Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I'm interested in something that either integrates well with iThoughtsHD on the iPad, or comes with its own iPad version.

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
My favorite mind mapping application is NovaMind. While I have not really done much in terms of working between iTHoughts HD and NovaMind, initial tests indicate they work together well. iThoughts does have a NovaMind export.

Here are iThoughts HD's pages addressing compatibility:

http://www.ithoughts.co.uk/iThoughtsHD/Compatibility.html

http://www.ithoughts.co.uk/iThoughtsHD/CompatibilityDetails.html

Their notes on NovaMind:

• When importing, iThoughts will recognise ‘template’ colours and shapes (including the Rainbow scheme.) The template information is not re-exported.
  • When exporting, iThoughts icons are embedded in the map - meaning that ALL icons are exported correctly from iThoughts. When importing, iThoughts can only map a subset of the Novamind icons.

MindManager seems slightly more compatible, but I do not the app nearly as much as NovaMind (although it does have a few features that NovaMind does not such as the ability to export an interactive PDF).

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
My favorite mind mapping application is NovaMind. While I have not really done much in terms of working between iTHoughts HD and NovaMind, initial tests indicate they work together well. iThoughts does have a NovaMind export.

Here are iThoughts HD's pages addressing compatibility:

http://www.ithoughts.co.uk/iThoughtsHD/Compatibility.html

http://www.ithoughts.co.uk/iThoughtsHD/CompatibilityDetails.html

Their notes on NovaMind:

• When importing, iThoughts will recognise ‘template’ colours and shapes (including the Rainbow scheme.) The template information is not re-exported.
  • When exporting, iThoughts icons are embedded in the map - meaning that ALL icons are exported correctly from iThoughts. When importing, iThoughts can only map a subset of the Novamind icons.

MindManager seems slightly more compatible, but I do not the app nearly as much as NovaMind (although it does have a few features that NovaMind does not such as the ability to export an interactive PDF).

Thanks, Steve, I actually just downloaded their trial version to have a look. Which version of NovaMind are you using? I'm thinking their 'smallest' version would be sufficient for my purposes. I've tried importing a few maps from my iPad, and that seems to work well so far.

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
Thanks, Steve, I actually just downloaded their trial version to have a look. Which version of NovaMind are you using? I'm thinking their 'smallest' version would be sufficient for my purposes. I've tried importing a few maps from my iPad, and that seems to work well so far.

I bought Platinum with an eye on the Presenter function. Sadly the feature came out after the academic year began, so I haven't had time to learn it. I also plan to create themes that are coordinated my favorite themes in Keynote. A theme editor is a yet to be released and I'm not sure what versions will include that.

My only gripe about NovaMind has been the slow development of promised features for which I had prepaid, but things are much better now.

Last edited:

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I bought Platinum with an eye on the Presenter function. Sadly the feature came out after the academic year began, so I haven't had time to learn it. I also plan to create themes that are coordinated my favorite themes in Keynote. A theme editor is a yet to be released and I'm not sure what versions will include that.

My only gripe about NovaMind has been the slow development of promised features for which I had prepaid, but things are much better now.

So, I've decided to purchase the basic version. I think that should last me for a while, and it was on offer right now. Thanks for the input!

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
So, I've decided to purchase the basic version. I think that should last me for a while, and it was on offer right now. Thanks for the input!

They will work with you on an upgrade if you want it later. Don't forget to use the educational discount if you do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.