Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Apr 9, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Reg88
macrumors member

MAMP, DW CS6, Assembla SVN Config Question

Hi,
I am coming from Windows and now setting up my local environment on my Mac.

Currently I use an assembla SVN repo, and I store all of my working copies in /documents/SVN/clientName.

1) If I add MAMP to the mix, is there any problem making the client htdocs folders the SVN working copies? So that MAMP can be my local test?

2) Has anyone stored the htdocs folder on Dropbox? Or would that cause problems?

Thanks!
Reg88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 03:50 PM   #2
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg88 View Post
Hi,
I am coming from Windows and now setting up my local environment on my Mac.

Currently I use an assembla SVN repo, and I store all of my working copies in /documents/SVN/clientName.

1) If I add MAMP to the mix, is there any problem making the client htdocs folders the SVN working copies? So that MAMP can be my local test?

2) Has anyone stored the htdocs folder on Dropbox? Or would that cause problems?

Thanks!
I can not directly answer your questions. But I believe your question may be best answered by contacting appsolute GmbH - Support directly. I have been using MAMP PRO for several years and on the couple of occasions I needed support, I have found them to have a very knowledgeable staff. They usually respond back within a couple of hours. Just click on Support with the link provided.
firedept is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 01:34 PM   #3
SrWebDeveloper
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg88 View Post

Thanks!
The other user answered your question, this response is an alternative approach which you might consider, feel free to disregard if not for you:

Switch to GIT which works very well on Mac.
Maintain your repos on GITHUB.
Setup MAMP PRO for your local test.
Use Mac terminal to clone, commit, push, diff etc.
Use a quality IDE such as Komodo or Aptana which are CVS aware.

The repo should not be on the same box - you can lose it all if something breaks (yes, even on a Mac) so remote repo is the way to go. GITHUB web GUI makes repo management a piece of cake and you can create groups to allow read/write access. GIT in general is a more stable and professional tool than SVN and simplifies branching and ignoring files not intended for repo.

Just some thoughts.
SrWebDeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Reg88
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrWebDeveloper View Post
The other user answered your question, this response is an alternative approach which you might consider, feel free to disregard if not for you:

Switch to GIT which works very well on Mac.
Maintain your repos on GITHUB.
Setup MAMP PRO for your local test.
Use Mac terminal to clone, commit, push, diff etc.
Use a quality IDE such as Komodo or Aptana which are CVS aware.

The repo should not be on the same box - you can lose it all if something breaks (yes, even on a Mac) so remote repo is the way to go. GITHUB web GUI makes repo management a piece of cake and you can create groups to allow read/write access. GIT in general is a more stable and professional tool than SVN and simplifies branching and ignoring files not intended for repo.

Just some thoughts.
Thank you! I started with SVN, then went to Hg, then back to SVN. So I'll have to do some more research to see if I want to go back to a local->remote report style again. I'm getting to like just pushing to a remote repo since it's just me doing the coding for now.
Reg88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development