Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
First off acearchie, a hearty thanks for the huge effort you put in here with individual feedback again.

My shot was a close up of a pelican, the part just at the base and side of the neck. To me it could easily have been a mass of fish schooling too. I loved the gradation from light to dark when I saw it in the viewfinder and twisted awkwardly to achieve the shot, semi-clambering over a fence to get as close as I possibly could.

Thanks for getting me to think whilst out with camera in hand about B&W possibilities too. :)

I think this is a perfect example of how sometimes it can feel a bit odd taking a shot (clambering over a fence and having to hold the camera in an odd position) but in the end picture we don't see any of that and just see a great shot.

A man of your word!!! Thanks for not abandoning us !

No problem! When I started on these forums the critiquing was the one thing that really helped me to improve (if I do say so myself). The least I can try and do is give back!

Thanks for the comments, Acearchie! I ran my photo through Topaz Adjust 5 to apply adaptive exposure to it. The sun was blinding that day so most of the snow was a solid bright white... I wanted to bring out some of the texture in the snow but you're right that it also significantly affects the cloud appearance. Maybe next time I'll use a 10-stop neutral density filter to smooth the clouds out.

Original:
mayflower1.jpg

+ LR4 clarity adjustment:
mayflower2.jpg

+ Topaz Adjust 5 adaptive exposure + LR4 selenium tone:
mayflower3.jpg

I think it's the clarity adjustment in LR that makes it feel just a little odd for me. Have you tried using a graduated filter with the clarity adjustment to keep it off the sky? The Topaz adjustment seems to add it's own clarity style filter on top and it's the small halation around the clouds that is a giveaway for me that it feels a little unnatural.

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
I think it's the clarity adjustment in LR that makes it feel just a little odd for me. Have you tried using a graduated filter with the clarity adjustment to keep it off the sky? The Topaz adjustment seems to add it's own clarity style filter on top and it's the small halation around the clouds that is a giveaway for me that it feels a little unnatural.
I tried skipping the clarity adjustment altogether and running it through Topaz Adjust... the result is certainly different, with the snow coming out darker and the clouds having less definition. Here are the two versions for comparison:

Original + LR4 clarity + Topaz Adjust 5 + LR4 Selenium Tone:
mayflower3.jpg

Original + Topaz Adjust 5 + LR4 Selenium Tone (no LR4 clarity applied):
mayflower4.jpg

This also fixes the halation around the larger tree. It's not quite the result I'm after but I'll keep tinkering. Thanks for the feedback!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I tried skipping the clarity adjustment altogether and running it through Topaz Adjust... the result is certainly different, with the snow coming out darker and the clouds having less definition. Here are the two versions for comparison:

Original + LR4 clarity + Topaz Adjust 5 + LR4 Selenium Tone:
mayflower3.jpg

Original + Topaz Adjust 5 + LR4 Selenium Tone (no LR4 clarity applied):
mayflower4.jpg

This also fixes the halation around the larger tree. It's not quite the result I'm after but I'll keep tinkering. Thanks for the feedback!

Nice to see it being tried out.

The new one looks almost too smooth and soft on the snow! I'm sure you will get there in the end!

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
A really great candid shot, especially difficult for non compliant subjects! The foot cropping the frame is a tiny distraction but the expression and dutch angle are great. Focus is spot on and it's nice to see him almost completely tack sharp and the background nicely soft. Tones are great with nothing too dark or too light!

Thanks for the detailed critique, I really appreciate it. This was taken at the zoo where my wife and I work, and we have an interactive lemur feeding island (that I work on), so I have lots of wonderful opportunities to get cool shots of these guys. This is the type of shot I'd like to replicate and improve on in the future and see what else I can do with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.