Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
You're ****** kidding us, right?
Name anything Samsung has done that has ever been more than a modified 'me too'.
What Macintosh, iPod, iPhone or iPad have they every come up with?

Well, I guess you have a point with their brilliant roll-out presentations like Radio City of the Bollywood fiasco this week.

Their mobile lines are pretty darned different than Apple. Even if it was a "me too" at some point, they've certainly gone in a different direction. I would recommend trying them.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
Name anything Samsung has done that has ever been more than a modified 'me too'.

Well, I guess you have a point with their brilliant roll-out presentations like Radio City of the Bollywood fiasco this week.

Microsoft will be calling you shortly. They want you to be the star of their next Apple v. Samsung commercial. Seems you fit their targeted stereotype perfectly.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
He's going to TRIPLE down on security this time.
I'd say he already has because there's no hint of anything new coming out of Apple any time soon. Or maybe there just isn't anything new coming out of Apple any time soon... In which case, good job on keeping it all under wraps!

----------

I WANT STEVE BACK NO ONE WILL EVER REPLACE STEVE
Here ya go:

First-Photo-of-Ashton-Kutcher-as-Steve-Jobs.jpg

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Hopefully he will be a bit more specific about things to come in the second half of 2013. Ok, he won't... :D

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Scumbag Tim Cook not making Safari snappier or whatever it is that makes Apple 'doomed'.

...Am I trolling Apple forums right?

Well, at least you noticed how low MacRumors has sunk in its reputation. When you claim to be an Apple centric site but your membership is overwhelmingly anti-Apple it raises red flags as to what the real purpose of the site is. Real Apple centric web sites and their members took notice a long time ago.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
My Samsung DLP TV was pretty decent. Well, except for their design stupidity that prevented effective use of a universal remove. Oh, and their design stupidity that caused the light tunnel to collapse two weeks after the class-action settlement ran out. And the CSO who then told me to GFY. That alone ensures that I will never buy a Samsung product if I can help it.

Now, as for Tim Cook -- how is he quoted as saying stuff when every photo of him looks like an Aldebaran Shellmouth? Seriously, the guy never opens his mouth.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
It's pitiful to read some teenagers' opinions about Tim being boring and stuff. I think they are better served with Samsung's embarrassing but entertaining Bollywood commercials for their failed android handset. No substance whatsoever.
This just caught my eye. Can you explain what 'failed' handset you're talking about? By all accounts Samsung is doing pretty damn good in the handset market.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
Well, at least you noticed how low MacRumors has sunk in its reputation. When you claim to be an Apple centric site but your membership is overwhelmingly anti-Apple it raises red flags as to what the real purpose of the site is. Real Apple centric web sites and their members took notice a long time ago.

I am not old school MR, so I don't know what it was like in the good ol' days. True, there are some trolls, but they are on every site. What I see are some Apple fans who no longer just tow the line when it comes to Apple. Fair or not, Apple set a level of expectation that wasn't being met by other companies. That was then. More recently, those companies have started to equal, and in some cases, surpass Apple in certain areas.

Apple is still a company that moves the needle. Being that company, everything you do is overly scrutinized. Samsung is starting to get a taste of that now.

Back then, Apple existed in a virtual vacuum. There was nothing to really compete with what they had to offer. Today, there is an endless array of products that compete with Apple's offerings. The companies that make those products have had to 'step up their game' to compete. In varying degrees, they've been successful. I think the Apple fan is only expressing discontent because they feel Apple has rested on it laurels a bit. People have come to expect, unrealistically, Apple to create something extraordinary every year. When it doesn't happen they get disappointed.

I personally think Apple is great at some things, good at others, and horrible at a few. That doesn't make me, or anyone else for that matter, anti-Apple; just more critical.

With all that said, there are still trolls - both for and against Apple. Sometimes they make for entertaining banter.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
100 mins, great, I could listen to Tim Cook all day - love the accent. I just don't like the way he can't say iPhone or iPad without following it by "with its gorgeous retina display" or "with its beautiful big 9.7inch display" :p

Blueflame1138

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Of course, if All Things D was held after WWDC, then the conversation could be a lot more interesting.

When Apple used to attend Macworld then it was only (only!!) five months after the fact. Now there's a 11 month gap to talk about everything that happened last year.

