Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
So as many of you know by now I recently received my third MBA replacement. Long story short, I had problems with the previous two. Perhaps the most compelling factor that swayed me to keep my current machine is the Samsung screen. For me personally, I feel that this screen displays colors most accurately, and, to me, that's important.

While I have a Toshiba HDD, I'm not sure if this is really a disadvantage. I've read articles from Engadget and elsewhere saying that the Toshiba may actually be superior in some respects and that it also uses different technologies, which may or may not me comparable to the competition.

And that leaves me to my last point of concern. On the front aluminum casing there is what appears to be almost like a tint speck of black dirt embedded in the casing. This also lies in a spot of slightly discolored aluminum. It's very hard to see and only visible in the right light and at the right angle. Still, I'm wondering what exactly it is and how exactly to remove it if I should so desire. I've come across articles online suggesting glass-polish for scratches but since I don't really know if this indeed a scratch, I'm hesitant to proceed with such methods. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Wow - I know this sounds bad, but it almost seems like you are on a hunt to find SOMETHING wrong with every machine you get.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
There is a Chinese saying and goes something like, "Picky - picky - picky and you end up with the ugliest ducking."

I tell you what, if you use any kind of polish, it may remove the "dirt" but at the same time, the "cleaned" area will look different than the rest of the case and that will bug u so much now you have to disassemble the whole thing and have to polish the whole thing in order to keep everything even.

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Dude, stop complaining about the "dirt" on your Mac, and do yourself a favour, send it back for another one. Surely, the fourth one will be to your preference.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Wow - I know this sounds bad, but it almost seems like you are on a hunt to find SOMETHING wrong with every machine you get.

I really don't and I wish these things didn't exist but Apple's recent and severe lack of quality control has made me more obsessive than I should reasonably be. When I got my original 2008 MBA I didn't even have to think twice about different screen types and product damage or any of that nonsense. But - fast forward 5 years later - when you get a screen that's noticeably yellow or a laptop that's chipped, you are forced to be that much more vigilant when receiving and looking over a replacement.

----------

I think you should just learn to be content with what you have or you will never be happy

Tbh, you guys are probably all right but it's still something that's just annoying, knowing that it's there.

----------

There is a Chinese saying and goes something like, "Picky - picky - picky and you end up with the ugliest ducking."

I tell you what, if you use any kind of polish, it may remove the "dirt" but at the same time, the "cleaned" area will look different than the rest of the case and that will bug u so much now you have to disassemble the whole thing and have to polish the whole thing in order to keep everything even.

Wise words

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Yes, but when it gets to the point that you are obsessing about a tiny black speck and a "discoloration" that can only barely be seen in the right light and at a certain angle, you have gone over the deep end. Seriously.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.