Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

space777

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Solution...

I had the same problem as many of you, my calls would automatically come through the BT on my stereo but not the turn by turn voice navigation via Siri. I figured out how to do it. BT car stereos have an automatic BT feature which automatically takes your calls, but in order to play music from your phone or get turn by turn voice navigation you must select the BT Audio setting on your stereo which accesses these additional BT features of your iphone. Alternatively you could plugin the Dock Connector Cord if you have an iphone USB connection on your stereo which will bypass the BT alltogether but works just as good, infact this method is better regarding music. The BT Audio setting I mention is easy to find on any stereo, your stereo is either in Tuner, CD, BT Audio, AUX or Ipod/USB mode, so toggle through till you get BT Audio, although your stereo might have these options worded a bit differently. Note, when you do the USB connection method it usually automatically engages this mode for you. Its a little confusing to those that dont use their iphone for music in their car because their use to their phone calls being automatically routed through BT. But i'll repeat, to listen to music or get turn by turn navigation you have to manually select these features with the above instructions. It seems Apple doesnt want people interacting with Siri while driving, the instructions I've given above allow you to receive turn by turn voice navigation but in these mode settings Siri will not be able to hear any further commands making it a one way communication, you can hear the directions but you cant give any further instructions to Siri. This would make it hard to change your destination while driving. I believe this is because normally you have to hold down the home button to activate Siri which would ofcourse be illegal while driving. The best solution ive found is to first decide whether to switch to BT Audio setting on stereo deck or plugin the USB connector, then in order for Siri to hear me while im driving i'll have my ear buds plugged in. The ear buds allow you to talk to Siri by holding down inbetween the volume controls. Touching your ear buds cord with a single ear bud in your ear is perfectly legal unlike touching your phone and i believe this is why Apple has set things up this way. Its a bit of a confusing work around but i must admit not being able to touch my phone is a safer way to drive. My only grief is that I had to figure this out on my own.. nowhere have I found any official instructions which is why im posting it here. Good Luck! ;)

----------

There is no bluetooth icon on the map?

tap anywhere on the map once, then the icons appear at the bottom, although at this point your bluetooth is already engaged and im not sure you need to do this. Read my previous post as it might be helpful.

Last edited:

Nevrsadie

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2006
Dark side of the monitor
2011 ford explorer with my ford touch. Works perfect when streaming bt audio or via usb. But will not interupt regular radio or SXM. Worked exact same with my my ip4 and now my ip5. Would be great if it interupted like a phone call, no matter what you were listening too.

Stuthomas1940

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Turn-by-turn, bluetooth, and music

I have no trouble getting all three to work with either iMaps or Googlemaps on my 4S with iOS6 in my 2012 Suburu Impreza

My problem is that, when I turn on bluetooth in the car, it automatically turns on either iMusic or Pandora, which ever I last listened to.

Normally this isn't a problem. But when I want to use turn-by-turn in traffic in an unfamiliar place I don't want music playing. And I can't find a way to only have t-b-t through bluetooth without the music.

I've tried completely turning off the music by double-clicking the home button, then starting maps. Doesn't work. The bluetooth starts music as soon as I turn the audio on in the car.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

falkedup

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
I think there's 2 types of people here, ones that use the Bluetooth setting on thier car stereo and ones that use regular audio settings(aux, radio, sat etc.)
the ones who use the Bluetooth setting are most likely the ones not having any problems with tbt because they have it set so all audio goes through thier car speakers.
Other people like me have an iPod attached to the car stereo aside from my iphone, so I'm using the iPod setting and not the Bluetooth even though the Bluetooth is active. all my calls and Siri commands play through the car speakers and will mute the iPod or radio. maps does not. it continues to play from the iPhone speakers.
now if u try google maps navigation it will override the car audio no matter what which is what the apple maps should do.
if u want to test this, keep Bluetooth connected on both the phone and radio but put the radio on FM or aux and use both maps apps for turn by turn and u will see what everyone is talking about

sorry to beat a dead horse but it seems like people still weren't understanding the situation

----------

and to be clear, it's definitely not the head units/stereos, it's the way the app was written and needs to be fixed

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
On my 4S, turn-by-turn works over my Plantronics Voyager BT earpiece, but the first couple of seconds of each utterance is truncated.

