Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Tablets failed. The iPad was just a "giant iPhone without the phone".

How did that turn out once Apple got ahold of it?

Marketing, innovation, clever presentation (marketing, but an Apple specialty)...

VOILA: Everyone will want it.

Check the threads before the launch of the iPad. NO ONE knows what Apple is going to do, but one things for certain: once they do, millions upon millions will HAVE to have it.

You will want one too. Even if you can't see the "need" now.

That's the genius of the big A.

:apple:

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
NO ONE knows what Apple is going to do, but one things for certain: once they do, millions upon millions will HAVE to have it.

You will want one too. Even if you can't see the "need" now.

That's the genius of the big A.

Not always. Apple badly misjudged the market for products such as Pippin and Macintosh TV.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Which means the phone stores a copy of your fingerprint so it can make the comparison, right? If so, then someone could steal the phone and get that information. Doing that in a Faraday cage blocks the ability to do a remote lock and wipe.

The bottom line is that hackers will look for opportunities to exploit, and they have a history of finding ones that make vendors facepalm and say, "Why didn't we think of that?"

if a crook has already broken the back window, he doesn't need the front door key. Which is to say, if the hackers can break into the device and access the data without using the biometrics, the biometric data is no longer needed. In that regard, today's complex pass codes would be equally pointless.

The real concern is whether there's a back window that can be broken, not the quality of the front door lock. If such a back window exists in iOS, I think we'd know about it by now, on the dawn of iOS 7, and I seriously doubt agencies like the Defense Department would be certifying iOS devices for use.

And if the point of the break-in was to obtain the biometric data? I can't imagine many of us have fingerprints that will be more valuable than the other stuff we keep on our iPhones. In any kind of rational system, actual biometric data is not going to be stored or used in the banking system, specifically because fingerprints are pretty easy to steal (the old detective-grabs-the-water-glass scenario), and can be changed just a maximum of 10 times (different finger). The biometrics are isolated within the device, to validate that the device is in the right hands. That will be in addition to, not in replacement of, the account numbers, PINs, and passwords we currently need to use banking apps. If a device becomes untrustworthy (reported stolen), the bank simply stops accepting transactions from that device. Pretty much the same way it works today with lost/stolen credit cards.

Finally, using a Faraday cage to bypass the remote wipe capabilities in iOS 6? That'll soon be trumped by the anti-theft capabilities of iOS 7, which, apparently, have made those attorneys general very quiet.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yeah cause apple maps was perfect :rolleyes:

Yeah, Apple Maps was rubbish! It's just a shame that I said: "it's that if Apple put something into their hardware they're not going to do it half-assed."

I've done the liberty of putting the important part of that text in bold. I'll also be happy to direct you to the following link: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000039.htm

Not only to mention that I also said the following: "Yes, there are exceptions to the rule -- Apple Maps, for instance …"

Thanks for your input, Xplicit.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
if a crook has already broken the back window, he doesn't need the front door key. Which is to say, if the hackers can break into the device and access the data without using the biometrics, the biometric data is no longer needed.

No, I mean that they want the biometric information on the device so they can access other biometric-protected systems, such as bank accounts. They wouldn't use the biometric info to access the device. They'd find another way.

Finally, using a Faraday cage to bypass the remote wipe capabilities in iOS 6? That'll soon be trumped by the anti-theft capabilities of iOS 7, which, apparently, have made those attorneys general very quiet.

There's little that any OS can do to defeat a Faraday cage. It blocks signals to and from the device, so it can't receive the kill pill. The most that the OS can do is have a feature that says if it can't communicate after a certain period of time, it should automatically wipe. But that period would have to be so long to avoid unnecessary wipes that it would provide ample time to hack.

chdwil

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Do you really type a passcode 25x/day? I only have to if I download a new app that requires login, which is maybe once a week or month. Everything is logged in automatically due to cookies. I understand that you may be different but 25x seems excessive.

Most people I know who use iPhones stick to their tried and true apps and maybe jump on the latest ones like Snapchat or Tinder once every few months. Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for the majority of users.

Well anyone with a corporate exchange account on their phone could easily enter their pass code 50+ times a day. Yes corporate emails require a login every time you use the phone.

Virginaustralia

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
Yeah, just like touch screens failed on laptops.

I don't use a pass code at all. Hate them. This could be a reasonable compromise if it unlocks the phone quickly.

yeah i hate touch screens on laptops too. They think its the next big thing but it was already invented and its called a TABLET. No way would i pay $300 more for a screen that has touch built it that id never use. Plus i dont get why we need stupid tiles in windows 8. I wish it was still legal to buy windows 7 :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.