Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willie5566

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Ever since getting my iPhone 5 I have been getting all of my wife's texts. I have no idea what changed. Is this an iCloud thing or what? How can I turn it off?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
thats why. iMessages are received by all devices that are signed into the account.

Sign out of iMessages (you can still use the same account for iTunes purchases since the logins are separate) and you wont get texts meant for her.

Willie5566

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Ok, I will try to set up a different account. It's just weird because i did not have the issue until I changed phones and I believe imessage has been out for a while.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ok, I will try to set up a different account. It's just weird because i did not have the issue until I changed phones and I believe imessage has been out for a while.

That's how it always worked.
If you use the same imessage login then it receives in all devices using the same account. Iphones, ipads, ipod touch etc....
Its not just now. Maybe hers or your iphone had imessages turned off before but not 100% what or why you didnt get them before.

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
I've just bought an iphone 5 and have carried out a factory reset via iTunes of my old iphone 4 and then unplugged it at the point where you are given the option of setting it as a new phone or backup from previous. I've then configured it enough to get to the home screen, removed the SIM card and the carried out erasing all data via the phones settings so it is now at the point where you need to configure it again, just like from new.

Will all of the above remove my iMessage account etc as I don't want the new owner to get any future or past iMessages from my account?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I've just bought an iphone 5 and have carried out a factory reset via iTunes of my old iphone 4 and then unplugged it at the point where you are given the option of setting it as a new phone or backup from previous. I've then configured it enough to get to the home screen, removed the SIM card and the carried out erasing all data via the phones settings so it is now at the point where you need to configure it again, just like from new.

Will all of the above remove my iMessage account etc as I don't want the new owner to get any future or past iMessages from my account?

Did you actually turn iMessage off on the iPhone 4 before you restored it?

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
Did you actually turn iMessage off on the iPhone 4 before you restored it?

I don't think so but after the first restore via iTunes I went and configured it enough to get to the home screen and when I did I went into iMessage etc and it didn't have any of my account details stored. Is that enough? This seems to be a bit of a headache and its a shame apple couldn't have created an easier way of solving this.

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
Would removing the iPhone 4 device from my support profile be enough to disassociate that phone and stop it getting any previous or future imessages?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I don't think so but after the first restore via iTunes I went and configured it enough to get to the home screen and when I did I went into iMessage etc and it didn't have any of my account details stored. Is that enough? This seems to be a bit of a headache and its a shame apple couldn't have created an easier way of solving this.

Doesn't seem to be enough based on people's restoring as new and still getting iMessages. Turning it off prior to restoring seems to be necessary to break the link to the iPhone's UDID.

You're both adults I assume so why would you share an iTunes account? Get separate accounts ffs and that will fix your problem.

It's for the purpose of sharing apps (so the same household won't have to pay twice). Many of us share apps but have separate accounts for iCloud, music, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.