Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii
Yes that will work just fine as well. Also keep in mind, if your unlimited line is upgrade eligible, you can also transfer the upgrade to line 2 or line 3 to get a device at 2yr pricing. As long as the phone is activated on line 2 or 3 first, you will not lose unlimited data.

Hmm...I've been reading on the past couple pages back that if you use the upgrade on the line that has the unlimited data. You'll lose the UDP on that line even if the upgrade is going towards another line. Seems risky unless someone can confirm that this is feasible???

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Hmm...I've been reading on the past couple pages back that if you use the upgrade on the line that has the unlimited data. You'll lose the UDP on that line even if the upgrade is going towards another line. Seems risky unless someone can confirm that this is feasible???

Many people on here are misinformed. It's not the contract renewal that triggers a loss of unlimited, it's the activating of a subsidized device (that has never been previously activated) on a line that has unlimited data. When you transfer the upgrade from your unlimited line to another line, you're extending the contract of your unlimited line. But, because you're activating it on the line you transferred the upgrade to, you do NOT lose unlimited on the line the upgrade belongs to.

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii
Many people on here are misinformed. It's not the contract renewal that triggers a loss of unlimited, it's the activating of a subsidized device (that has never been previously activated) on a line that has unlimited data. When you transfer the upgrade from your unlimited line to another line, you're extending the contract of your unlimited line. But, because you're activating it on the line you transferred the upgrade to, you do NOT lose unlimited on the line the upgrade belongs to.

Hmm you might have a point there? But why would they extend the line with an unlimited data plan? i thought that when you renew your contract. you agree to newer plans or asked and forced to new plans to get the subsidy price?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Hmm you might have a point there? But why would they extend the line with an unlimited data plan? i thought that when you renew your contract. you agree to newer plans or asked and forced to new plans to get the subsidy price?

Don't ask why. Just do the loophole. Verizon's computer system (at this time) are not able to recognize the loophole switch.

Verizon wil eventually stop it.

Verizon stopped the amazing unlimited saga loophole back in march 2012. Verizon had ended unlimited data in June 2011 for new users. I signed up for verizon in December 2011 and was able to use the loophole to get unlimited data (without paying for someone's account). I simply added unlimited hotspot via customer service. But since customer service couldn't add unkikited hotspot without unlimited data. They added unlimited data to make the hotspot work! Than I deleted the hotspot and kept the unlimited data. Verizon closed that loophole in march 2012.

yawnyj

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Gig Harbor , Wa
Don't ask why. Just do the loophole. Verizon's computer system (at this time) are not able to recognize the loophole switch.

Verizon wil eventually stop it.

Verizon stopped the amazing unlimited saga loophole back in march 2012. Verizon had ended unlimited data in June 2011 for new users. I signed up for verizon in December 2011 and was able to use the loophole to get unlimited data (without paying for someone's account). I simply added unlimited hotspot via customer service. But since customer service couldn't add unkikited hotspot without unlimited data. They added unlimited data to make the hotspot work! Than I deleted the hotspot and kept the unlimited data. Verizon closed that loophole in march 2012.
I used this loophole in September of 2012 to get my iPhone 5 by using an upgrade on my son's line and then transferring the phone to my line . It still worked then . We are on a family plan .

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010

This is what was explained to me by a VZW rep as well.

1. Call VZW repand activate the subsidized iPhone on the line I got the phone from.
2. then immediately deactivate it by calling VZW rep. back again.
3. activate the original phone back onto the line with its original plan.
4. activate the subsidized iPhone to the unlimited line with no problems with losing unlimited plan.

SipperyPete

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2011
This is what was explained to me by a VZW rep as well.

1. Call VZW repand activate the subsidized iPhone on the line I got the phone from.
2. then immediately deactivate it by calling VZW rep. back again.
3. activate the original phone back onto the line with its original plan.
4. activate the subsidized iPhone to the unlimited line with no problems with losing unlimited plan.

You really don't have to call anyone...you can do it all online. The phone will come ready to be activated on the line that it was purchased on...just turn it on. Make a call or two to confirm that it has been activated on that line. Go online to VZW and do a 'switch device', adding the iPhone to the UDP line and then also adding a dumb phone back to the dumb line. The only reason you may need to call a VZW rep is if the dumb line 'requires' you to add a $10 data plan, in which case you just call them and have them remove the plan.

Good luck...

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
You really don't have to call anyone...you can do it all online. The phone will come ready to be activated on the line that it was purchased on...just turn it on. Make a call or two to confirm that it has been activated on that line. Go online to VZW and do a 'switch device', adding the iPhone to the UDP line and then also adding a dumb phone back to the dumb line. The only reason you may need to call a VZW rep is if the dumb line 'requires' you to add a $10 data plan, in which case you just call them and have them remove the plan.

