Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:19 AM   #51
Big-T
macrumors newbie

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/p...n/?page=mexico

That is a link to the "Other Plans" page on Verizon's website. The plans aren't front and center like the share everything plans and they are not available to be set up online (you have to go into a store or call Verizon directly). However, these plans (the Nationwide + Canada, and the Nationwide + Mexico) are the equivelant of the plans they've had for years, though some of the pricing structures have changed slightly.

These plans have set minute allowances and have extra charges for messaging, data, etc. The pricing of the add on features (messaging and data) have crept up over the years to the point that if you use very much data or do much texting it gets expensive to the point that the share everything plan gets more attractive, not because it's a great deal, but because everything else is so expensive.

I've begun to realize that Verizon (and AT&T for that matter) are just outrageous expensive. Unfortunately, I travel to some very rural areas quite often, and my Verizon phones almost never let me down (network wise), so I would really be taking a risk signal wise to switch.
Big-T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:21 AM   #52
skywalkerr69
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2811 View Post
Apparently, if you're an existing customer and it's time to upgrade you can keep 450min and add in 2GB of data for $30.
Not if you buy it at the contract price, you get the screw everyone plan.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:28 AM   #53
Reaper0bot0
macrumors regular

Sky walker, that is 100% incorrect. Existing customers cannot retain unlimited data if they upgrade, but they can certainly keep their voice and data plan as is. They do need to switch to some kind of tiered data plan, like the often-mentioned (in this thread) 2 gig plan for $30.
Reaper0bot0 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:34 AM   #54
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakraj View Post
What? You are telling him not to complain about high prices? Or what, are you going to rough him up a bit, maybe tap a knee cap? LOL

They have terrible prices, and no you cant leave without an ETF. You made no sense with your statement.
At least it makes everyone in the UK happy. For once, we are not paying more. At O2, iPhone5 32 GB + unlimited phone + unlimited text + 1GB = 299 + 26 per month over 24 months = 38.50 per month. (That said, they are trying to sell you contracts with "free" phones that are a lot more expensive. Save 50 on the purchase price of the phone, add 5 to the monthly fee for 24 months).
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:24 PM   #55
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

For an individual account $112 IS the cheapest Verizon plan for new customers/individual accounts upgrading if they want to buy their new phone with a subsidy. And that reason alone is why I went with AT&T instead. The fact that AT&T doesn't force you to have unlimited texting benefits me even more because for all the non-iMessage people I use Google Voice and had texting blocked to save an additional $20.
joshwithachance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:38 PM   #56
buddybd
macrumors 6502

Damn I used to have a Verizon Individual plan for $90 a month (2GB) with taxes, and thought that was expensive.

Share everything plans are a waste unless your entire family uses smart phones. My package consists of 2 dumb phones, and switching to Share Everything will increases base costs by $35 and then taxes on top of that.
buddybd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:41 PM   #57
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
For an individual account $112 IS the cheapest Verizon plan for new customers/individual accounts upgrading if they want to buy their new phone with a subsidy. And that reason alone is why I went with AT&T instead. The fact that AT&T doesn't force you to have unlimited texting benefits me even more because for all the non-iMessage people I use Google Voice and had texting blocked to save an additional $20.
question..do you have to use a different number for googlevoice? or is it possible to use your phone number.. from what i read you had to port it over..but then it wont work on your phone..
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:27 PM   #58
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

So for the average person that has a normal text plan (vs. dicking around with Google Voice), the difference between AT&T's cheapest individual plan and Verizon's cheapest "Share Everything" plan is $10/month.

I know it's subjective, and maybe it's because I'm getting older, but a $10/month difference between plans is something to consider, but doesn't put Verizon into the "absurd" or "outrageous" category, especially considering that extra $10/month increases voice minutes from 450 to unlimited, and adds tethering.

Personally, a 4GB Verizon "Share Anything" plan for my iPhone and iPad saves me $10/month compared to the individual AT&T plans I had for each, plus it includes tethering (on both devices), which is something I never used before, but have actually found to be quite useful on occasion (now that I have it).

Last edited by aristobrat; Nov 21, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:21 PM   #59
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
So for the average person that has a normal text plan (vs. dicking around with Google Voice), the difference between AT&T's cheapest individual plan and Verizon's cheapest "Share Everything" plan is $10/month.

