Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Since I can't return it, and trying to sell it will result in some loss of profit, I figured that I can find some use for "the most popular tablet(s) ever".
Unless you paid $400-$500 for your raffle tickets how can you not make a profit?

...The fact that we have to walk on egg-shells so as to not offend anybody is in fact, offensive.
I object to your Easter-centric reply.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Hey there guys. Just attended a holiday dinner party and I won a iPad 4 in a raffle.

As a Windows user who does heavy word processing, Java/JS/HTML+CSS, Unity, Matlab, and CATIA, I am interested in what my new iPad can do to improve my productivity.

Since I can't return it, and trying to sell it will result in some loss of profit, I figured that I can find some use for "the most popular tablet(s) ever".

I have literally no Apple product experience. Currently using a M6600 Dell workstation and a Note II.

Any help would be appreciated!

The iPad is simple enough for small children to use so I think you could figure it out. If you want the money then just sell it. Otherwise turn it on and Im sure you can operate it. But if you want the "geekiest" stuff then stick with what you have.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hey there guys. Just attended a holiday dinner party and I won a iPad 4 in a raffle.

As a Windows user who does heavy word processing, Java/JS/HTML+CSS, Unity, Matlab, and CATIA, I am interested in what my new iPad can do to improve my productivity.

I have literally no Apple product experience. Currently using a M6600 Dell workstation and a Note II.

Any help would be appreciated!

Check out Pages, it's no Microsoft Word, but it's very enjoyable to use and is robust.

Coda is really cool for editing code on the go too: https://panic.com/dietcoda/ It's a huge hit on the Mac.

And there's even Matlab for iOS: http://www.mathworks.com/mobile/?s_tid=main_mobile_ML_rp

As for CATIA, there's even an app for you to look through your models: http://www.3dvia.com/products/3dvia-mobile/

So actually, quite a bit there for you. :D Highly would recommend a Bluetooth keyboard for your needs.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Get an app like logmein or something similar and then connect to whatever computer you usually use. Use the iPad as a remote desktop and see if it works for you.

----------

Check out Pages, it's no Microsoft Word, but it's very enjoyable to use and is robust.

All the rumors lately seem to indicate that Microsoft is working on an office release for the iPad. Nobody has any idea when or how much they will charge.

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
You say you have a Note II and Laptop? Why not have one of those "Fun" pieces of tech in your life? You know an iPad that goes around the house, you load up with some apps, sits on your nightstand. I know that is what my iPad is like.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Get a black felt tip pen and write "Thank you for your support - Steve" on the box. Then place the box in storage and forget about it for about 50 years. Someone will find it and .....

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
If you find you really don't want it (and yes, there are people who will find no use for an iPad), donating it is a good idea. I've had just about every version (1, 2, 3). As I upgrade I pass the old one to my grandkids. Well this last time we decided we didn't néed the iPad 1 so I called the local children's hospital. They were thrilled. We added a $50 gift card too. There are so many sick kids there and many have parents who are struggling with just meeting bills and having a sick child. The hours of enjoyment that the kids get (when their days simply aren't much fun) is worth more than you can imagine.

We'll do the same next time too.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
If you find you really don't want it (and yes, there are people who will find no use for an iPad), donating it is a good idea. I've had just about every version (1, 2, 3). As I upgrade I pass the old one to my grandkids. Well this last time we decided we didn't néed the iPad 1 so I called the local children's hospital. They were thrilled. We added a $50 gift card too. There are so many sick kids there and many have parents who are struggling with just meeting bills and having a sick child. The hours of enjoyment that the kids get (when their days simply aren't much fun) is worth more than you can imagine.

We'll do the same next time too.

this is so cool
we've donated our older model ipads/ipods/computers to the local children's hospitals also

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.