So it's not just me! Mine does the same thing, unless I'm streaming music over bluetooth, then the turn-by-turn instructions are heard completely. If music is not playing, then I miss the first 1.5 seconds of voice.

For example, instead of "in 1.5 five miles, the exit is ahead on the right", I'll hear "....iles, the exit is ahead on the right".

Stuthomas1940

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Almost the same

The problem I have is _almost_, but not quite the same as that of the last post. I don't lose the first few seconds when music is playing through Bluetooth. In fact, TBT interrupts the music to give directions. And (wonder - of - wonders!) Applemaps' directions are much louder and easier to hear then Googlemaps.

All I want to be able to do is have the TBT play through my Bluetooth with NO music to distract me in heavy traffic.

Cativo

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
I just wanted to chime in with a possible solution. However, your phone must be jailbroken in order to take advantage of this fix.

First of all, I can confirm that the problem is indeed related your car's ability to switch from the mono hands-free headset profile to the stereo A2DP streaming profile. With my vehicle (Toyota Prius), the BT is always in hands-free mode by default. As such, any mono hand-free sound comes in automatically. To stream in stereo A2DP sound, my car requires me to manually change the input source to this type. Now it so happens that the iPhone uses the mono hands-free for Siri responses, but uses Stereo A2DP for navigation. Therefore, if I don't change my input source when navigating, I won't hear anything. Siri responses come in automatically though.

The solution for me was to install a jailbreak tweak called BTMono SBSettings. This tweak, when you turn it on, redirects all sound (including A2DP stereo) through the mono hands-free profile. So when the stereo navigation speaks, it now comes through the car audio automatically since it is coming in through the mono hands-free profile instead of A2DP stereo. In addition to this tweak, I also installed another tweak called SBProfile, which will automatically change the settings of my phone depending on certain triggers. For this issue, I set the trigger to be whenever the phone connects to my car's Bluetooth. When it does so, the phone automatically turns on the BTMono tweak, channeling all sound through the hands-free profile. When I leave the car (disconnecting the BT) it returns the setting as it was before.

Now, anytime I ask Siri for directions, the navigation streams in as it should. Problem solved!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

DEG1

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
N. Chicago Burbs
My cheap little car doesn't have A2DP in the radio. So, the only way I am able to get turn by turn directions through the radio is to have a Skype call active. Then turn by turn voice comes through the radio great, but it steps on the Skype call audio which is actually what I'd want it to do. I can alway say "what did you say? My GPS was talking at the same time as you".

pnd4pnd

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
I just wanted to chime in with a possible solution. However, your phone must be jailbroken in order to take advantage of this fix.

First of all, I can confirm that the problem is indeed related your car's ability to switch from the mono hands-free headset profile to the stereo A2DP streaming profile. With my vehicle (Toyota Prius), the BT is always in hands-free mode by default. As such, any mono hand-free sound comes in automatically. To stream in stereo A2DP sound, my car requires me to manually change the input source to this type. Now it so happens that the iPhone uses the mono hands-free for Siri responses, but uses Stereo A2DP for navigation. Therefore, if I don't change my input source when navigating, I won't hear anything. Siri responses come in automatically though.

The solution for me was to install a jailbreak tweak called BTMono SBSettings. This tweak, when you turn it on, redirects all sound (including A2DP stereo) through the mono hands-free profile. So when the stereo navigation speaks, it now comes through the car audio automatically since it is coming in through the mono hands-free profile instead of A2DP stereo. In addition to this tweak, I also installed another tweak called SBProfile, which will automatically change the settings of my phone depending on certain triggers. For this issue, I set the trigger to be whenever the phone connects to my car's Bluetooth. When it does so, the phone automatically turns on the BTMono tweak, channeling all sound through the hands-free profile. When I leave the car (disconnecting the BT) it returns the setting as it was before.

Now, anytime I ask Siri for directions, the navigation streams in as it should. Problem solved!

I finally had a chance to try this - while i was so excited about the potential, it's been a let down. Any time you get a notification (txt or email or whatever) it mutes the radio for several seconds, play the tone and then unmutes the radio. if you are streaming a2dp it just plays the tone over the radio.

too bad, but thanks for the suggestion! i can't believe more people dont complain about this.

- Eric

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL

I have a Prius and I have no issues with this at all. It will automatically switch between the mono hands free and stereo streaming seamlessly as long as I have the Bluetooth input method selected. I can have maps open, and initiate siri without touching my cars input button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.