NewtonsApple

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Tim Cook Best CEO Ever

He has the most charisma of any CEO. He's gay. He can crunch numbers. He's a visionary. He's pumping out product every quarter. Apple is on a roll, bit--es!:apple:

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Ah yes, another one of you people who seem to think a idea alone = product. No, sorry. A product is ALL about implementation. Ideas are worthless if not properly executed.

I'm getting tired of "Apple didnt invent this, apple didn't invent that." I think you need to reread the definition for innovation. It's sorely confused for invention.

Do you think Nikola Tesla was the first person to THINK of bringing electricity into everyone's homes? No, him and Edison (and many others) pursued it. Teslas innovation was in his IMPLEMENTATION, his ideas for achieving that vision and doing it safely for public use. Anyone could have thought of powering homes with electricity. Bringing it safely into the home was 99% of the battle.

Fine smart guy. I'll give in. Apple was the first to bring the GUI to market.

Point remains that they weren't the first to bring digital music players, smartphones (whether defined by touchscreen, internet, email, messaging, apps), or tablet PCs to market.

and here you go:

Innovation: Noun 1.The action or process of innovating.
2.A new method, idea, product, etc: "technological innovations".

Hmmmmm..... i see "idea" in there, don't see "successful marketing"

macman34

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
Actually, one day is the measure by which every new smartphone is compared when it comes to battery life. The samsung galaxy s4, the HTC one and the iPhone 5 all promise a full day battery life (for the average user). which phones are you talking about that last days on a single charge, the only one I can think of is the Droid Razr Maxx, and its nowhere near as popular as the smartphones mentioned above, Consumers vote with their wallets, if they all they wanted was more battery life, the Maxx should be the most popular phone.

The iphone 5 battery weights 1.4 ounces, lets say you want to get a 3 day battery life from a single charge, that would require a battery 3 times as big adding to 3.2 ounces, plus the components, the iphone 5 would have ended being fatter and heavier than the 4s.Technology right now is centered around making the devices thiner while keeping the same battery and functions as the model before.

What happened to Steve's motto that consumers don't know what they want, and we make devices that can do what they would have wanted had they had knew what they wanted? I there's anything Steve stood for that's exactly that.

I don't give a flying if *most* (by no means all, go check out the lists with the highest battery smartphones) smart phones are playing an absurd misguided ever thinning fashion game against each other costing battery life, with apple being at the forefront of this arch stupidity. I don't like my "smart" phone to last for a day and a half at best, when my "dumb" phone lasted for a week, and my kindle lasts for a month.

Because that makes it "dumber" than the other devices. And don't tell me yeah, by virtue of it being a smart phone and not dumb (because of course other than check emails and browse the web all of us are doing super smart things on our phones like using them as telescopes or computing dna mutations) or by virtue of ever increasing lcd screens it should have such pathetic battery life. No, it shouldn't.

Like I said, post a poll and take my word for it. Ask what people want a few mm and grams more and 4 day of battery life or an ever thinning device with a days life? See what happens.

macman34

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
Let me postulate something radically different for a change.

HOW ABOUT,

apple actually using that little pile of cash they have at hand ($150 billion) to actually DEVELOP new technologies, such as transreflective screens, biometers and biosensors, AI of all sorts, INSTEAD of sitting on their fat rich arse expecting to just put together components others spent boatloads of cash to develop and nearly go bankrupt for doing so?

OR....

they can come up with a watch and have Schiller and Cook pat themselves on the back on how innovative they have been.

macman34

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013

I guess by real apple centric sites you must mean sites like apple insider where you get relentlessly attacked by a few posters (and their sockpuppets) for as much as diverging a hair from current apple orthodoxy, and then as soon as apple change their tune in line with the criticism they were receiving, said posters claim that they a. knew it all along they'd do that, and b. that apple excelled once more.

I 'll take the democracy and equanimity of opinion that is macrumors any day over such lunatic totalitarian cyber hang outs.

P.S. Great going with the paranoia too, about what "the real purpose of the site". You got it bro, there's an ulterior motive here, and the real purpose of mr is to subvert and undermine apple, because of course mr isn't making their profit advertising apple related products, and the volunteers who moderate aren't all up to their ears in apple's ecosystem.

seyo

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2004
Where's the new Mac Pro, Timmy?

I find it pretty ridiculous that the tech media aren't holding his feet to fire regarding his broken promise to unveil a new Mac Pro in "early 2013."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.