Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:55 AM   #1
s-arash
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
iMac Mid 2011 Graphic Problem

hi

8 months ago, my imac suddenly started to crash, the screen became black with vertical lines, the color of the lines and screen changed everytime, i checked the internet,apple hardware test said that my logic board and etc are working fine, after that i reset the nv/pram and smc,installed graphic firmware v.20, format the hdd and installed the mac os and windows again, but the problem didn't solve
there's no applecare in my country, so i gave it to some local warrenty in my country, he said there's nothing wrong with logic board, i just needed a small service

after 8 months, i'm facing the screen with vertical lines again, its usually happens during the game.

what's the problem?


iMac Mid 2011 27"
Intel Core i5 3.10GHz
4GB Ram
6970M 1GB VGA
1TB Seagate (checked it on apple hard replace, it was ok, doesnt need replace)
Mac OS 10.7.0
Windows 7 SP1 (Bootcamp)

Last edited by s-arash; Nov 17, 2012 at 08:00 AM.
s-arash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Nihilius
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Problem like that is usually caused by GPU failure. Does your iMac have warranty left? If it does you should be able to get a replacement machine.

If your warranty has expired then you're pretty much out of luck. If you are handy you could replace GPU yourself but Apple doesn't officially support it. 6970m GPU is also quite expensive (around $500 IIRC) and hard to come by. You might find a professional to replace it for you. I once asked a local guy ands he told he would charge about $50 for the job if I could provide him with parts needed.

So last time you had this problem it was fixed when you took it for service? Maybe GPU is just overheating. Maybe there's some dust or something that affects GPUs cooling. You could take it for service again and see if they can do anything about it.
Nihilius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:34 AM   #3
Brisket
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I am having the same problem, I have the same computer and also run bootcamp. When ever I launch a game the display will crash on both Mac OS and Win7.

I'm taking my iMac into an applestore on tuesday to have it looked at

From what I can tell it is a graphics card issue, as I've reinstalled both OS' and drivers multiple times... I wish I could just open my computer, but I'd probably lose my applecare
Brisket is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:49 AM   #4
fastlanephil
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisket View Post
I am having the same problem, I have the same computer and also run bootcamp. When ever I launch a game the display will crash on both Mac OS and Win7.

I'm taking my iMac into an applestore on tuesday to have it looked at

From what I can tell it is a graphics card issue, as I've reinstalled both OS' and drivers multiple times... I wish I could just open my computer, but I'd probably lose my applecare
It's a bad GPU. I'm ready to do a logic board swap on my old iMac G5 that was doing the same thing. I finally found a decent price on a logic board and bought the necessary tools. I want to try and run Opcode's old Studio Vision Pro on it.

I just bought Apple Care on my 2011 iMac. I'm glad I did now!
fastlanephil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:33 AM   #5
s-arash
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
if its gpu problem, why apple hardware test says nothing about it? and how did they fix it 8 months ago?

and about overheating, how to check my gpu temp in windows? i used many softwares they say wrong values in windows like 50669 but in mac its around 70-75 in normal state
s-arash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:46 AM   #6
s-arash
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
here is the image

and DIY soloution? my warranty expired 1 month ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNC00052.jpg (1.35 MB, 151 views)
s-arash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:15 AM   #7
tears2040
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-arash View Post
here is the image

and DIY soloution? my warranty expired 1 month ago
So by you not paying $120-$200 for a warranty to be extended for another 2 years this is what you have to deal with..... You my friend will learn the hard way.....
tears2040 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:26 AM   #8
ibirmingham
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tears2040 View Post
So by you not paying $120-$200 for a warranty to be extended for another 2 years this is what you have to deal with..... You my friend will learn the hard way.....
Why would one need to buy applecare? Are iMacs that unreliable?
ibirmingham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:30 AM   #9
tears2040
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibirmingham View Post
Why would one need to buy applecare? Are iMacs that unreliable?
I would say any piece of electronic without warranty is bound for failure. That could be a cellphone, tv, computer to even the computer in a car engine. I would not own a single piece of equipment without it being under warranty. If I do I know that it's on me if it fails.

I just bought a new car and paid $2K for an extended 2 year warranty that covers tires, gap insurance, theft and some other bs I don;t even know. Point is, I pay for PEACE of Mind.
tears2040 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:18 AM   #10
s-arash
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tears2040 View Post
So by you not paying $120-$200 for a warranty to be extended for another 2 years this is what you have to deal with..... You my friend will learn the hard way.....
as i said in first post, there's no applecare in my country
s-arash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:54 AM   #11
ibirmingham
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tears2040 View Post
I would say any piece of electronic without warranty is bound for failure. That could be a cellphone, tv, computer to even the computer in a car engine. I would not own a single piece of equipment without it being under warranty. If I do I know that it's on me if it fails.

I just bought a new car and paid $2K for an extended 2 year warranty that covers tires, gap insurance, theft and some other bs I don;t even know. Point is, I pay for PEACE of Mind.
Makes sense, just miss the good old days when everything just worked...
ibirmingham is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Initiates Graphic Card Replacement Program for Mid-2011 27-inch iMac MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 209 Apr 9, 2014 02:41 PM
How to run a mid-2011 iMac with a mid-2013 gaming PC laptop in dual monitor mode? Matty Quinn iMac 1 Feb 18, 2014 11:23 PM
iMac restarts because of problem (mid 2011 21.5") jasoninmiami iMac 1 Feb 13, 2014 09:57 AM
mid-late 27" 2011 iMac Graphic Card Woes reluttr iMac 3 Oct 18, 2012 12:13 AM
iMac mid 2011 SL downgrading problem km9898 iMac 5 Sep 23, 2012 06:15 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC