Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:49 PM   #1
dmw16
macrumors regular

Silent Hunter 5 on my iMac (in Parallels)

I was a huge fan of the original Silent Hunter series and I would like to try the new one.

I have a 2011 27" iMac and I am running Windows 7 via Parallels. Will Silent Hunter 5 work in this setup? Since I can't return it if it doesn't I wanted to see if anyone has any insight.

Thanks.
dmw16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Jindra12
macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am also big fan with the submarine games. I learned this through a google search. It is recommended you to use the bootcamp to run the game. There is some small glitch in it, however, you will need to make sure your video graphic is high enough to handle the game's video demand.

Happy hunting,

Eric
Jindra12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:35 PM   #3
dmw16
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindra12 View Post
Hello,

I am also big fan with the submarine games. I learned this through a google search. It is recommended you to use the bootcamp to run the game. There is some small glitch in it, however, you will need to make sure your video graphic is high enough to handle the game's video demand.

Happy hunting,

Eric
I don't have bootcamp setup and since I only have a 256GB SSD I really don't have a good way of setting it up. Guess I'm out of luck?
dmw16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Jindra12
macrumors newbie

Uh, you said you have 2011 iMac and you only have 256 GB SSD? No other HDs in your iMac?

I think you could set up a bootcamp on your SSD. You'll need to research through google to work around the system. I do believe it is do-able.

If you run parallels, it will take a toll on your iMac because it has to run two different OS with one hardware system. It is better to run one operating system with one hardware to maximize the hardware's performance.
Jindra12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:30 AM   #5
TallManNY
macrumors 68020

Bootcamp would use about 50GB of space on the SSD. So that might make things too tight. And if you did bootcamp, I'd suggest you go higher than that. Once you have complete access to all Windows games as they come out, well you find that there are plenty of games you want to try. I wish I had set aside far more than 100GB for my bootcamp partition. For now I'm deleting some games that I know I can redownload from Steam. But it is hardly the best solution. Eventually, I need to bite the bullet and put an external drive (which means another cord on my already crowded desk).
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games