Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Ok well i've been reading and ran across some users that were having problems with putting SSD drives in their Macbook and putting the unit to sleep. I was going to purchase the 120GB Mercury Electra 3G SSD 2.5" Serial-ATA 9.5mm 3Gb/s Solid State Drive from OWC and was wondering if this is still a problem that persists or was it just with Lion? I am running mountain lion currently and this is mainly a living room development machine, so its not a must to upgrade the HDD, i just figured since i have the money now i might as well get the most performance out of it. Any help on this is greatly appreciated :)

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Get a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830. You can get them for about $100 on Ebay brand new.

My buddy uses the 830 and has had zero problems. I have the M4 and no problems here either.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
I contacted OWC and their tech support said those problems were fixed a few years ago with a firmware update and it only affected OSX Lion and not Mountain Lion. I'll be getting my drive tomorrow so i'll report back here my findings. Fingers are crossed :)

jwm2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Ok well i performed the upgrade earlier this afternoon and its seems to work just fine. I used SuperDuper! to make a copy of my old hdd and then booted SSD with no issues. My macbook is much snappier now! With the 6gb of ram i added earlier this week its now running very smoothly.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Ok well my OWC SSD died. It worked for about 6 hours and then died. Its going back to them in the morning and i'll just order another from amazon. Couldn't be more disgusted with OWC at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.