Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nexgen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
I use afloat to keep most of the window always on top but it doesn't work for some apps like excel, textwrangler etc...

How can I make excel, textwrangler etc.. to stay on top even if I focus on some other apps?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The techie definition of "focus" is that the window of a particular application is on top. What do you mean by changing the focus but not the window that is on top??

MeatRocket

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
In the Sandbox
The techie definition of "focus" is that the window of a particular application is on top. What do you mean by changing the focus but not the window that is on top??

Check your definition - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_(computing)

Actually the proper definition in terms of applications and programming for focus is "the GUI component that is the target of user input". There are plenty of examples of windows being on top that are not in focus. The 1st off the top of my head is task manager in Windows. It's always on top, but other windows can be the focus of user input.

To answer the OP, there is an app for Mac called Afloat that seems to be what you're looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.