Good luck...

I understand, but I think I would feel better knowing that I won't make a error somehow and lose my unlimited data :) I would feel better calling VZW.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I understand, but I think I would feel better knowing that I won't make a error somehow and lose my unlimited data :) I would feel better calling VZW.

They can still screw up your account if you call a rep also. It's better to do it online but if you feel comfortable having a rep do it that's understandable.

SipperyPete

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2011

Be careful with those reps...I believe that they are mandated to get people off of UDP at all costs. With the online tool, you would get a warning if you're about to lose something, where the reps might possibly 'forget' to mention a detail or two during the transaction....

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Hmmm I am coming from a iPhone 4, hence no SIM card. My iPhone 5S that I will be doing a switch comes with a SIM card for the intended number / line?? Do I need to go to a VZW store and get another SIM card for my own line? How does that work anyone?

yawnyj

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Gig Harbor , Wa
Hmmm I am coming from a iPhone 4, hence no SIM card. My iPhone 5S that I will be doing a switch comes with a SIM card for the intended number / line?? Do I need to go to a VZW store and get another SIM card for my own line? How does that work anyone?

When I went from the iPhone 4 to 5 last year I picked up another SIM card at the Apple store to activate it on my line the second time when I switched it over . I don't know if this was necessary but some people on the forum were saying that you would have to wait 24 hours if you activated it on the same sim it came with so I picked up another one so that I would not have to wait .

limsilas

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2007
Hi all, so I just want to confirm what has already been stated quite clearly, but has later been questioned:

There is no need to get a new SIM card?

By which I mean, once you obtain your shiny new iPhone 5S, activate it on the dumb phone line, reactivate the dumb phone on the dumb phone line, and then activate the 5S on the unlimited data plan line - there is no issue with the 5S SIM card being the same as when the 5S was activated on the dumb phone line?

Sorry, I know it's been spelled out, but I just want to double-check.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Hi all, so I just want to confirm what has already been stated quite clearly, but has later been questioned:

There is no need to get a new SIM card?

By which I mean, once you obtain your shiny new iPhone 5S, activate it on the dumb phone line, reactivate the dumb phone on the dumb phone line, and then activate the 5S on the unlimited data plan line - there is no issue with the 5S SIM card being the same as when the 5S was activated on the dumb phone line?

Sorry, I know it's been spelled out, but I just want to double-check.

I did this when I got the 5 and had to get a second SIM. Waited the 24hrs and it still didn't work so had to get another card.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Well I just activated my iPhone. I had to get a new SIM card. I went to the VZW store explained what I wanted to do and the rep did it perfectly for me. He activated the new iPhone to my wife's fathers line then deactivated it then got a new SIM card insert it and activate it on my line. All went smoothly.

All done within 20 min.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
I just noticed this statement in my vzw agreement receipt after I went to the store and got my phone activated on my line.

Anyone know if this is just a standard agreement or if it is specific to mine?

"The iPhone is configured to work only with the wireless service of verizon wireless, and may not work on another carrier's network, even after completion of your contract term."

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 119

yawnyj

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Gig Harbor , Wa
I just noticed this statement in my vzw agreement receipt after I went to the store and got my phone activated on my line.

Anyone know if this is just a standard agreement or if it is specific to mine?

"The iPhone is configured to work only with the wireless service of verizon wireless, and may not work on another carrier's network, even after completion of your contract term."

I believe this is true in the U S , but it should be unlocked enabling you to use a different sim in another country. Notice that it says " Verizon SIM card". I'm pretty sure I read where some people had traveled internationally and used SIM cards from other carriers. I am not sure about the part concerning the contract in the US. The Verizon iPhone (5 and above is an international phone and
I used mine in foreign countries this last year, but was on an international plan because I was traveling to several countries.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
I guess I assumed incorrectly because I thought regardless the iPhone from VZW purchased subsidized or full retail price would yield an unlocked phone due to the FCC requirements.

I purchased my iPhone 5S subsidized pricing from my wife's dumb phone line and activated it on that line.. then immediately canceled and activated it on my line ( separate account ) with a new SIM Card.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
I guess I assumed incorrectly because I thought regardless the iPhone from VZW purchased subsidized or full retail price would yield an unlocked phone due to the FCC requirements.

I purchased my iPhone 5S subsidized pricing from my wife's dumb phone line and activated it on that line.. then immediately canceled and activated it on my line ( separate account ) with a new SIM Card.

Regardless of getting subsidized or full price, Verizon iPhone 5S is unlocked. Just go put in another sim card from AT&T or T-Mobile and you will see that it is unlocked. Don't worry about what it says on the contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.