Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sambobsessed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
let's just say i backed my computer up with time machine and i reset my computer.

i then reset it succesfully - is it possiblke for me just to drag it from the hard drive back onto my computer instead of restoring the whole hard drive to my mac? i only want certain things from the hard drive is this possible?

thanks

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I think, with Adobe products, they probably have some technical feature that presents you from doing this since when you install photoshop (etc), there's other files being added to your computer than just the app itself in APPLICATION.

Also, there's the issue of the license too.

This is my speculation so someone else chime in on this.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
I've definitely had (re) activation issues when migrating from one machine to another through a Time Machine backup.

Using Carbon Copy Cloner, on the other hand, no problem. The reason you're going to "reset" your computer may preclude just cloning the drive (since you might just clone back whatever software issue you were having), but if you're just switching to a larger HD or something, I'd consider going with a full clone vs. a Time Machine restore.

sambobsessed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
I think, with Adobe products, they probably have some technical feature that presents you from doing this since when you install photoshop (etc), there's other files being added to your computer than just the app itself in APPLICATION.

Also, there's the issue of the license too.

This is my speculation so someone else chime in on this.

I've definitely had (re) activation issues when migrating from one machine to another through a Time Machine backup.

Using Carbon Copy Cloner, on the other hand, no problem. The reason you're going to "reset" your computer may preclude just cloning the drive (since you might just clone back whatever software issue you were having), but if you're just switching to a larger HD or something, I'd consider going with a full clone vs. a Time Machine restore.

so let's just say, theoretically - if I added a framework to the file that took it out of it's trial mode or something crazily bizarre like that - surely the file would still be in there? it's not as if my hard drive knows how to reset the program :p

so theoretically... anyone know?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
so let's just say, theoretically - if I added a framework to the file that took it out of it's trial mode or something crazily bizarre like that - surely the file would still be in there? it's not as if my hard drive knows how to reset the program :p

so theoretically... anyone know?

It can not be done properly through time machine. Had my HDD replaced on my iMac due to recall. When a backup from time machine was used to restore my files and apps, it was a mess. I had to uninstall all my apps (Adobe CS6 being one of them) and reinstall them. It did not properly move over some of the files or did not recognize some, whatever the case may be, I had to put serials back in them. I have never cloned my drive but believe that might be the way to go. I am going to clone my drive in the very near future (next few days), as I have read many good things about cloning here in the forums. Hopefully someone can give you more advice on the cloning side of things. But time machine is not the way to do it. You may as well do fresh installs of all your apps instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.