Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sara sammons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
I was mid way through building an image in photoshop cs2 when the power went out, is there any hiddy hole that my mac may have hidden an auto save/ recovery type file in the way a microsoft PC would have or is it really lost for ever?

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Does CS2 have a temp file folder?

Also, are you using 10.8 and it's Versions tool?

Finally, how old is the previous Time Machine backup of the file?

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I have one of these that I picked up for $25 from an office going-out-of-business sale. (Eventually, it needed a new battery, which was about $100.) Combined with one of these for my two monitors, I can power my Mac Pro, RAID tower and all peripherals for 45 minutes during a power failure before I reach the last bars on the batteries. I think they would go 50 minutes before running out. I experience enough power fluctuations and failures that it's well worth it. I can think of at least a dozen times I've kept on working while the house lights flickered or went dark.

Of course, regular saving and backup is key for critical work, but I think a UPS is required for a desktop system, unless you work at NORAD or someplace where constant, clean power is assured.

blackmoses

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
I was mid way through building an image in photoshop cs2 when the power went out, is there any hiddy hole that my mac may have hidden an auto save/ recovery type file in the way a microsoft PC would have or is it really lost for ever?

Unfortunately, probably not. I know Photoshop saves active Smart Layers into the TemporaryItems folder (hidden pretty deep in your Library), but not whole documents.

Hence the designers' mantra: save and save often. I think all of us have lost a pretty big project to a crash or power failure; I've lost several. Just relax, relate, release © and start over with the build again. It's usually quicker the second time.

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
I have to agree with Wonderspark, have had an APC UPS for 3 years now and will never run a mission critical application without one again.
A lot of folks only learn to back up after their first HDD failure, many others only find out what a UPS is after their first power cut... :(
Time Machine backs up automatically but the intervals are long between each snapshot. You can change this with a command line instruction: http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/02/change-the-time-machine-backup-schedule/

Sara sammons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks guys, I normally am quite good at saving regularly but it is Sod's law the one time I get engrossed and forget the house is plummeted into darkness. I will look into a battery backup though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.