Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 13, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1351
JoshGlzBrk
macrumors 6502a
 
JoshGlzBrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alveezy View Post
Hmm...I've been reading on the past couple pages back that if you use the upgrade on the line that has the unlimited data. You'll lose the UDP on that line even if the upgrade is going towards another line. Seems risky unless someone can confirm that this is feasible???
Many people on here are misinformed. It's not the contract renewal that triggers a loss of unlimited, it's the activating of a subsidized device (that has never been previously activated) on a line that has unlimited data. When you transfer the upgrade from your unlimited line to another line, you're extending the contract of your unlimited line. But, because you're activating it on the line you transferred the upgrade to, you do NOT lose unlimited on the line the upgrade belongs to.
__________________
iPhone 5 16GB White (Verizon unlimited LTE) | 2012 15" rMBP 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB | iPad 3 | iPhone 4S | 2011 13" MBA | iPad 3 | iPhone 4 | iPhone 3GS | 2012 15" MBP (Sold 4/24/2012)
JoshGlzBrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 03:10 AM   #1352
Alveezy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGlzBrk View Post
Many people on here are misinformed. It's not the contract renewal that triggers a loss of unlimited, it's the activating of a subsidized device (that has never been previously activated) on a line that has unlimited data. When you transfer the upgrade from your unlimited line to another line, you're extending the contract of your unlimited line. But, because you're activating it on the line you transferred the upgrade to, you do NOT lose unlimited on the line the upgrade belongs to.
Hmm you might have a point there? But why would they extend the line with an unlimited data plan? i thought that when you renew your contract. you agree to newer plans or asked and forced to new plans to get the subsidy price?
Alveezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 07:04 AM   #1353
aneftp
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alveezy View Post
Hmm you might have a point there? But why would they extend the line with an unlimited data plan? i thought that when you renew your contract. you agree to newer plans or asked and forced to new plans to get the subsidy price?
Don't ask why. Just do the loophole. Verizon's computer system (at this time) are not able to recognize the loophole switch.

Verizon wil eventually stop it.

Verizon stopped the amazing unlimited saga loophole back in march 2012. Verizon had ended unlimited data in June 2011 for new users. I signed up for verizon in December 2011 and was able to use the loophole to get unlimited data (without paying for someone's account). I simply added unlimited hotspot via customer service. But since customer service couldn't add unkikited hotspot without unlimited data. They added unlimited data to make the hotspot work! Than I deleted the hotspot and kept the unlimited data. Verizon closed that loophole in march 2012.
aneftp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 01:31 AM   #1354
yawnyj
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Don't ask why. Just do the loophole. Verizon's computer system (at this time) are not able to recognize the loophole switch.

Verizon wil eventually stop it.

Verizon stopped the amazing unlimited saga loophole back in march 2012. Verizon had ended unlimited data in June 2011 for new users. I signed up for verizon in December 2011 and was able to use the loophole to get unlimited data (without paying for someone's account). I simply added unlimited hotspot via customer service. But since customer service couldn't add unkikited hotspot without unlimited data. They added unlimited data to make the hotspot work! Than I deleted the hotspot and kept the unlimited data. Verizon closed that loophole in march 2012.
I used this loophole in September of 2012 to get my iPhone 5 by using an upgrade on my son's line and then transferring the phone to my line . It still worked then . We are on a family plan .
yawnyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:09 AM   #1355
Namji
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGlzBrk View Post
Many people on here are misinformed. It's not the contract renewal that triggers a loss of unlimited, it's the activating of a subsidized device (that has never been previously activated) on a line that has unlimited data. When you transfer the upgrade from your unlimited line to another line, you're extending the contract of your unlimited line. But, because you're activating it on the line you transferred the upgrade to, you do NOT lose unlimited on the line the upgrade belongs to.
This is what was explained to me by a VZW rep as well.

1. Call VZW repand activate the subsidized iPhone on the line I got the phone from.
2. then immediately deactivate it by calling VZW rep. back again.
3. activate the original phone back onto the line with its original plan.
4. activate the subsidized iPhone to the unlimited line with no problems with losing unlimited plan.
__________________
2013 iPhone 5S Space Gray on VZW - 64GB
2010 15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB Memory, 320GB hard drive.
2012 Apple TV. 2012 iPad Mini Silver 32GB. 2010 iPhone 4 Black on VZW - 32GB
Namji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:15 AM   #1356
SipperyPete
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namji View Post
This is what was explained to me by a VZW rep as well.

