Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tutenstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
Maryland
I just recently migrated a Leopard iMac to a new iMac with Lion.

I get the following prompt whenever I log in.

"/Library/Startupitems/VirusBarrier" has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings.

What I don't understand is, I deleted VirusBarrier, so I don't know why it is trying to start up.
I went into Library and deleted anything VirusBarrier related, which wasn't much, a plist file or two.
I also Repaired Permissions, but it still pops up.

When I type in VirusBarrier into the Spotlight nothing even comes up.

I have googled this, but found nothing that applies.

I did a Grab of the pop-up, but can't attach the image.

I am struggling!!

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Last edited:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
What I don't understand is, I deleted VirusBarrier, so I don't know why it is trying to start up.
How did you delete it? Did you follow the manufacturer's instructions on how to uninstall it?

I went into Library and deleted anything VirusBarrier related, which wasn't much, a plist file or two.
There are three Library folders. One is directly in your startup disk, the second is in the System folder of the startup disk, and the third is in your Home folder (your Home Library is hidden by default in Lion). Which folders did you look in?

See this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/349902/

Found by googling delete VirusBarrier.

tutenstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
Maryland
Problem resolved.

How did you delete it? Did you follow the manufacturer's instructions on how to uninstall it?

There are three Library folders. One is directly in your startup disk, the second is in the System folder of the startup disk, and the third is in your Home folder (your Home Library is hidden by default in Lion). Which folders did you look in?

See this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/349902/

Found by googling delete VirusBarrier.

I foolishly did not follow the manufacturer's instructions on how to uninstall it.
I used AppZapper.

As far as which Library, I used the Option key while clicking on Go in the menu bar. I do not know which one that is though.

Edit

I clicked on the link and the problem is now resolved. I used the uninstall program that someone provided a link for.

Thank you very much.

Can't believe I didn't think to use the uninstall program.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I used AppZapper.
In most cases, app removal software such as AppZapper doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

As far as which Library, I used the Option key while clicking on Go in the menu bar. I do not know which one that is though.
That's your ~/Library, or your /Users/yourusername/Library folder.

Your Library folders are hidden by default in Lion. To get to your /Library or /Users/yourusername/Library (also known as the ~/Library) folders in Lion:
  • Launch Finder and click Go > Go to Folder and type: /Library or ~/Library
  • Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu.
  • Make it permanently visible by entering the following command in Terminal, then press the Enter key:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library​
  • 18 ways to view the ~/Library folder in Lion

To locate all your startup items, look in the following locations:
  • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
    (Lion users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/ and ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)

• /Library/StartupItems/

beckgwen

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
THANK YOU Legend!

GGJstudios, Thank you so much for clarifying the library differences and the steps to follow for a Lion user. Didn't even realise the steps would be slightly different but it made ALL the difference as i had been searching for hours to fix the 'item disabled' error that was on my computer for months.
I followed your steps and arrived at the correct Library (after i created a 'root user' of course) and finally i was able to rid myself of the pesky problem!
Finding the correct startupItems folder was my issue.

Thanks again! :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
In most cases, app removal software such as AppZapper doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

That's your ~/Library, or your /Users/yourusername/Library folder.

Your Library folders are hidden by default in Lion. To get to your /Library or /Users/yourusername/Library (also known as the ~/Library) folders in Lion:
  • Launch Finder and click Go > Go to Folder and type: /Library or ~/Library
  • Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu.
  • Make it permanently visible by entering the following command in Terminal, then press the Enter key:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library​
  • 18 ways to view the ~/Library folder in Lion

To locate all your startup items, look in the following locations:
  • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
    (Lion users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/ and ~/Library/LaunchAgents/

• /Library/StartupItems/
This is good advice - but I recommend using the provided uninstaller, if there is one, FIRST. Then do manual cleanup of the remnants, using the advice above. Doing it this way ensures, among other things, that kernel extensions used by the application are properly unregistered/unloaded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.