Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
My ARC-1680IX-24-4G is detecting these drives as SATA/600 but works only in SATA/150 mode :/

attachment.php

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Try experimenting with some of the settings.

You might also need to upgrade the firmware to 1.51 (released July 4, 2012; direct download link).

I got firmware 1.51 already:

3s6jthep.jpg

Disabling NCQ didn't helped. Forcing SATA mode is available only for Seagate, Western Digital or Hitachi drives...

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I got firmware 1.51 already:

Disabling NCQ didn't helped. Forcing SATA mode is available only for Seagate, Western Digital or Hitachi drives...
Previous screen shot only indicated v.1.5, not 1.51. Since issues like this are usually firmware related (drives as well as the card), it was worth mentioning.

As per card settings, I meant the SSD settings.

Unfortunately, you may not be able to do anything about this (seen it numerous times with mechanical drives). If you can't get this adjusted, it still may not be time to panic anyway (run a speed test). ;)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I could never SSDs to work right with the 1680. I'd upgrade to the 1880 which works great.

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
I could never SSDs to work right with the 1680. I'd upgrade to the 1880 which works great.

Both Areca and OCZ offered some support.

Areca told me to login to SAS expander via RJ-11 cable and set to 3G mode only, while OCZ offered a speed fix which removes SATA600 support so it would be SATA300 only then controller will work on max speed too.

Kingston V200 128 GB SATA/600 SSD isn't recognized at all by my card.

Last edited:

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
It has a more difficult time, as it was designed before SSD's were prevalent. Not impossible to use SSD's with the 1680 series, but it will have additional caveats, even with the newer settings made available in the firmware as it doesn't have the additional hardware support that's in the newer LSI chips used in the 188x series.

Both Areca and OCZ offered some support.

Areca told me to login to SAS expander via RJ-11 cable and set to 3G mode only, while OCZ offered a speed fix which removes SATA600 support so it would be SATA300 only then controller will work on max speed too.

Kingston V200 128 GB SATA/600 SSD isn't recognized at all by my card.
Firmware incompatibilities as I expected. At least they will work, even if not with the settings you'd hoped to use, unlike the Kingstons you mention.

Unfortunately, this will continue to be a problem over time (even happens with mechanical disks, so it's not solely an issue with SSD's). Which is why checking the HDD Compatibility List can really be worthwhile (will indicate limitations if it's not 100% functional, such as a reduced setting or need to disable a feature, such as NCQ).

At least you've got them running. :)

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
It has a more difficult time, as it was designed before SSD's were prevalent. Not impossible to use SSD's with the 1680 series, but it will have additional caveats, even with the newer settings made available in the firmware as it doesn't have the additional hardware support that's in the newer LSI chips used in the 188x series.

Firmware incompatibilities as I expected. At least they will work, even if not with the settings you'd hoped to use, unlike the Kingstons you mention.

Unfortunately, this will continue to be a problem over time (even happens with mechanical disks, so it's not solely an issue with SSD's). Which is why checking the HDD Compatibility List can really be worthwhile (will indicate limitations if it's not 100% functional, such as a reduced setting or need to disable a feature, such as NCQ).

At least you've got them running. :)

I'm ordering special Areca RJ-11 to DB9 cable and will check if this forcing ports to 3G will work :)

I just got rid on my all my A-Data drives which were failing like crazy. I hope Vertex 4 will be very reliable just like the 3 was. My two 120 GB Vertexes 3 in RAID1 are working more than a year 24/7 and absolutely no issues with about 1500 MySQL databases and high load !

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.