Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:57 PM   #26
skateny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson8765 View Post
Hey guys,

For about four years now I've known that I always wanted to own and use a Mac daily. I own a Windows 7 laptop and an iPad but I've always wanted to have an Apple laptop with Mac OS X. I was just wondering if an iBook G4 (1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM, Leopard, etc.) is worth getting for word processing, light web browsing, and garageband? It is only $150 shipped also, is that a good deal? Lastly, is there anyway I can watch YouTube smoothly with a third party program? Thanks!
You're getting a lot of good advice and suggestions here. Only you can know what works best for you.

With all the information I had a couple of years ago, I decided on a 1.33 MHz G4 iBook for $200. I've been happy with it since. Were I willing to spend more, I'd have gotten the more powerful PowerBook G4.*

I maxed out the RAM, replaced the DC-in board, bought a WiFi signal booster (after Airport Extreme crapped out) and added a replacement battery, all for $64.*

I'm very pleased with how it performs with web surfing, streaming video, playing audio/video and all other tasks (iTunes synch, WP and video conversion using AVC). Camino is my browser, and I use MacTubes, Mplayer and VLC for video. I use Bean for WP. I've trashed most Intel code with Xslimmer. I use Fluid for iCloud and other web pages.

All this is to say that there are ways to make this work for you that'll make your experience satisfying.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs