Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Eventually the front page of MacRumors will probably have a news story with all of the reviews neatly summarized. At that point this thread should be closed.

Until that time though, the first few iMac 2012 reviews have been posted.

The Verge:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/30/3709120/apple-imac-mac-mini-review
9/10 score and surprisingly WORSE speakers than previous iMac

CNET:
http://reviews.cnet.com/imac/
The upgraded 680MX graphics tested could handle games at highest/ultra settings!

Last edited:

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Eventually the front page of MacRumors will probably have a news story with all of the reviews neatly summarized. At that point this thread should be closed.

Until that time though, the first few iMac 2012 reviews have been posted.

The Verge:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/30/3709120/apple-imac-mac-mini-review
9/10 score and surprisingly WORSE speakers than previous iMac

CNET:
http://reviews.cnet.com/imac/
The upgraded 680MX graphics tested could handle games at highest/ultra settings!

I am probably going to sound like a grumpy old fart, but I found both of those reviews incredible untrustworthy and uninformative.

I have that feeling every time I visit the Verge. Something about their articles seems pretentious and annoying. I can't put my fingers on it.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
They both complain about the speakers. Anyone who is really interested in bass response already has a speaker system with a sub. As for the optical drive, if I find that I really need one, I can pick one up for $30.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
I am probably going to sound like a grumpy old fart, but I found both of those reviews incredible untrustworthy and uninformative.

Join the club. After reading the reviews I found them both really shallow. Honestly most reviews posted on the day of release are usually rush jobs with very little content.

We'll have to wait for a few weeks until Anandtech gets their massively comprehensive review out - they usually do the best ones. But until then, this is all we got.

They both complain about the speakers. Anyone who is really interested in bass response already has a speaker system with a sub.

It kind of defeats the purpose of an iMac all-in-one system if we have to pair it with some external speakers. I found it really surprising that the speakers are worse even though it looks like they have much more space allocated to the speakers and the speakers are physically bigger this year than last year. I wonder what went wrong?

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
I actually found no useful information in both of these "reviews" - only some tests that were easily scalable since all the specs were known for more than a month now. No screen testing, no really detailed photos..

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
They both complain about the speakers. Anyone who is really interested in bass response already has a speaker system with a sub.

And anyone who is really interested in sound quality won't bother at all with the iMac speakers and get a decent headphone amp/dac and a pair of high quality headphones.

TrboMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
NC/USA
Well I did learn one thing. I didn't know the RAM was accessible by pressing a button. I was assuming there'd be three screws like before. Pretty cool there. No surprises elsewhere except maybe the speaker portion.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
For the 27" are there four slots or 2 slots like in the laptops? In the Apple store, if you want 32GB it shows as 4 x 8GB so is it safe to assume that its 4 slots?

Fietsbel

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2012
For the 27" are there four slots or 2 slots like in the laptops? In the Apple store, if you want 32GB it shows as 4 x 8GB so is it safe to assume that its 4 slots?

It's 2 slots. The reason why it says 4x 8GB is because it is double sided memory.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Newegg had a deal a couple weeks ago for 2x8GB for $50 and I have a $10 off so I got 2 kits (4x8GB) for $89.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.