Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
No, the iPhone 5 takes a different looking picture than third party apps that were made for the iPhone 4S; in other words, the iPhone 4S had a maximum ISO of 800, so third party camera apps were made to take advantage of that. Now with the iPhone 5, the max is 3200 ISO, so third party apps simply need to be updated; Camera+ was updated today (not to be confused with Camera Plus Pro which is a completely different app/company.)

Developers have no control over what ISO is used... unfortunately it's not a simple matter of updating a camera app to support up to ISO 3200.

I've tried taking several photos in low light and I couldn't get Camera+ (3.5, which is the version released today) to take photos with ISO higher than 800.

I was going to say, "maybe they just didn't update the ISO part yet in today's update" until I saw this...

Developers have no control over what ISO is used... unfortunately it's not a simple matter of updating a camera app to support up to ISO 3200.

... which I didn't know. What's confusing me at the moment is, that my favorite camera app, 645 PRO (which allows really great control of your camera settings) states that ISO is hardware dependent and that the iPhone 5 is 800(?) So I don't know...

mtfbwy

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
No way to record video in the app

The reason I never fully switched to this app to replace the standard camera app was the inability to switch to video recording in the app and jumping back to the standard app always seemed like a kludge. I also find the proprietary lightbox to be a hassle.

Was this fixed finally?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Not to sound like a troll, but do folks really take a lot of pictures with the iPad? I have an iPad 2 and the camera on the back is lousy.

iPad 2 camera was terrible. The newer one may not be the best camera to hold but the fact that you can really look at your photo after you take it on a larger screen is a good tool to help a beginner take better photos in the future.

I suggest using one of those Line Art or Old Video camera apps on the iPad 2. It brings new life to the iPad 2 camera since it excels in that kind of photography.

supersteve

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Ontario Canada
I posed this question in another thread, but I feel like I might get an answer more quickly here . . .

With the recent update, I'm thinking of using camera+ as my primary camera app on iPhone 5 . . .can anyone who has made the switch previously comment on the benefits/drawbacks of one versus the other. Is there any loss of quality or functionality in taking photos directly from camera+?

I've used camera+ primarily as an editing tool, but it seems to launch faster than the stock app on the 5, so I'm considering it as my go-to camera.

It's a fantastic app. I guess the only thing the Apple camera app has over this is panorama mode.

The main reason I use Camera + is it has the ability to turn the flash on before your take the picture. So if it's too dark to see what you're taking a picture of, it becomes a flash light.

The editing is cool too

shly0718

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Singapore
Ask a stupid question

I'm really :confused: I won't use thd party app to tak pic , so only for post editing , but camera+ still looks fancy as a editing tool ,, but I aldy had Snapseed which is my first go to option. So I don't know if the function make big difference??. One buck is nothing , but I don't want buy a app then never touch again.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004

I was going to say, "maybe they just didn't update the ISO part yet in today's update" until I saw this...

Actually, it looks like I spoke too soon. Apple provides some properties developers can set to support the iPhone 5's "low light boost mode"... I just missed it because it's not fully documented yet:

http://blog.crushapps.com/2012/09/the-iphone-5s-low-light-boost-mode/

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Not to sound like a troll, but do folks really take a lot of pictures with the iPad? I have an iPad 2 and the camera on the back is lousy.

It sounds crazy, but at the end of school year play, I could not believe the # of iPads people had out taking photos (and video). It was crazy.

One lady was annoying as she stood up, holding the iPad up like John Cusack in 16 Candles with the ghetto blaster, completely blocking a key view on the play. lol

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
Yep...... I have taken photos with my new iPad, and the results are pretty good. Especially so for stylized shots, like Hipstamatic. The iPad may be a bit bulky, but having the large screen as a viewfinder is kinda nice.

The Camera+ app is a great deal for $0.99. There are a lot of editing options. Not a Photoshop replacement by any means, but as far as iOS photo editing apps go, it's quite useful.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GTR0R6/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_til?tag=la0b65-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B005GTR0R6&adid=0BJFWJXY63MDZH1F1A78&

Lenses such as this one are what you need for real photography!

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I have a question about the iCloud sync. Won't that consume your iCloud storage space? If you've got iCloud, then you've got PhotoStream. Why not just use PhotoStream, which does not consume your iCloud storage, to access photos on multiple devices, and use it to move them back and forth? I know I must be missing something.

pink thing

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012
I use this app on my iPhone. It's pretty good now that the lightbox saving issue seems to be working. Not too happy having to buy it again though just because this version is 'Camera+ For iPad' :rolleyes:

It seems iOS 6's Camera app takes different looking picture than third party apps... <snip>

No, the iPhone 5 takes a different looking picture than third party apps that were made for the iPhone 4S; in other words, the iPhone 4S had a maximum ISO of 800, so third party camera apps were made to take advantage of that. Now with the iPhone 5, the max is 3200 ISO, so third party apps simply need to be updated; Camera+ was updated today (not to be confused with Camera Plus Pro which is a completely different app/company.)

I was going to say, "maybe they just didn't update the ISO part yet in today's update"

Actually, it looks like I spoke too soon. Apple provides some properties developers can set to support the iPhone 5's "low light boost mode"... I just missed it because it's not fully documented yet:

http://blog.crushapps.com/2012/09/the-iphone-5s-low-light-boost-mode/

Looks like my original statement stands then; Camera+ was updated again TODAY (October 3, 2012) with the ability to use the 3200 ISO mode on the iPhone 5 when in a very low light situation...

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

I think you are incorrect. Look at the update for Camera+. It specifically says this update increases ISO on iPhone 5 and makes it work like the native camera app as far as sensitivity.

attachment.php

EDIT: OK I see I was late to the party and you already realized it was possible!

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.