Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 29, 2008, 05:05 PM   #1
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601

Auto-sync iPhoto to Flickr?

Is there a plugin or application that will automatically upload photos from an iPhoto library to a Flickr (Pro, to get around the upload limits of the free accounts) account? I'd like to plug my camera into my computer, have it download the photos to my iPhoto library (which is already a two click affair) and then upload those photos to my Flickr account with somewhere between 0 and a few clicks, preferably in the background so you can look at the photos you just loaded onto your computer?

Also syncing tags and edited version of photos to the Flickr account would be good, as would a "recover" option to download photos from Flickr into iPhoto with tags. Having it automatically create photo streams that match albums in your local iPhoto library would be really cool, but none of that would be strictly required.

I'm interested in this primarily as an off-site backup system.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Cameront9
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreen4242 View Post
Is there a plugin or application that will automatically upload photos from an iPhoto library to a Flickr (Pro, to get around the upload limits of the free accounts) account? I'd like to plug my camera into my computer, have it download the photos to my iPhoto library (which is already a two click affair) and then upload those photos to my Flickr account with somewhere between 0 and a few clicks, preferably in the background so you can look at the photos you just loaded onto your computer?

Also syncing tags and edited version of photos to the Flickr account would be good, as would a "recover" option to download photos from Flickr into iPhoto with tags. Having it automatically create photo streams that match albums in your local iPhoto library would be really cool, but none of that would be strictly required.

I'm interested in this primarily as an off-site backup system.
Hmm, not sure if there's any software that will automatically upload, but it seems like it wouldn't be hard to set up to do using Automator or Applescript...
Cameront9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 01:11 PM   #3
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601

Duh, you were right. It was trivially simple once I searched for and found a Flickr upload Automator action. Between Automator, that action, and the way OSX handles digital cameras (the Image Capture application detects any connected camera and will launch whatever app you tell it to) it was extremely simple.

It doesn't do tag syncing, but it happens at the time of import so it's a good backup solution. If anyone wants the Automator script let me know. It basically works like this: plug in camera > get prompted to continue process > download pics from camera > import pics into iPhoto > delete downloaded pics (they're in your iPhoto library now) > upload the "last imported" smart album to Flickr account (tagged as "backup", set to private). You get Growl notices along the way, and the photos are in your trash bin at the end, in case something goes wrong you can still recover the pictures.

Thanks for the hint getting me going in the right direction!
Old Sep 3, 2008, 04:56 PM   #4
amykhar
macrumors newbie

I would definitely be interested in this script. I've never played much with Automator. Guess it's time I learned. I backed up my iPhoto last night and reformatted my hard drive. I then restored my iPhoto directory, but a bunch of pictures were missing. I would rather never have that happen again. If everything were to go to flickr, I would have a good offsite backup of all my pictures.

Amy
amykhar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 12:48 PM   #5
wesleywilson
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreen4242 View Post
Duh, you were right. It was trivially simple once I searched for and found a Flickr upload Automator action. Between Automator, that action, and the way OSX handles digital cameras (the Image Capture application detects any connected camera and will launch whatever app you tell it to) it was extremely simple.

It doesn't do tag syncing, but it happens at the time of import so it's a good backup solution. If anyone wants the Automator script let me know. It basically works like this: plug in camera > get prompted to continue process > download pics from camera > import pics into iPhoto > delete downloaded pics (they're in your iPhoto library now) > upload the "last imported" smart album to Flickr account (tagged as "backup", set to private). You get Growl notices along the way, and the photos are in your trash bin at the end, in case something goes wrong you can still recover the pictures.

Thanks for the hint getting me going in the right direction!
I'd be interested in this script as well. Thank you.

Wesley
wesleywilson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:30 AM   #6
zepr
macrumors newbie

wow

i would be badly interested in having this script too.
I would probably modify it to sync the last imported album every night at 2.00 pm, but it's cool to have a script to start with, since I'm quite new to Automator... Thanx
zepr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:23 PM   #7
SpencerReynolds
macrumors newbie

Any chance of getting the script?

I would really like to get a copy of this AppleScript too please!!
SpencerReynolds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 05:29 AM   #8
sushiposter
macrumors newbie

me too

Hi

Can you please publish the script somewhere to download.
Would be awesome :-)

Hans
sushiposter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 05:39 AM   #9
philgilder
macrumors 68000

iPhoto '09 already syncs with Flickr, as well as Facebook and MobileMe
Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:26 AM   #10
sushiposter
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgilder View Post
iPhoto '09 already syncs with Flickr, as well as Facebook and MobileMe
I still have iPhoto '08 because I have an old macbook 12'' - any chance you post the script ?

Thanks
Hans
sushiposter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:00 AM   #11
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Hope this an ok bump (not sure if its against site rules) but i've just discovered flickr, well i knew about it but didn't take it seriously.

I was thinking about using it as back up for my photo's and would be interested if anything had come of an auto sync with iPhoto '11.

Cheers

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:09 PM   #12
al85
macrumors newbie

1 TB storage now on flickr. Please someone help find a sync feature so i can back my photos up online. Ive been searching with no luck yet.
al85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:45 PM   #13
tlccreates
macrumors newbie

flickr is not for backup from iPhoto

Unfortunately, iPhoto is great for uploading to flickr but you can't use it as a backup because any photos deleted from iPhoto will then be automatically deleted from flickr.

If you did through your account info on flickr you will see that iPhoto has delete privileges that you can not turn off.

I have tried using a stand alone flickr uploader by dragging from iPhoto into the app but the same thing happens. The files are still linked to iPhoto so they were deleted from flickr when I deleted from iPhoto. Changing the name of the set on flickr did not protect the files.

The only workaround, and it is a painful process, is to drag photos from iPhoto to the desktop and then from the desktop to the stand alone flickr uploader. UGH!

I am not using the latest iPhoto version and would LOVE for someone to tell me that this has changed. I would update iPhoto in a blink if that were the case.
tlccreates is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:55 PM   #14
Razeus
macrumors 68040

What I use:

http://connectedflow.com/flickrexport/

An article on it:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/02...r-your-sanity/
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store