Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Did you check if your USB card recognizes any USB devices (mouse, keyboard etc)? USB stick should be recognized, even formatted with FAT32.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Yes you can, i did on my powermac 9600 and i can confirm its at 2.0 speeds.

Did you do this in OS X? Mac OS 9 will not support USB 2.0.

----------

PS. I tried a small 500MB USB stick disk to test the storage size issue and still no luck

I don't see any obstacle to being able to read the drive, unless the USB card or PCI slot is defective. If you can't read two different devices on the USB card, I would be concerned it is defective.

Can you attach a keyboard or mouse to the thing, and get that to register on your Mac?

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Run Software Update. There's one called "Disc Burning" or "Authoring Support" or something along those lines that I needed to install before my G3 could see my external DVD drive (just to read!). You may be having the same issue.

Edit: I decided to stop being lazy and actually look. It's Authoring Support 1.1.9.

Thanks

Thanks

Did you check if your USB card recognizes any USB devices (mouse, keyboard etc)? USB stick should be recognized, even formatted with FAT32.

Did you do this in OS X? Mac OS 9 will not support USB 2.0.

----------

I don't see any obstacle to being able to read the drive, unless the USB card or PCI slot is defective. If you can't read two different devices on the USB card, I would be concerned it is defective.

Can you attach a keyboard or mouse to the thing, and get that to register on your Mac?

ok the System Profiler says:

(under Devices and Volumes)

"Searching for available devices and volumes.. Found 1" (which I assume to be the main internal HD)

At the top of page it says:

USB 0

------------> External HDD
> Product ID: 1794 ($702)
> Vendor: 4184 (Western Digital) ($1058)
> Driver version: 1.5.8
> Driver name: USBCompositeDevice 1.5.8
> Power(mA): 500 ($1f4)
> Release number: 1.0.4
> Serial number: 57584....etc...

Under PCI it says:

PCI

------------> USB Card
Slot C1
> Card type: USB
> Card name: pci1045,c861
> Card model: -1
> Card ROM: not available
> Card revision: 16
> Card vendorID: 1045

So it seems like the Mac is recognising the WD external USB drive when I plug it in. It just doesn't mount on the desktop!

Also when I stick the stick drive in, the Apple system profiler also recognises its there under "USB0" as.."Flash Disk"

So, not sure why none of the devices are mounting. The system does only say "1 device available" being the internal HD. So maybe I'm missing the right driver?

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Perhaps you should reformat the drive on Mac OS X (10.4 or higher) with Disk Utility to make sure the the Drive partition map scheme is not GUID (Intel-Mac) or MBR (Windows) but the old Apple format (Apple Partition Map).

You can see at the bottom the current Partition Map Scheme. Press 'Options' here to change the PMS:
DU%201c%20Disk%20Utility%20format.png

These are your options (AAPL is what you want):
XdMtx.png

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
So the card appears to be working, the drive just isn't mounting. It must be pre-formatted as NTFS (??), and the Mac OS won't recognize that.

I see two ways of going about it here...the Mac OS 9 way, and the Mac OS X way.

ResPublica, in his above post, covered it the OS X way, so, Sparkie, if you attach the drive to your iMac and format it, then you should be able to attach it to the Beige G3 and have it recognized.

Drive SetUp may or may not support the drive as it is. You should open up Drive Setup, have it scan your busses, and see if it shows up as a supported drive. If it does, then partition and format away. If not...then try it the OS X way.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Perhaps you should reformat the drive on Mac OS X (10.4 or higher) with Disk Utility to make sure the the Drive partition map scheme is not GUID (Intel-Mac) or MBR (Windows) but the old Apple format (Apple Partition Map).

Yes, I have reformatted two USB external drives and one flash drive with Disk Utility (11.5.2) using Mac OS X 10.6.8 from my iMac 27" and used the APM scheme. Still no luck in the G3 recognising them except in  System Profiler. But they just will not mount onto the desktop

----------

Drive SetUp may or may not support the drive as it is. You should open up Drive Setup, have it scan your busses, and see if it shows up as a supported drive. If it does, then partition and format away. If not...then try it the OS X way.

