Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeoCool

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Hi forum users, looking for a bit of advice.
My Imac g4 15" retro dome is now displaying only in pink.
Like a pink overlay on screen, can see whats behind just pink.

Looking for some advice from the experienced here to find out what one thinks is the cause and possible solutions.

Cheers.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi forum users, looking for a bit of advice.
My Imac g4 15" retro dome is now displaying only in pink.
Like a pink overlay on screen, can see whats behind just pink.

Looking for some advice from the experienced here to find out what one thinks is the cause and possible solutions.

Cheers.

Reason is because it's old, it might be possible to change the CCFL tubes inside the display, this is the only way, actually a new display is another but that's too expensive.

CCFL's are similar to TL's, over time they change colour.

NeoCool

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
cheers. just thought it might be the screen, just wanted it to be something easy to get hold of and cheeper i guess, like cables, etc.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
cheers. just thought it might be the screen, just wanted it to be something easy to get hold of and cheeper i guess, like cables, etc.

If you are handy you can do it yourself, what you need is though is how long the CCFL's are and the colour, I found a site which sells them, have a look what you are looking for.
Backlight Lamp Apple

Edit: And on iFixit.com they have good guides on how to fix Mac's.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Seems likely 666sheep is right here, I had a pink screen on my old mac before but it wasn't instantly, got worse over time, if yours is from 1 minute to the other then the above poster is right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.