I know it's subjective, and maybe it's because I'm getting older, but a $10/month difference between plans is something to consider, but doesn't put Verizon into the "absurd" or "outrageous" category, especially considering that extra $10/month increases voice minutes from 450 to unlimited, and adds tethering.

Personally, a 4GB Verizon "Share Anything" plan for my iPhone and iPad saves me $10/month compared to the individual AT&T plans I had for each, plus it includes tethering (on both devices), which is something I never used before, but have actually found to be quite useful on occasion (now that I have it).
if you want to waste money paying for texts rather than using the very easy google voice service, thats fine. nobody is complaining about the price of texts anymore anyway... it's the price of data that IS absurd. I've used over 30gbs this month of my unlimited LTE and still have another week left in the cycle.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
question..do you have to use a different number for googlevoice? or is it possible to use your phone number.. from what i read you had to port it over..but then it wont work on your phone..
they charge $10 to port your number over if you want to use it
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:24 PM   #60
Furifo
macrumors 6502

I'm very grateful for the pricing of plans here in Europe.

And no, I'm not here to gloat. I genuinely feel for you guys having to pay outrageous amounts for your smartphones.

Having said that, here in the UK, what we save on carrier plans, we lose in other stuff - especially fuel.
Furifo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:26 PM   #61
ViperDesign
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Actually, just found out that AT&T offers Individual Plans, whereas Verizon does not. On AT&T, you can get 450 min + Unlimited Text + 3GBs of data for $90 per month. On Verizon, the closet plan would be the one I mentioned above (Unlimited Mins and Text + 2GBs of data for $100 before taxes). It's so weird to me that Verizon no longer has Individual Plans (only Share Everything) but AT&T does.

Isn't their share plan like 10 bucks more a month with unlimited talk and text?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:23 PM   #62
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
You need a separate number. But you can have all calls forwarded to your actual mobile number so you can just give anyone without iOS the Google Voice number and be all set
joshwithachance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:30 PM   #63
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Google Voice seems like a pain to set up and use lol.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:39 PM   #64
colodane
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Google Voice seems like a pain to set up and use lol.
Not at all! I signed up for Google Voice when I did away with my landline here 2 years or so ago. Costs nothing, and I could pick from a host of available numbers. As others have noted, you just forward the Google number to your cell phone number. I don't have an iPhone, but it works great with my regular "dumb" phone.

The best part of all, is that if you keep your cell phone turned off like I usually do, any incoming messages will show up as an email on all your devices. Email is a written version (fairly good) of what the caller said. You can also click on an icon to hear the actual voice recording. It works great. And the price is certainly right

Since I've had this nobody even knows what my cell phone number is, just the Google Voice number.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:38 PM   #65
iforbes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thanks! When did you sign up for your plan? I'm confused because the website that I posted above says its $30 for 2GB of data. Are you on an individual non-family plan? How much do you pay in total per month?

Yeah, iforbes also said that he pays $30 for 2GBs. When/where did you get that deal because it says its $60 on the Verizon site? Are you on an individual non-family plan?
We have a 3 phone 750 talk minutes and unlimited text with 2GB for my phone and the total is around $135 including all taxes/fees/etc.

Is the $60 a share everything deal? If so, I don't think you have to take the deal...I think it is the default that comes up on the site. I would recommend calling and speaking directly to a service rep to see what else is available.
iforbes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:54 PM   #66
iAi
Banned

Vzw and Att get away for their price duopoly, highway robbery and should be on track earning massive profits this year & in the future because many are so willing to be robbed. I lol every time I hear their defenders, "you get what you pay for".
iAi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:45 PM   #67
fr4c
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkerr69 View Post
Not if you buy it at the contract price, you get the screw everyone plan.
Just wanted to point out that this is incorrect, as to not cause any confusions. If you're on a non-shared plan, upgrading to a smartphone will give you the old data options of 2GB for $30.

In fact just did an upgrade to an iPhone 5 last night. On the 1400 minute family plan with 5 phones. Upgraded my line from a dumb phone and was able to add the $30 2GB data with the iPhone with subsidized pricing.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone