Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Hi,

I have a 2011 MBA 11" and suddenly a few hours ago, one of the speakers went bad.

Applecare plan is still in effect. In two other threads in MR, opinions varied if these are covered due to user fault (maximum volume or whatever) which honestly sounds unacceptable. What's the point of the applecare anyway if they won't cover it. Also, on apple website, applecare stipulates a very general coverage of : "your mac computer" and does not go into the details of specific components as for the display for example.

Contract doesn't seem too specific either.

Also, in Greece apple operates via authorised service providers. I do sincerely hope they won't try hustling me into paying for the repair. I would hate to start over new submissions to consumer protection organisations. Too much of a hassle. I just want my speaker fixed and my computer up and ready in 48hrs tops.

I am taking it in tomorrow morning for the check and ask about the repair, if it's covered and how long will it take, hopefully all will go smooth.

Any input on the coverage would be great.

edit--
I updated firmware in case it was a software issue, but no luck

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I am taking it in tomorrow morning for the check and ask about the repair, if it's covered and how long will it take, hopefully all will go smooth.
If you did nothing that would've damaged the speaker under normal conditions, I would go in with the expectation that it would be covered.

dannyp1996

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
United Kingdom
As you are in Greece remind them that under EU law electronic products are covered by a mandatory 2 year warranty, regardless of the manufacturers standard or extended warranty procedures.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
If you did nothing that would've damaged the speaker under normal conditions, I would go in with the expectation that it would be covered.

unless watching & editing videos and web surfing are considered damaging to the speakers, all should be well. I am still just worried if speakers are covered though.

As you are in Greece remind them that under EU law electronic products are covered by a mandatory 2 year warranty, regardless of the manufacturers standard or extended warranty procedures.

Big news, I know, do you think they will care? They'll just tell me that this is the imposed policy.

We are not a country to take such big leaps against huge corporations. Italy & Germany are spearheading the fight against this, let's see how that goes, maybe then we will follow suit.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Do I detect a hint of guilt?

Anywhoo, Apple is Global Company, whoever they partner with is gonna abide by the E.U. rules. That's how it works in the West.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Let us know the out come, please!

thanks, will do

no, only anxiety as I have had my run ins with these people several times.

with my old 2007 MBP I have had several issues when it was newly bought, then with some service issues 5 years down.

I am just worried they will come up with some stupid reason not to cover.

Anywhoo, Apple is Global Company, whoever they partner with is gonna abide by the E.U. rules. That's how it works in the West.

They do not abide by EU rules in Greece.

http://www.plaisio.gr/laptop-tablet/laptop-notebook/laptop.htm?Manufacturer=Apple

http://store.istorm.gr/b2c_istorm/b...4C2625C7B&pa=97FC82FE4EF70A44AFC0D566CDD41221

εγγυηση = warranty
1 ετος = 1 year

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-13 at 9.54.35 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-13 at 9.54.35 AM.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-13 at 9.52.47 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-13 at 9.52.47 AM.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Depending who you get at the store, they may lure you into saying something that can void the warranty. When i got my keyboard replaced.. the very nice gentleman that helped me asked me about 5 times if something spilled on it, if I used liquid to clean the keys, etc. He was very well programmed with the questions. Eventually I got upset, the system was immaculate, there is no liquid damage and he stopped asking questions.

Something like a speaker is easy into luring a customer into saying they were playing it at max volume for 5 hours and eventually it blew. Sometimes less is more.. just say you turned on your system and the speaker sounded funny. No need to elaborate.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Depending who you get at the store, they may lure you into saying something that can void the warranty. When i got my keyboard replaced.. the very nice gentleman that helped me asked me about 5 times if something spilled on it, if I used liquid to clean the keys, etc. He was very well programmed with the questions. Eventually I got upset, the system was immaculate, there is no liquid damage and he stopped asking questions.

Something like a speaker is easy into luring a customer into saying they were playing it at max volume for 5 hours and eventually it blew. Sometimes less is more.. just say you turned on your system and the speaker sounded funny. No need to elaborate.

I finally made it to the store 10 minutes before they closed, just enough time to throw them my questions and they in turn theirs.

Yes, they did ask me if I did spill something on the computer, and they told me that unless I had, applecare should cover it, but they do have to diagnose it. They said that it might be a cord that has detached itself. They also said that apple acts funny when it comes to Airs as everything is soldered.

As soon as I finalise a couple of projects I have to take it and leave it. They said about 3 days...I can get my car serviced faster at the official service site. jeez

thanks to all for your comments, will keep you posted

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010

Not necessarily. I have been cheated by a "Premium Reseller" and "Authorised Service Providor" more than once in Australia, wherei had to go to the Apple Store instead (and it was not near). Similar things happened in Kuwait, except there is no Apple Store here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.