Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pj123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Hi, I have an ipad3 and a mini. All my games are on ipad3. I have no game apps on ipad mini. Now I want to transfer all the games from ipad3 to the mini. I backed up everything on ipad 3 to itunes on my MBP. I then connected the mini to the MBP to restore from (the ipad3) backup. But after the process is done, I found that the ipad3 data/documents had been transferred to the mini, but none of the ipad3 games got transferred to the mini! -- the mini is still game-free. Could someone tell me what went wrong? Thank you!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
, I found that the ipad3 data/documents had been transferred to the mini, but none of the ipad3 games got transferred to the mini! -- the mini is still game-free. Could someone tell me what went wrong? Thank you!

The apps aren't in the backup, just the app data. You need to sync to get the apps

pj123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Hi Thanks for your help. Could you tell me how to sync to get the apps through itunes? Thank you!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
The apps aren't in the backup, just the app data. You need to sync to get the apps

Sort of. When restoring from a backup, iTunes restores your settings first, restarts your device, then syncs all of your apps back to the device. I can confirm this as I just tested it with my iPhone.

Hi Thanks for your help. Could you tell me how to sync to get the apps through itunes? Thank you!

Plug in your iPad and select restore. Try restoring again to that backup as iTunes should sync your apps automatically after a restore.

pj123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
HazyCloud: thanks for the help! I tried your method but it still didn't work. I did an experiment by first manually installing a game app, then did restoring from backup. This way worked (for that specific game). But the problem is that this method sounds pretty stupid -- there must be a better way.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
HazyCloud: thanks for the help! I tried your method but it still didn't work. I did an experiment by first manually installing a game app, then did restoring from backup. This way worked (for that specific game). But the problem is that this method sounds pretty stupid -- there must be a better way.

You can sync them back through iTunes instead of installing all of them individually. Just plug in your iPad and go to the Apps tab. Then select what apps you want and hit sync.

Of course, I'm one who strongly advise against using iTunes, so I'd personally just reinstall the ones I needed from the App Store.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Sort of. When restoring from a backup, iTunes restores your settings first, restarts your device, then syncs all of your apps back to the device. I can confirm this as I just tested it with my iPhone.

Sort of? How it is sort of when you said the same thing I did. Just in a different phrasing.

----------

Plug in your iPad and select restore. Try restoring again to that backup as iTunes should sync your apps automatically after a restore.

There's no reason to restore again. iTunes could be set not to sync automatically when a device is plugged in and that could be blocking the auto sync after the backup. Or maybe the apps aren't in the computer to be synced by the automatic process.

Assuming the apps are in the computer, plug in the iPad and hit sync. That's all that should be needed. Not another restore.

Last edited:

rahul247rocks

macrumors member
May 18, 2012
Follow the steps
1. Connect iPad 3
2. Go to Backup and Select the option that allows you to store in your local computer.

3. Now connect iPad Mini and select which apps you want from your backup.

Note: App Data for most apps will sync. Others using iCloud takes time to sync depending on your internet connection.

Hope this helps!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Sort of? How it is sort of when you said the same thing I did. Just in a different phrasing.

I said sort of because the apps are "sort of" in the backup. During the restore of a backup, the apps are restored along with the data.

There's no reason to restore again. iTunes could be set not to sync automatically when a device is plugged in and that could be blocking the auto sync after the backup. Or maybe the apps aren't in the computer to be synced by the automatic process.

Assuming the apps are in the computer, plug in the iPad and hit sync. That's all that should be needed. Not another restore.

The setting doesn't have any affect during the restore process. Mine is set to not sync automatically and my iPhone still did after the restore was complete. I'd assume it ignores it since syncing the apps back are part of the restore process.

The setting only applies to devices that are already setup and then plugged in to iTunes.

Yes, if the apps aren't in iTunes, obviously iTunes can't sync them back. This is very possible why the OP didn't get the games synced back. Although, if there's purchases on the device that aren't in iTunes, you will be prompted to sync those upon first plug in.

Follow the steps
1. Connect iPad 3
2. Go to Backup and Select the option that allows you to store in your local computer.

3. Now connect iPad Mini and select which apps you want from your backup.

Note: App Data for most apps will sync. Others using iCloud takes time to sync depending on your internet connection.

Hope this helps!

You cannot selectively choose what gets restored when restoring from a backup. If they do what you suggested, all they will be doing is restoring from the iPad 3 backup which they have already done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.