Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncscgirl2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Not sure what happened but my daughter cannot get her headphones to fit in the headphone jack. It was working fine one day and the next day she could not get them to fit in.

We sent it to Apple and they determined the damage is from an external cause so they won't fix it for free.

I have tried over and over to "force" the headphones in but still no luck. I cannot see anything down in the actual jack...only the white sensor. I have used a toothpick to see if there was anything in there and couldn't find anything.

Please help.

NETEFX.NET

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
Fontana, CA
ipod touch headphone jack troubles.

The iPod Touch headphone jacks are sensitive to foreign debris and can cause the lower contacts to protrude farther than normal. However this would be visible while looking into the headphone jack. Depending on your model, there is a spherical spring loaded contact in the upper portion of the headphone jack. The spherical contact should recess easily into inner jack when pressure is applied. If it does not recess easily your audio adapter will be difficult to insert and may not insert at all. The spherical contact often get stuck by particulates was well as "sticky" substances. If your jack get stuck near the entrance of the headphone jack the problem is related to the spherical contact. If the jack makes it most of the way but doesn't completely seat then the problem is either the lower contacts or there is something at the bottom of the headphone jack it self preventing further insertion.

Take a careful look at the headphone plug on your headphones and look for any signs of wear or damage that will give you a good starting point where to look inside the headphone jack for the problem.

Lastly you can always find a iPod repair company that offers a free diagnosis and ask them if they would examine the headphone jack for you.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
Had same problem. Headphone Jack wouldn't go all the way in the input Jack

Found a bunch of lint had built up inside the hole. Took an old guitars string a D electric string and fished it out. Pulled out a pc of lintthat was aboutthe size of a flea blocking the headphone Jack.

allisg43

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Fixed my problem with a hairpin

Thanks for the tip NETEFX.NET. I had the same problem where I could not get my earphones to fit into the jack. I fished around in my earphone jack with a hairpin and pulled out a thing of lint. Now it works fine :)

Nameschmame

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
THANK U SO MUCH! I have an iTouch 4th gen and over time I couldn't put my headphones in the jack. They just kept popping out and I had to hold them in. I was really worried when I read about people taking the whole thing apart. I used a toothpick and found a ********* of dust/lint in there. I couldn't even see the white indicator that people were referring to.
I literally just made an account to thank u guys!

Drjeffcornwall

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
Toothpick works

Had same problem with iPad. Used toothpick to extract some sand/dirt. Took some patience and used jack to gently crush/loosen material and then used toothpick holding iPad upside down to let gravity take over from there.

mutal

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2013
iphone jack problem

When i insert my earphones into the ear jack they r not getting completely inserted .what the do u think.abd wen i insert the earphones into other iphone r ipod they r getting inserted whats the prob plz do respond mee guys:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.