Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zacnoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Cyberspace
Hi. I currently have 4GB of RAM in my Macbook White Unibody (mid-2010). I am in need of an upgrade to 8GB or preferably 16GB, has anybody tested it?. Also, I am wondering about the speeds, it says that the RAM is 1067 (1066Mhz), If I got some DDR3-1666 or DDR3-1333 RAM, would it actually have an effect on performance? (Or work at all for that matter.)
I am also aware that 8GB or 16GB is over Apples official limit (4GB) but I've heard that it has been tested to 16GB on Mountain Lion (I have ML.)

Thank you for reading,
zacnoo

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hi. I currently have 4GB of RAM in my Macbook White Unibody (mid-2010). I am in need of an upgrade to 8GB or preferably 16GB, has anybody tested it?. Also, I am wondering about the speeds, it says that the RAM is 1067 (1066Mhz), If I got some DDR3-1666 or DDR3-1333 RAM, would it actually have an effect on performance? (Or work at all for that matter.)
I am also aware that 8GB or 16GB is over Apples official limit (4GB) but I've heard that it has been tested to 16GB on Mountain Lion (I have ML.)

Thank you for reading,
zacnoo

I don't know if the RAM frequency will cause problems for you, but it hasn't for me. I have an early 2009 20" iMac that's supposed to take 1066MHz and I have 8GB of 1333MHz installed.

I would assume that everymac.com specs are correct and the 16GB on ML is correct. Just be sure to update the EFI and the OS BEFORE buying and installing the RAM.

zacnoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Cyberspace
I don't know if the RAM frequency will cause problems for you, but it hasn't for me. I have an early 2009 20" iMac that's supposed to take 1066MHz and I have 8GB of 1333MHz installed.

I would assume that everymac.com specs are correct and the 16GB on ML is correct. Just be sure to update the EFI and the OS BEFORE buying and installing the RAM.

Did it propose a performance increase? (Having 1333MHz instead of 1067MHz.)
The reason I'm asking about the speed is whether it will actually be worth paying extra for 1333/1666MHz or if it doesn't have any advantage over 1067MHz.

Thanks for the speedy response,
zacnoo

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Did it propose a performance increase? (Having 1333MHz instead of 1067MHz.)
The reason I'm asking about the speed is whether it will actually be worth paying extra for 1333/1666MHz or if it doesn't have any advantage over 1067MHz.

Thanks for the speedy response,
zacnoo

Your computer will recognize that it is a different frequency, but I don't think you'll gain anything because the computer itself is rated for a specific RAM frequency. This was just cheaper than the 1066MHz, so I bought it.

zacnoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Cyberspace
Your computer will recognize that it is a different frequency, but I don't think you'll gain anything because the computer itself is rated for a specific RAM frequency. This was just cheaper than the 1066MHz, so I bought it.

Okay, thanks :) So, I guess I'm stuck with 1066Mhz then :p

To-buy list:
2x8GB DDR3-1066 :apple:

Thanks for the info,
zacnoo

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Your Mid 2010 macbook wont see 16gb i beleive the max you can get in one is 8GB. have higher speed memory wont make a difference either it will be clocked down to 1066

zacnoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Cyberspace
The CPU is connected to the MCP79 via a 1066MHz FSB, so you won't see a difference in CPU performance.

But as the MCP79 houses the GPU and the memory controller, the graphics will perform slightly better with 1333MHz RAM.

How slightly? 5% or less? If so, I think just getting the 1066 RAM will be easier and cheaper.

Thanks for the reply,
zacnoo

rodedwards

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Ram on Ebay

I've upgraded to 32Gb 1033mhz but can't tell a hell of a lot of difference. Doubt 1066 will be noticeable either.

Last edited:

samov

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
Watch out... using higher spec ram will cause your gpu to overclock and crash in graphics intensive games. You won't notice it since the 320m actually takes overclocking quite well...

The older 9400m in the late 2008 model was much more sensitive about memory.

Always use the required spec ram of 1066 mhz...

----------

What kind of mac do you have?

I've upgraded to 32Gb 1033mhz but can't tell a hell of a lot of difference. Doubt 1066 will be noticeable either.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I think it is a good rule of thumb not to exceed the standard ram speed by more than bump. For instance, if it came with 666mhz ram, 800 is a safe bet. if it came with 10333 than 10666 should be fine.
Also be aware that some types of ram that fit are not compatible at all. For instance there are DDR2 and DDR3 ram modules that are physically identical and will both fit the same slot, but only one type will function.
As far as buying higher speed ram, I have never seen a Mac sold with one speed of ram, suddenly accept a higher speed ram AND switch to that higher speed. Instead it will just underclock the faster ram.

fortysomegeek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
What you need to do is see if your CPU supports 16GB. Some older intel chips simply don't.

You'll need to find the CPU name and make and then google "intel ark " and your model number.
Once you get to the Intel ARK site, it will tell you your maximum ram you can run (if your bios supports it). If your bios has no limit (macs usually don't have any limits), that is the max ram you can upgrade to.

Here is an example.
If I wanted to know the max ram for an i5 found in some Airs, I google: "ark Core i5-2467M" and it returns
http://ark.intel.com/products/56858
which tells me the maximum ram is 8GB.

To get your CPU model and make, find your cpu by typing this in the terminal:

sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string

To get full CPU info, run in command:

sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu

Once you get your make and model, simply "ark it"

Intel's ark site will give you the definitive answer over what any manufacture or anonymous internet poster tells you.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I think it is a good rule of thumb not to exceed the standard ram speed by more than bump. For instance, if it came with 666mhz ram, 800 is a safe bet. if it came with 10333 than 10666 should be fine.
Also be aware that some types of ram that fit are not compatible at all. For instance there are DDR2 and DDR3 ram modules that are physically identical and will both fit the same slot, but only one type will function.
As far as buying higher speed ram, I have never seen a Mac sold with one speed of ram, suddenly accept a higher speed ram AND switch to that higher speed. Instead it will just underclock the faster ram.

The notches on DDR2 and DDR3 are different, so it won't physically fit.

Mid-2010 machines came with 1066MHz, but work with 1333MHz just fine. And no, they don't underclock but show 1333MHz in 'About this Mac'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.