Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:00 AM   #1
marcus8521
macrumors newbie

27 inch iMac GPU question

Hi guys. Mac newbie here, and I have a question about the GPU for the new iMac. I ordered my very first 27 inch iMac the morning they came out (which was very exciting. ). I kept it stock with the i5, 1TB HDD and the 675MX graphics card. I sort of regret not being able to upgrade (at the time) to the 680MX, and maybe to the i7, but I figured 3.2 ghz is still pretty good. I was wondering if after I received my iMac if I would be able to separately purchase the graphics card (I know it's a little bit more pricey that way) and install it myself and have a friend help me swap the cards, or if it would just be easier to change my order to have my iMac with the 680MX, although that would probably mean waiting until January. I desperately need the computer as soon as I can get it, though, which could be anywhere between the 24th and the 31st at least according to my order.

I was also wondering if the 675MX is a good card, or if after awhile it will start to feel 'old'.

Any ideas? Thanks for any and all future responses.
marcus8521 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:03 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

No, replacing the CPU is not a user friendly task...Just take a look at ifixit's teardown of the latest iMac.

I wouldn't worry about the speed of the I5, SB is a significant step forward and you will be fine. As far as graphics goes the dame thing applies...If you want the better GPU, change your order.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:13 AM   #3
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

It is obvious that you already have buyers remorse, you may as well save yourself the heartache, anguish, sleepless nights, and panic attacks, and upgrade to the i7 and GTX680mx now.

upgrading the gpu yourself is not really an option
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac