Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:56 PM   #1
gadgetgirl85
macrumors 68040
 
gadgetgirl85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Australia
Send a message via AIM to gadgetgirl85
Best place to host website?

I need somewhere free to host my website (Not anything professional just a little one about me) Can anyone reccomend anywhere?
__________________
| 15" rMBP, 2.3 Ghz, 16gb ram, 512GB SSD|:apple" 27" 3.2 Ghz iMac, 8gb ram, 1TB HDD [/B] Follow me on twitter
My tech blog
gadgetgirl85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:03 AM   #2
Flowbee
macrumors 68030
 
Flowbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alameda, CA
www.blogger.com
__________________
Podophile.com >> Home of Nike+iPod hacks and FAQs.
Flowbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:08 AM   #3
x704
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Your own computer
__________________
You can fix anything with a screwdriver and a bigger hammer.
http://www.wneary.com/
x704 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 04:50 AM   #4
theappleguy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by x704
Your own computer
I wouldn't recommend that for three reasons:

1) Most people have slow upstream speeds;
2) You need to make sure your computer is on 24/7/365;
3) Many ISPs do not allow you to run servers on their connections.

I'm not sure about recommendations for free hosting myself. I've always though it to be a waste of time when you can get a pretty decent hosting plan for $30 or so per year.
theappleguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 09:56 PM   #5
Flowbee
macrumors 68030
 
Flowbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alameda, CA
If you want to design your own small site, A Small Orange is a great host with a $25 per year plan. If you just want to put up some info about yourself and a few photos, Blogger is a simple, free way to do that.
__________________
Podophile.com >> Home of Nike+iPod hacks and FAQs.
Flowbee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 09:51 AM   #6
SodaPopMonster
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Send a message via AIM to SodaPopMonster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowbee
If you want to design your own small site, A Small Orange is a great host with a $25 per year plan. If you just want to put up some info about yourself and a few photos, Blogger is a simple, free way to do that.

A Small Orange is great- Seconded.
__________________
The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%.-Douglas Adams
SodaPopMonster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:47 AM   #7
Butters
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK
Send a message via AIM to Butters Send a message via MSN to Butters
A Small Orange - Thirded
__________________
Butters is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:10 AM   #8
lexus
macrumors 68000
 
lexus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Depends Greatly On The Weather
Site5 (the service is impecable)
__________________
Why?
lexus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:22 PM   #9
elfin buddy
macrumors 6502a
 
elfin buddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Tuttlingen, Germany
AmbitiousLemon might be what you're looking for, if you're either a charity, student, artist, or freeware developer. I know that they weren't accepting new applicants for free websites as of a few months ago, but I see nothing on their site at the moment that indicates such.

Personally, I use NearlyFreeSpeech to host my private domain. It's a pay-as-you-go service, except for the $7/year fee for having your own domain. If you choose to host exclusively off their NSF domain, I don't think you even need to pay that.
__________________
Elf
May I dip my quill in your inkpot?
elfin buddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 01:06 PM   #10
AmbitiousLemon
Moderator emeritus
 
AmbitiousLemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: down in Fraggle Rock
Send a message via AIM to AmbitiousLemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfin buddy
AmbitiousLemon might be what you're looking for, if you're either a charity, student, artist, or freeware developer. I know that they weren't accepting new applicants for free websites as of a few months ago, but I see nothing on their site at the moment that indicates such.

Personally, I use NearlyFreeSpeech to host my private domain. It's a pay-as-you-go service, except for the $7/year fee for having your own domain. If you choose to host exclusively off their NSF domain, I don't think you even need to pay that.
We aren't accepting applications right now.

But I would second the recommendation for NearlyFreeSpeech. They have a unique way of charging where you pay a retainer then get charged only for what you use (rather than purchasing a plan that is much larger than what you expect to use). A small site such as yours would likely cost less than a penny a day, perhaps even as low as a penny a month.
AmbitiousLemon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 01:12 PM   #11
elfin buddy
macrumors 6502a
 
elfin buddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Tuttlingen, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbitiousLemon
We aren't accepting applications right now.
Aha, thanks for fielding that one, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbitiousLemon
But I would second the recommendation for NearlyFreeSpeech. They have a unique way of charging where you pay a retainer then get charged only for what you use (rather than purchasing a plan that is much larger than what you expect to use). A small site such as yours would likely cost less than a penny a day, perhaps even as low as a penny a month.
Yesir, they really do provide a great service. I particularly love how un-flashy their site is. Simple, to-the-point. Also makes it easy to open sub-sites of your own domain, should you choose to get one. I'm hosting WordPress blogs for several of my friends off my domain as well...all a piece of cake
__________________
Elf
May I dip my quill in your inkpot?
elfin buddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 01:19 PM   #12
jeremy.king
macrumors 603
 
jeremy.king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fox Lake, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by theappleguy
I wouldn't recommend that for three reasons:
1) Most people have slow upstream speeds;
This wouldn't really matter for a low traffic personal site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theappleguy
2) You need to make sure your computer is on 24/7/365;
If its a Mac, this isn't a problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by theappleguy
3) Many ISPs do not allow you to run servers on their connections.
While many have policies, some don't. I would even venture to guess that most don't even care unless you are maxing out the pipe on a shared Cable connection.

If your savvy and have lots of spare time, it doesn't hurt to run your own webserver. If not, I would recommend Surpass Hosting - although their rates have climbed recently, the service was outstanding and fast!
jeremy.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 01:33 PM   #13
elfin buddy
macrumors 6502a
 
elfin buddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Tuttlingen, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjr3
This wouldn't really matter for a low traffic personal site.

If its a Mac, this isn't a problem

While many have policies, some don't. I would even venture to guess that most don't even care unless you are maxing out the pipe on a shared Cable connection.

If your savvy and have lots of spare time, it doesn't hurt to run your own webserver. If not, I would recommend Surpass Hosting - although their rates have climbed recently, the service was outstanding and fast!
The biggest problem I've had with trying to host a website from my own PowerBook is that it puts itself to sleep rather frequently (I know I can change this), and that I often close it up to take it somewhere with me. I don't think hosting from your own computer is as feasible for laptop users as it is for desktop users, for obvious reasons
__________________
Elf
May I dip my quill in your inkpot?
elfin buddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 01:37 PM   #14
jeremy.king
macrumors 603
 
jeremy.king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fox Lake, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfin buddy
The biggest problem I've had with trying to host a website from my own PowerBook is that it puts itself to sleep rather frequently (I know I can change this), and that I often close it up to take it somewhere with me. I don't think hosting from your own computer is as feasible for laptop users as it is for desktop users, for obvious reasons
Sorry. Guess I should have stated if you are going to host from your home, use a dedicated machine...I didn't mean to infer using your everday machine or a laptop to host a website...Thats just silly.
jeremy.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 02:30 PM   #15
baleensavage
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: On an island in Maine
I've actually had really good results with Yahoo. Their prices are really good per bandwidth and they almost never have downtime. The only problems I've had with them are with Wordpress blogs, which they keep messing up the database (though they do fix it eventually). The nice thing about the yahoo hosting is you have access to everything through their Web site. You can even use their web site building software (which I havent ried out) or edit raw html through their Web site.
baleensavage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 01:53 AM   #16
wedgeantilles
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
The free tier of AWS (Amazon Web Services). Everything you need to get a small site up and running and complete control.
wedgeantilles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:10 PM   #17
sonofjay
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowbee View Post
If you just want to put up some info about yourself and a few photos, Blogger is a simple, free way to do that.
also along the simple, free and easy route would be Wordpress or Tumblr.

but if you need hosting, I can't stop gushing about HostGator.

Last edited by sonofjay; May 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added to post
sonofjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:19 PM   #18
Flood123
macrumors 6502a
 
Flood123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Living Stateside
Media Temple or DreamHost. In that order. Not free but well worth the $
__________________
Yada, yada, yada.
Flood123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:37 PM   #19
ChaosAngel
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: UK
You can easily host static content (or PHP) on Heroku for free. There is a short guide here:

http://www.lifeintech.com/blog/2013/...on-heroku.html
__________________
LifeinTECH
ChaosAngel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 11:22 AM   #20
KriKit
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by viccles View Post
I need somewhere free to host my website (Not anything professional just a little one about me) Can anyone reccomend anywhere?
Do you need to host dynamic code like PHP? Are you going to use a CMS or is it just going to be static HTML pages?
KriKit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 04:52 AM   #21
Meir David
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
You can host in wordpress...it would be better than blogger...it is free one too...
Meir David is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 06:34 AM   #22
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus View Post

Site5 (the service is impecable)
I've been with Site5 since 2008
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 04:59 AM   #23
Meir David
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
hi
How to use site5 can you give me a clear explanation...how should i use it
Meir David is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:46 AM   #24
sonofjay
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir David View Post
You can host in wordpress...it would be better than blogger...it is free one too...
don't pay for hosting when you don't have to (especially for a personal blog) . . . so wordpress, blogger, tumblr should be fine for 99% of people.

if you want to get fancy, then buy a domain name and have it forward to your blog on any of those sites.
sonofjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FREE] Last Place - save a place, share or find it later Timua iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 May 11, 2014 12:21 AM
host a website on a dynamic ip? G0meZ Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking 9 Nov 14, 2012 05:02 AM
Attempting to host Warcraft 3 - Not sure if this is the right place to post. Weeve90 Mac Basics and Help 0 Jul 5, 2012 06:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC