Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solomanii

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2012
Correct. Boot Camp will partition space on the magnetic disk only, as "Fusion" isn't a controller (hardware) level caching tech. Windows will only use/see the hard drive and not the SSD.

Brilliant, thanks. Looks like I'll be using MAC o/s more for a while.

Hairlesswookiee

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Pensacola
Just to clarify that I'm not misreading anything, but Bootcamp is supported on the 1TB Fusion drives?? I was planning on living with an external TB drive anyways, but Bootcamp support is necessary for me.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Just to clarify that I'm not misreading anything, but Bootcamp is supported on the 1TB Fusion drives?? I was planning on living with an external TB drive anyways, but Bootcamp support is necessary for me.

Yes, it is supported on the 1TB fusion drive

mainemacuser

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2007
Maine
Yes, it is supported on the 1TB fusion drive

I read elsewhere that Bootcamp will run on a Fusion drive, but it will only load on the magnetic portion and not the solid state part. So it seems that Bootcamp gets no performance boost from the Fusion drive.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I read elsewhere that Bootcamp will run on a Fusion drive, but it will only load on the magnetic portion and not the solid state part. So it seems that Bootcamp gets no performance boost from the Fusion drive.

This is correct. Fusion is implemented in a low-level OS X driver which presents the collection of drives as one single device to the OS. Obviously, windows lacks such a driver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.