Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jladner123

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Your receiver should have either zone 2 out speaker wire connections, or zone 2 line out. If you want to listen to music outside, run some speaker wire from zone 2 out on the back of the receiver to outside. Speaker wire is cheap and can be purchased almost anywhere. This would allow you to use the apple tv hdmi to onkyo receiver and get a pure digital signal. The receiver will send the music through the speaker wire to your speakers outside. Keep it simple.

The speakers are connected to zone 2 speaker terminals, not the zone 2 line out. The problem is zone 2 will not accept OR output a digital signal whether you are using zone 2 powered speaker terminals or line out.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
The speakers are connected to zone 2 speaker terminals, not the zone 2 line out. The problem is zone 2 will not accept OR output a digital signal whether you are using zone 2 powered speaker terminals or line out.

I don't know then. There is a setting you are not seeing. Good luck.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
No, the problem is the :apple:TV, the DAC or maybe the optical cable. The feedback keeps trying to make it something else but here's what I think I see:
  • He's got a working Zone 2 setup already (for example, FM works through Zone 2). That rules out speaker issues or wiring to speakers. He's getting Zone 2 sound from other sources.
  • He's pushed his own music directly to Zone 2 via an iPod test hookup. Again, that's analog out of the iPod so that's compatible with an analog-in need of Zone 2.
To me, this rules out the Receiver or a Receiver setting. He knows Zone 2 is working because it's working with stuff other than this :apple:TV.

If he wants to rule out the DAC, a good test would be to run some other audio source into it's Optical in- maybe a DVD or Bluray player and see if he can get audio from an optical disc playing via Zone 2. If so, that will rule out the DAC and the optical cable and narrow the problem down to just the :apple:TV.

If so, the next test I would execute would be to link the optical out from the :apple:TV to an optical in on the Receiver and see if he can get sound through that input (not Zone 2). If not, I would conclude that optical out on the :apple:TV is not working and talk to Apple about an exchange/repair.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I purchased the same converter from monoprice to use for zone 2 onkyo 608 receiver with my apple tv3 running the latest iOS update and I can't get it to work. I have changed the Dolby digital output to off and still no luck. Is there another setting in the apple tv I am overlooking?

I have tried the converter with a TiVo HD with optical out to a small stereo system via RCA and it works fine. I was thinking the converter was faulty but that test might have proven otherwise. I have tried restore, reset, and additional inputs on the receiver. Any suggestions before I return everything?

I use the Monoprice converter to play Zone 2 audio, and here is how I have it set up:

1. First, don't assume your converter works. Mine worked for about a month and then went silent. Took me a while to test everything and discover it was the converter that was dead. Sent it back to Monoprice and they sent me a new one, which works fine so far.

2. Set everything to "Auto". Dolby Digital, Audio Output, HDMI Output all to auto on your ATV. On your receiver set the Input Mode to auto and the Decode Mode to auto.

3. NB, be sure that on your receiver BOTH your component input and HDMI inputs are assigned to the input you are using for your Apple TV.

4. An earlier poster stated that only one or the other of your ATV outputs is live at one time (i.e. the HDMI or Toslink). That's not true. Both output signals simultaneously.

This is the way I have my set-up and it works perfectly. I can listen to my Apple TV via Zone 2 on my outdoor speakers (with the Apple iPad remote and Denon remote on my iPad, I have complete control of everything via WiFi.)

If you set your's up exactly like this and it doesn't work then you have a faulty component somewhere. Then you have to test them one at a time to see what is not working.

Good luck.

Onil

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
Is the AppleTV going to be used only for music, or also video? If music only, an Airport Express can be connected directly to your stereo and provide Airplay audio. If you want video also, the ATV is the way to go.

For what it's worth, I use a Monoprice D/A converter with my ATV3 to run analog audio into my receiver for my outdoor speakers (most receivers will only route analog sources to alternate zones). Works great, costs $20 or so. If the TV analog out doesn't work, this is a pretty effective and affordable way to go.

I have a Ferguson Hill FH007 speakers. they have their own amplifier and they have RCA input..
I want to use Airplay with them but Apple's airport express are too expensive for "what they do" and i want to buy an Apple TV (same price and i can mirror my ipad etc)
My question is:
If I buy monoprice's DAC i wont have any problem right? I can use my speakers with my iPad/iPhone/Mac without TV ON right?
i know that the DAC only outputs stereo, but my speakers are stereo...Right?

thank you

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
I have a Ferguson Hill FH007 speakers. they have their own amplifier and they have RCA input..
I want to use Airplay with them but Apple's airport express are too expensive for "what they do" and i want to buy an Apple TV (same price and i can mirror my ipad etc)
My question is:
If I buy monoprice's DAC i wont have any problem right? I can use my speakers with my iPad/iPhone/Mac without TV ON right?
i know that the DAC only outputs stereo, but my speakers are stereo...Right?

thank you

Yes, what you're describing sounds like it should work just fine. You'll want to have the ATV hooked up to a tv for set up, but once it's set up you'll be able to send music to it without having to have the TV on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.