Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
the way I see it, Mini is good for two things

1) More portable than ipad. Take mini where you can't take/hold ipad.
2) cheaper (for those who think $100 is a big different, kids for example)

if you are not one of those two, then mini might not be for you. For me, I got ipad at home where I use most of the time or on long trip. Mini is too small for this scenario. when I go to work everyday, I got iphone. Mini is too big for this scenario. and I can afford extra $100 for the ipad.

being honest, Steve Job did not like 7". Apple is making Mini to fill the subsegment of people who can't spend $500 for ipad and to compete with amazon Kindle Fire.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
It's true about the default font size in safari. Apple will get on this soon I'm sure. they will get feedback and update safari for font adjustment. They will also start developing guidelines for developers.

They listen to feedback Very closely, so don't worry about it IMHO.

The Mini is an extremely fine portable thingy. If your confused about choices, get the larger one and save for the mini as a little sibling. I'm not selling my big one anytime soon.

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
I think i know what it is. Its that sometimes I want a bigger screen and sometimes I want something more portable. So ive decided to keep my mini and just go get a 16gig retina iPad.

I don't understand why people do things like this. If you have a MacBook already the mini will do u fine. If u don't the ipad 4 is amazing. Look at it this way do you see yourself purchasing the next ipad mini next year ,if not then go with the Futire proof 4. You don't need both you just "want" both much like a lot of other people on here..but I can't talk because I'm a splurger as well .theres 200 threads about keepin the mini,keepin the 4 so it's Yoour own decision.no need to let a few android fans change your mind

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Apple is making Mini to fill the subsegment of people who can't spend $500 for ipad and to compete with amazon Kindle Fire.

...and besides they will make a much greater killing not off that 'subsegemnt of people who can't afford to spend $500' but off all the millions other folks who will simply figure some obscure way to justify buying anything Apple whether they need it or not.

Hey, it is what it is.....:cool:

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest
I took my mini back yesterday and got a iPad 4. I agree it'll be very difficult to choose between a mini with retina or a slimmed down iPad 5. I'm a little Leary right now if I made the right choice. But my main reason was I really wasn't using the mini for a portable device, whatever I was doing on the mini I'd just do on my iPhone 5.

This is the main reason I took the mini back. I use my iPhone 5 quite a bit and didn't feel I needed the mini.

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Not sure why I am throwing my opinion out again because it seems like there are several dozen posts about this. I bought the mini loved the design but was not sold. I have been using it every day giving it a fair try and with each passing day it gets nicer to use. I still have my full sized iPad and its tough to want to keep them both because... whats the point in having two of the same devices in different sizes.

If it bothers you that much just return it. If you are anything like me, after wanting to return and it was in the box ready to go back... I had second thoughts because I liked the form factor. I have kids so the other iPad will not go unused.

Its not for everyone but if you give it at least a week, you may change your mind. If not... take it back. It sucks that you already sold your iPad 3 but hey... you can always get a 4.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I'm posting this from my mini. But I'm still on the fence. I study and prepare lessons completely from my iPad 3. The size of the mini was really cool for me. I travel weekly around the country and outside of the States. But so far I cannot prepare notes as fast with my mini. The keyboard is just to small. I don't game much so the old chip is not a problem to me. Would have rather had retina like my iPad 3 but I can live without it.

All in all the mini doesn't help me prepare faster for my lessons. So can I justify the cost just to have a smaller tablet when in reality I will still need to carry my iPad 3 with me to make my work easier. Taking two tablets around just adds to my backpack. :-/

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I have all three. The Mini serves as:

-Great book reader!
-Good back-up Camera when you're out of power on your iphone
-In-Bed device that doesn't get your arms tired
-Coaster

I just do understand the arms getting tired riff.

The full size ipad weighs about the same as an average hard cover book and I have never heard anyone complain about a book being too heavy to hold and read. In fact, it's easier on the iPad because you don't have to hold the pages open.

I just rest the iPad on my legs/knees in bed.
It's perfect.

The only spot the mini works better as an e-reader IMO - is in a bar or saloon and you don't want to look like a hipster pulling out a larger talet device. old men frown on that. The mini is more discreet.

bobby68

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
I have to think that Apple will fix the Safari issue - either allowing users to change the default font size, or automatically defaulting to a more readable (larger) font for the Mini.

It's as people have forgot about one of the great features of the original iPad: Double tap to zoom.

Most of the text on the internet is in columns, and it only takes a double tap to zoom to a column, and the text immediately gets bigger, and much easier to read.

Then sometimes the formatting of text is so it's VERY small, and hard to read, and it's not possible to zoom on such pages (ironical Macrumors mobile site is like that !). On my iPhone 4 and 5 it's only possible to read such sites in landscape mode, or send the article to Instapaper, to be able to read it !

I agree that it's also a flaw in mobile Safari. It should be like in HTC's Android devices, where the text is reflowing, regardless of how much it's zoomed in. To avoid having to side scroll.

But I recommend people to double tap on text, if it's to small to read comfortably, it makes all the different (in most cases), and it's very fast. And a double tap again, is zooming out, so the hole page is visible.

Last edited:

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
Exactly. I am typing this from my iPad 4. Its freaking beautiful.

Enjoy your 4. I just got my nicely-discounted refurb 3 in and really like it. My iPhone 4S is my portable device. My iPad is not too large to carry about if I'm going to need the larger screen.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Enjoy your 4. I just got my nicely-discounted refurb 3 in and really like it. My iPhone 4S is my portable device. My iPad is not too large to carry about if I'm going to need the larger screen.

Thank you! Now I have both.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
This is the reason I can't justify a mini, I have an iphone as the super portable media device and ipad retina as the bigger lounge portable device, soooo the mini serves what reasonable purpose?

I think 7" is a great size for gaming, personally. iPhone screen is too small and iPad is a little too big and heavy. Unfortunately, the iPad mini is a terrible product.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I have small issues with text size but whenever I hold a regular ipad I am willing to accept it.

HM Apple

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Today I returned my mini to an Apple retail store after using it for 5 days, and decided to stay with my gen 3 retina. I wanted both, the gen 3 for the display and home use, and the mini for outside the home and the overall light weight and portable. I do not have a smart phone. I'm in the late 60s and my eyesight is no longer 20/20. The retina display and fonts are definitely easier on my eyes and the size of the 10 vs 7 on screen was also a factor. I found myself zooming in on too many internet sites. Was hoping that the mini would do all and would eventually sell the gen 3 retina. After my hands on usage and viewing future rumors, think I will wait for the Ipad 5. On another note, returning the mini was easy at the Apple retail store, no stress in and out in less than 5 min. When you pay a couple dollars more you get exceptional customer service.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I just do understand the arms getting tired riff.

The full size ipad weighs about the same as an average hard cover book and I have never heard anyone complain about a book being too heavy to hold and read. In fact, it's easier on the iPad because you don't have to hold the pages open.

I just rest the iPad on my legs/knees in bed.
It's perfect.

The only spot the mini works better as an e-reader IMO - is in a bar or saloon and you don't want to look like a hipster pulling out a larger talet device. old men frown on that. The mini is more discreet.

Uh, I know plenty of people who complain about hardback books being heavy and unwieldy. After using an e-ink device for four years, I actually dread reading hardback books from the library as they are not comfortable in the same way. You rest the iPad on your legs/knees in bed, I like to read lying down some times, so that's not a possibility. For those of us that do read in a way that requires holding up the full-sized iPad, the weight can be an issue. I vastly prefer the form factor of the Mini and even though I am a vocal hater of the non-retina screen, could never go back to the size/weight of the iPad 3/4 myself. I just never reached for it in the same way I do with the mini, which is much more convenient for me.

What I don't understand is people who think that if something works for them, everyone else who prefers something different (lighter) is just a lazy whiner. I like thin lightweight devices. You prefer more screen real estate. I think it's fine we have our preferences and neither is incomprehensible to a reasonable person. The difference between you and me is that you, instead of realizing that just because the iPad's weight isn't an issue for you doesn't mean it is an issue for others, post comments suggesting that other people's preferences are not as valid as your own. I am not going around posting "OMG full-sized iPad is so heavy (for me). I can't believe ANYONE WOULD EVER CHOOSE IT OVER THE MINI." Thankfully we both have the choice between a full-sized iPad and an iPad mini.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Got a mini at launch because I thought the portability would suit me, but being a 15" Retina MBP owner, the low-res screen started to bother me a bit. Plus I wanted to read comics and the pages were just too small and needed zooming a lot. Took it back and got an iPad 4. Totally happy with it. Suits me much better, and although granted it weighs a fair bit more, it's still easy to hold and use. Plus due to the high quality image, and larger size you can read comics a page at a time with no issues. Loving it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.