1. Call VZW repand activate the subsidized iPhone on the line I got the phone from.
2. then immediately deactivate it by calling VZW rep. back again.
3. activate the original phone back onto the line with its original plan.
4. activate the subsidized iPhone to the unlimited line with no problems with losing unlimited plan.
You really don't have to call anyone...you can do it all online. The phone will come ready to be activated on the line that it was purchased on...just turn it on. Make a call or two to confirm that it has been activated on that line. Go online to VZW and do a 'switch device', adding the iPhone to the UDP line and then also adding a dumb phone back to the dumb line. The only reason you may need to call a VZW rep is if the dumb line 'requires' you to add a $10 data plan, in which case you just call them and have them remove the plan.

Good luck...
SipperyPete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1357
Namji
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SipperyPete View Post
You really don't have to call anyone...you can do it all online. The phone will come ready to be activated on the line that it was purchased on...just turn it on. Make a call or two to confirm that it has been activated on that line. Go online to VZW and do a 'switch device', adding the iPhone to the UDP line and then also adding a dumb phone back to the dumb line. The only reason you may need to call a VZW rep is if the dumb line 'requires' you to add a $10 data plan, in which case you just call them and have them remove the plan.

Good luck...
I understand, but I think I would feel better knowing that I won't make a error somehow and lose my unlimited data I would feel better calling VZW.
__________________
2013 iPhone 5S Space Gray on VZW - 64GB
2010 15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB Memory, 320GB hard drive.
2012 Apple TV. 2012 iPad Mini Silver 32GB. 2010 iPhone 4 Black on VZW - 32GB
Namji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1358
xlost6
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namji View Post
I understand, but I think I would feel better knowing that I won't make a error somehow and lose my unlimited data I would feel better calling VZW.
They can still screw up your account if you call a rep also. It's better to do it online but if you feel comfortable having a rep do it that's understandable.
xlost6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 01:54 PM   #1359
SipperyPete
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namji View Post
I understand, but I think I would feel better knowing that I won't make a error somehow and lose my unlimited data I would feel better calling VZW.
Be careful with those reps...I believe that they are mandated to get people off of UDP at all costs. With the online tool, you would get a warning if you're about to lose something, where the reps might possibly 'forget' to mention a detail or two during the transaction....
SipperyPete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 05:21 PM   #1360
Namji
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Hmmm I am coming from a iPhone 4, hence no SIM card. My iPhone 5S that I will be doing a switch comes with a SIM card for the intended number / line?? Do I need to go to a VZW store and get another SIM card for my own line? How does that work anyone?
__________________
2013 iPhone 5S Space Gray on VZW - 64GB
2010 15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB Memory, 320GB hard drive.
2012 Apple TV. 2012 iPad Mini Silver 32GB. 2010 iPhone 4 Black on VZW - 32GB
Namji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 01:08 AM   #1361
yawnyj
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namji View Post
Hmmm I am coming from a iPhone 4, hence no SIM card. My iPhone 5S that I will be doing a switch comes with a SIM card for the intended number / line?? Do I need to go to a VZW store and get another SIM card for my own line? How does that work anyone?
When I went from the iPhone 4 to 5 last year I picked up another SIM card at the Apple store to activate it on my line the second time when I switched it over . I don't know if this was necessary but some people on the forum were saying that you would have to wait 24 hours if you activated it on the same sim it came with so I picked up another one so that I would not have to wait .
yawnyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 08:01 PM   #1362
limsilas
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Hi all, so I just want to confirm what has already been stated quite clearly, but has later been questioned:

There is no need to get a new SIM card?

By which I mean, once you obtain your shiny new iPhone 5S, activate it on the dumb phone line, reactivate the dumb phone on the dumb phone line, and then activate the 5S on the unlimited data plan line - there is no issue with the 5S SIM card being the same as when the 5S was activated on the dumb phone line?

Sorry, I know it's been spelled out, but I just want to double-check.
limsilas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 02:45 PM   #1363
Namji
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Could someone that knows for sure answer our SIM card question?? Thanks!
__________________
2013 iPhone 5S Space Gray on VZW - 64GB
2010 15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB Memory, 320GB hard drive.
2012 Apple TV. 2012 iPad Mini Silver 32GB. 2010 iPhone 4 Black on VZW - 32GB
Namji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 04:49 PM   #1364
boomhower
macrumors 65816
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by limsilas View Post
Hi all, so I just want to confirm what has already been stated quite clearly, but has later been questioned:

There is no need to get a new SIM card?

By which I mean, once you obtain your shiny new iPhone 5S, activate it on the dumb phone line, reactivate the dumb phone on the dumb phone line, and then activate the 5S on the unlimited data plan line - there is no issue with the 5S SIM card being the same as when the 5S was activated on the dumb phone line?

Sorry, I know it's been spelled out, but I just want to double-check.
I did this when I got the 5 and had to get a second SIM. Waited the 24hrs and it still didn't work so had to get another card.
__________________
2011 Macbook Pro 15 iPad Mini iPhone 5 Airport Extreme Gen 5
boomhower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 08:16 PM   #1365
Namji
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Well I just activated my iPhone. I had to get a new SIM card. I went to the VZW store explained what I wanted to do and the rep did it perfectly for me. He activated the new iPhone to my wife's fathers line then deactivated it then got a new SIM card insert it and activate it on my line. All went smoothly.

All done within 20 min.
__________________
2013 iPhone 5S Space Gray on VZW - 64GB
2010 15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB Memory, 320GB hard drive.
2012 Apple TV. 2012 iPad Mini Silver 32GB. 2010 iPhone 4 Black on VZW - 32GB
Namji is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2013, 06:40 AM   #1366
Namji
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I just noticed this statement in my vzw agreement receipt after I went to the store and got my phone activated on my line.

Anyone know if this is just a standard agreement or if it is specific to mine?

"The iPhone is configured to work only with the wireless service of verizon wireless, and may not work on another carrier's network, even after completion of your contract term."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	441855  
Namji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:30 PM   #1367
yawnyj
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namji View Post
I just noticed this statement in my vzw agreement receipt after I went to the store and got my phone activated on my line.

Anyone know if this is just a standard agreement or if it is specific to mine?

"The iPhone is configured to work only with the wireless service of verizon wireless, and may not work on another carrier's network, even after completion of your contract term."
I believe this is true in the U S , but it should be unlocked enabling you to use a different sim in another country. Notice that it says " Verizon SIM card". I'm pretty sure I read where some people had traveled internationally and used SIM cards from other carriers. I am not sure about the part concerning the contract in the US. The Verizon iPhone (5 and above is an international phone and
I used mine in foreign countries this last year, but was on an international plan because I was traveling to several countries.
yawnyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 09:22 AM   #1368
Namji
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I guess I assumed incorrectly because I thought regardless the iPhone from VZW purchased subsidized or full retail price would yield an unlocked phone due to the FCC requirements.

I purchased my iPhone 5S subsidized pricing from my wife's dumb phone line and activated it on that line.. then immediately canceled and activated it on my line ( separate account ) with a new SIM Card.
__________________
2013 iPhone 5S Space Gray on VZW - 64GB
2010 15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB Memory, 320GB hard drive.
2012 Apple TV. 2012 iPad Mini Silver 32GB. 2010 iPhone 4 Black on VZW - 32GB
Namji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 09:47 AM   #1369
keitarou
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namji View Post
I guess I assumed incorrectly because I thought regardless the iPhone from VZW purchased subsidized or full retail price would yield an unlocked phone due to the FCC requirements.

I purchased my iPhone 5S subsidized pricing from my wife's dumb phone line and activated it on that line.. then immediately canceled and activated it on my line ( separate account ) with a new SIM Card.
Regardless of getting subsidized or full price, Verizon iPhone 5S is unlocked. Just go put in another sim card from AT&T or T-Mobile and you will see that it is unlocked. Don't worry about what it says on the contract.
keitarou is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC