Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Back then a computer was something scary. Remember that even in early 90's there was not internet, a computer was something that you could barely use it to print your homework. There was not actual use for a computer at home even.

Go back to early 80's. There was no market, no need, no training.

People used to play in the street, look for information in the yellow pages, listen to the radio and such. Not having an enclosure for it... a miracle the thing was able to do something and another miracle someone had the knowledge to operate it.

There were BBS’

By 1992/93 we had the internet at home

cmanderson

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
is it really worth 500 grand? isn't it better to donate that money?

Um, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. As to whether or not it is "better" to donate that money, first it must sell, then the sellers should decide for themselves what to do with the proceeds. It shouldn't be a community decision.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
There were BBS’

By 1992/93 we had the internet at home

I remember BBS too! Crazy how far things have come so quickly. We also got Internet at home around 1993 (14.4k dial up - amazing). It's funny, it was so uncommon, I used it for homework all the time, and the teachers were so clueless. I remember I used altavista's babel fish to translate my Spanish homework for me, and the teacher was blown away. She had no clue. It was a great time to be growing up, lol! Sure, kids today have access to the Internet and stuff from birth, but it's so prevalent that its a blessing and a curse.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I remember the the early 90's and Apples eWorld, late nights on the computer so not to tie up the phone line with your 14.4k modem and getting online cost a fortune which most paid for by the hour!

Now look at your iPhone or iPad and see how far we have come.

We still have Mac Plus but it no longer works, wish we'd kept all the original packaging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.