Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 31, 2013, 10:46 AM   #76
antonneumann
macrumors newbie

Missing the point: Support for 3G

With all due respect I think anyone justifying Apple removing support is missing the point. Applications for iphone 3G have already been developed and run perfectly OK ie they don't need support. All that is needed is that the apple store allows users to install different versions of an app. I gave my 3G to my wife but was then shocked to find that because she registered it in her own name, apps like Kindle would no longer run on it and that the old version couldn't be re-installed. Although I'm an Apple fan it made me think twice before buying a new iPhone. And it has certainly wiped off any resale value the 3G might have had. I think it's disgraceful that Apple don't simply allow apple store users to select which version of an app they want so that old 3G's can continue to work and indeed so that brand new iphone 5's continue to work when they in turn reach the ripe old age of 4 years old. Surely this would not cost very much in terms of setup or indeed maintenance and would stop people like me bad mouthing apple on this issue.
antonneumann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 11:27 AM   #77
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonneumann View Post
With all due respect I think anyone justifying Apple removing support is missing the point. Applications for iphone 3G have already been developed and run perfectly OK ie they don't need support. All that is needed is that the apple store allows users to install different versions of an app. I gave my 3G to my wife but was then shocked to find that because she registered it in her own name, apps like Kindle would no longer run on it and that the old version couldn't be re-installed. Although I'm an Apple fan it made me think twice before buying a new iPhone. And it has certainly wiped off any resale value the 3G might have had. I think it's disgraceful that Apple don't simply allow apple store users to select which version of an app they want so that old 3G's can continue to work and indeed so that brand new iphone 5's continue to work when they in turn reach the ripe old age of 4 years old. Surely this would not cost very much in terms of setup or indeed maintenance and would stop people like me bad mouthing apple on this issue.
Now that sucks. Not being able to do what you once could I'd just wrong IMO.

I can understand it no longer being supported and nothing new being done for it. Every time I turn on my old Moto Droid 1 (not as old as the 3G) not only does everything on it still work I still get a bunch of app update request.

After reading this though I don't think I'm ever going to wipe it without a lot of research.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 09:24 AM   #78
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Send 'em to the recycler. They are way too old, don't have enough power to keep up with current applications. Get a new iPhone.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
goodbye, ios4, ios6, iphone 3g, iphone 5