all of a sudden everyone seems to think that if it's not retina it's garbage. I have no problem with my iPad mini screen and love my mini.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008

Well said. I have an iPad 1 + a 4S so for ME, the Mini is perfect. It's lighter, it's easier to carry, the resolution difference is negligible for my needs. I also have a 2008 MBP, 2010 MBP, 2011 11" MBA - all non-retina. If all your devices are retina, I can see where the Mini might fail your eyes.

In terms of usability, no 2 people use their devices the same way. Everyone has different needs. To each their own.

I love the Mini. I can't put it down.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Well said.
I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 3, so I am used to the retina display. I also had an iPad 1, without the retina display. I love my iPad mini, the screen is wonderful and the size and weight is perfect.

For two iPad generations (well 2 years) the iPad display was magnificent and it was such a wonder that it could be in a device so light and thin. It was like the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then comes the iPad 3 with it's "resolutionary display" Yes , the display was even better and it made the iPad a little heavier and warmer. But it didn't make the previous 2 years iPads unusable. In fact they are still making and selling the iPad 2. Apple sold Millions of iPad 1 and 2's. Now Apple comes out with the mini with same resolution screen as those iPad 1 and 2's and they made it smaller, but now you have all these people complaining because it's not retina. Big deal, because of the smaller size it seems clearer than the iPad 2, and as far as specs go, it's specs far outshine the iPad 2, since aside from the screen most of the other specs are the same as an iPad 3 or 4. Why is it that all of a sudden everyone seems to think that if it's not retina it's garbage. I have no problem with my iPad mini screen and love my mini.

Good post. I too have had every iPad released (not the 4th gen) and the mini is super. The display is beyond fine and the size is perfect. I don't think I ever used an iPad as much as I use the mini. Any sceptics that use it will find it really tough to go back to the full size one again, despite lack of retina. I have not experienced any lagging or issues with the A5 chip, and it is the most beautiful iPad to date! Given a choice of 4th gen or Mini, I choose the Mini. So much so that I gave away all my full size covers/cases as I know I will not go back to the full size iPad as long as it looks and weighs the way it currently does. Whenever retina does come to the Mini it will be even more amazing!

Last edited:

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
i really love the form factor of the mini. next year is going to be fantastic. ipad mini with retina and full size ipad light and thin. itll really come together next year but ill be more then happy to use my mini for a year.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Because the Internet is full of lazy people that are desperate to be noticed.

Hyperbole, FTW!

You forgot to mention the people who apparently think Apple smeared a jar of Vaseline over the Mini's screen ;).

No hyperbole involved ;) :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.