I tried drive setup -- it scanned but could not pick it up

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
You should probably try something else then, like a USB Stick or File Sharing using an Ethernet Network.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Try this way (kinda reverse than you've tried before): http://www.ehow.com/how_8537774_detect-drive-mac-os-9.html

Create 2 partitions on WD drive first (on another computer). Single volume size limit for OS 9 is 200GB, so do not exceed that. Mentioned 128GB is IDE controller limit and it does have nothing to do with USB or firewire drives. 200GB is OS limitation, though.

You should get more luck with USB stick, I think. External WD drives, such as MyBook do have specific firmware/partition setup, which could be an issue for OS 9.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Hey at this point, I'm thinking you need a change in strategy. We are going further and further down a road that doesn't seem to be yielding any results...

Assuming what you have on the drive is valuable (to you), and assuming your time is worth something, I would suggest getting something like a USB to IDE/SATA adaptor (something like this: see random product at Amazon webpage

You can then pull the drive out of the beige G3, hook it up to the iMac, and voila!

There are plenty of different devices like this at Amazon, and all between $20 & $30. If you get one that reads IDE drive and SATA drives, you can use this again in the foreseeable future.

Just my suggestion...

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
You should probably try something else then, like a USB Stick or File Sharing using an Ethernet Network.

Tried both, neither work. I might try a crossover cable and do a direct connect

Try this way (kinda reverse than you've tried before): http://www.ehow.com/how_8537774_detect-drive-mac-os-9.html

Create 2 partitions on WD drive first (on another computer). Single volume size limit for OS 9 is 200GB, so do not exceed that. Mentioned 128GB is IDE controller limit and it does have nothing to do with USB or firewire drives. 200GB is OS limitation, though.

You should get more luck with USB stick, I think. External WD drives, such as MyBook do have specific firmware/partition setup, which could be an issue for OS 9.

Tried both, no luck. I think the USB card is only for keyboards and mice. Not storage devices.

That is because of the IDE controller; a USB card removes that limitation.

Thanks

Hey at this point, I'm thinking you need a change in strategy. We are going further and further down a road that doesn't seem to be yielding any results...

Assuming what you have on the drive is valuable (to you), and assuming your time is worth something, I would suggest getting something like a USB to IDE/SATA adaptor (something like this: see random product at Amazon webpage

You can then pull the drive out of the beige G3, hook it up to the iMac, and voila!

There are plenty of different devices like this at Amazon, and all between $20 & $30. If you get one that reads IDE drive and SATA drives, you can use this again in the foreseeable future.

Just my suggestion...

Yes, I have ordered this already actually:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-2-0-...tors&hash=item27bcc1fbe4&_uhb=1#ht_7682wt_946

One other thing I haven't tried is a crossover ethernet cable to try a direct G3 to imac connection. Which will have faster transfer speeds? the adapter with HD to USB2 or via ethernet from machine to machine?

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
UPDATE:

Got the IDE/USB2 adapter today. I pulled one of the internal IDE HDD's. Slapped the adapter in and hooked it to my one of my iMac's USB slot and nothing.

Shutdown the whole system. Powered up the IDE first than booted up my iMac and presto! the IDE drive popped up on the desktop!! Copied all the data off.

So it least this option works and think it might be faster than the ethernet route.

Because its a pain to constantly pull the IDE internal drive out of the G3, copy to iMac and reconnect it each time it fills up, I'm going to try connecting the adapter straight onto one of the ATA slots on the motherboard. If this works I can either connect it to a USB2 drive or a firewire 800 drive. It has FW400 and 800 ports on the back of the drive — which is faster to copy data: USB 2.0 or Firewire 400? (Not going to ask about FW800 as I suspect the motherboard or USB2/IDE adapter is bottlenecked at USB2.0 speeds)

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
UPDATE:

Got the IDE/USB2 adapter today.

— which is faster to copy data: USB 2.0 or Firewire 400? (Not going to ask about FW800 as I suspect the motherboard or USB2/IDE adapter is bottlenecked at USB2.0 speeds)

Glad to hear it worked! Now you have time to figure out how to do it regularly...

FireWire 400 will be slightly faster! And IMO more reliable.

Figuring out how to make Ethernet work would be the best long term solution. If you do regular updates or synching it will also be more efficient, but if you do whole backups it will be slow slow slow.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks blesscheese and everyone for all your help. Its much appreciated :D

Today the machine got a glich and now isn't booting up. It freezes on start up with "Error 10" and when I try starting up holding shift down (in case its an extension clash) it still crashes with the same error. What gives?

I think this might have to be a separate thread..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.