Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:36 AM   #1
clangec
macrumors newbie

Not the first but not the last I'm positive...spilled coffee on MBA

but I spilled a cup of coffee (black) on the keyboard of my Air this morning. Did the whole dry it fast, shut it down, etc. It's upside down in the refrigerator right now. My question and I couldn't find anyone that tried it and maybe there is a reason that I'm not smart enough to know.

What would happen if I placed some paper towels across the keyboards and then put the Air inside a foodsaver bag and vac sealed it? Maybe wrap towels or rice around the outside. If its upside down the the largest air vents are around the keys wouldn't it pull all the coffee out of there.

Just wanted to know where my thinking might be off?

On the plus side, it was purchased with an Amex card within 90 days. So I'm off the apple tomorrow to get an est./not fixable for their paperwork. If I get out of this mess losing $178, I'll be happy!
clangec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:03 AM   #2
BeeJee
macrumors 6502

I would opt for a replacement. Too much risk of things breaking down the road.
BeeJee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:13 AM   #3
daonesteven
macrumors 6502

get the amex replacement

i spilled milk all over my keyboard and had my computer auto shut off 2 months after purchase. Got my $800 bill comped
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:17 AM   #4
clangec
macrumors newbie

So I just to make sure Apple says it's not repairable. If they give me the 'Not repairable' stamp tomorrow, I might give the Food Saver Vac a go and see what happens.
clangec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:19 PM   #5
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

Get the free replacement and pay another $7 for a keyboard protector. I have them on all three of my Macs.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:28 PM   #6
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clangec View Post
So I just to make sure Apple says it's not repairable. If they give me the 'Not repairable' stamp tomorrow, I might give the Food Saver Vac a go and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
Get the free replacement and pay another $7 for a keyboard protector. I have them on all three of my Macs.
Also consider a personal articles policy from your homeowner's/renter's insurer. I have one and it covers accidental damage, theft, loss, and mechanical failure. Mine is $60/year but that's high because it's New York. It is lower in other states.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:57 PM   #7
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by clangec View Post
but I spilled a cup of coffee (black) on the keyboard of my Air this morning. Did the whole dry it fast, shut it down, etc. It's upside down in the refrigerator right now. My question and I couldn't find anyone that tried it and maybe there is a reason that I'm not smart enough to know.

What would happen if I placed some paper towels across the keyboards and then put the Air inside a foodsaver bag and vac sealed it? Maybe wrap towels or rice around the outside. If its upside down the the largest air vents are around the keys wouldn't it pull all the coffee out of there.

Just wanted to know where my thinking might be off?

On the plus side, it was purchased with an Amex card within 90 days. So I'm off the apple tomorrow to get an est./not fixable for their paperwork. If I get out of this mess losing $178, I'll be happy!
Why is it in the fridge?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.L View Post
Why is it in the fridge?
Best avatar I've seen.
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air