Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spgiva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
So I am getting a brand new iMac tomorrow (upgrading from my late 2008 MacBook Pro, very excited!) Couple of questions on upgrading.

1) Time machine: I have a drive that I have been using as my time machine back up drive. I would like to keep using it for the back up drive for the new machine but I do not want to loose all the old back ups. Is that possible?

2) iTunes: How do I transfer my playlists (not just the music and video files but the actual playlists) to the new computer.

thanks all
-SPG

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
So I am getting a brand new iMac tomorrow (upgrading from my late 2008 MacBook Pro, very excited!) Couple of questions on upgrading.

1) Time machine: I have a drive that I have been using as my time machine back up drive. I would like to keep using it for the back up drive for the new machine but I do not want to loose all the old back ups. Is that possible?

2) iTunes: How do I transfer my playlists (not just the music and video files but the actual playlists) to the new computer.

thanks all
-SPG

I went from windows to mac and just simply drag and dropped my "iTunes" folder to the Mac and that was all. Everything was preserved including ratings/playlists/even last played and play count. I did have a bunch of exclamations but after locating a couple songs to my new directory iTunes automatically found them all.

I imagine it'd be the same on a Mac prob even easier.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
okay...

Restore from Time Machine.

Then continue to use that drive as your backup.

I wiped and started over with my time machine drive, but there's no reason you have to do that, just be sure to restore from THAT drive.

spgiva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Restore from Time Machine.

Then continue to use that drive as your backup.

I wiped and started over with my time machine drive, but there's no reason you have to do that, just be sure to restore from THAT drive.

The problem is I do not want to restore from the drive, the new computer is running a newer version of iOS, and some of the programs on the old MacBook Pro will not run on the new iMac. In general restoring new computers from older computers (different older models) does not usually go very well.

thks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The problem is I do not want to restore from the drive, the new computer is running a newer version of iOS, and some of the programs on the old MacBook Pro will not run on the new iMac. In general restoring new computers from older computers (different older models) does not usually go very well.

thks

After you start the new Mac and select language and Time Zone, just start Migration Assistant and point it to the Time Machine backup. That will keep the new iMac OS and import all your data and settings including music. It works quite well.

spgiva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
After you start the new Mac and select language and Time Zone, just start Migration Assistant and point it to the Time Machine backup. That will keep the new iMac OS and import all your data and settings including music. It works quite well.

Thanks, this worked very well. In older iterations this did not work all that well when switching between different types of Mac and different OS versions. Glad the bugs are all worked out

Thanks to everyone for their advice
-spg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.