Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Dave26
macrumors regular

New iMac file and app transfer methods

Hey guys,

So while i wait for my new iMac to be dispatched and delivered i was wondering what the best way to transfer applications would be? i currently own a Macbook Pro and some of my applications and files i will want to transfer over to my new iMac when it arrives. What ways do you guys use? would drop box be easier?

This will be my first iMac cant wait for it to arrive
Dave26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:45 AM   #2
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave26 View Post
Hey guys,

So while i wait for my new iMac to be dispatched and delivered i was wondering what the best way to transfer applications would be? i currently own a Macbook Pro and some of my applications and files i will want to transfer over to my new iMac when it arrives. What ways do you guys use? would drop box be easier?

This will be my first iMac cant wait for it to arrive
When you start setting up your iMac, you'll have the option to migrate your stuff over. Or, if they're both running the same OS, then you could even clone the MBP and do it that way(but it would take longer).

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:52 AM   #3
The Monkey
macrumors 6502

what about dropbox?
The Monkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5

You can use Migration assistant using an ethernet cable, or thunderbolt if you have one, connect the two Mac's, and then follow the prompts, you can select what you wish.

Last edited by Macman45; Jan 23, 2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Typo
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Dave26
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
You can use Migration assistant using an ethernet cable, or thunderbolt if you have one, connect the two Mac's, and then follow the prompts, you can select what you wish.
It is only a few things that i want to send over to my new iMac, uni work, photoshop and so on. I don't have a thunderbolt i do have wifi if i could send the files over the internet? or dropbox i was looking at if that would work
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:11 AM   #6
itsamacthing
macrumors 6502

1. Turn off your old mac and unplug everything from it
2. Connect it via Thunderbolt or Firewire cable to your New Computer
3. With your new mac turned on, turn on the old one while holding down Apple T
4. Then use the Migration Assistant
itsamacthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
It is only a few things that i want to send over to my new iMac, uni work, photoshop and so on. I don't have a thunderbolt i do have wifi if i could send the files over the internet? or dropbox i was looking at if that would work
If you mean just personal data like documents and PShop data files you have made, then yes Dropbox would be fine for that. But if you mean moving the Photoshop app to the new machine, you will need to either reinstall PS on the new machine or use the Migration Assistant to move it over. In either case make sure you "deactivate" PS on the old machine and you still need to activate it with your serial number on the new machine.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Dave26
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
If you mean just personal data like documents and PShop data files you have made, then yes Dropbox would be fine for that. But if you mean moving the Photoshop app to the new machine, you will need to either reinstall PS on the new machine or use the Migration Assistant to move it over. In either case make sure you "deactivate" PS on the old machine and you still need to activate it with your serial number on the new machine.
I meant a mixture of both really, there are a few apps I want on my iMac such as photoshop, Final Cut Pro and a few games I got on Mac App Store. But also my uni document work.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
I meant a mixture of both really, there are a few apps I want on my iMac such as photoshop, Final Cut Pro and a few games I got on Mac App Store. But also my uni document work.
Sounds like Migration Assistant it the way to go then. Just connect an ethernet cable between the two machines and run MA during setup of the new machine.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:33 PM   #10
Dave26
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Sounds like Migration Assistant it the way to go then. Just connect an ethernet cable between the two machines and run MA during setup of the new machine.
Ok thank you for the advice :-)
Dave26 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac