Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
Is there a forum on this site for buying and selling? I saw one on the archives, but can't see one in the current forums.

I am getting a Quicksilver G4 and want to find a Zip bezel. So where can I ask if anyone has one?

Thanks...
JR

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
There is an excellent market place section on the site, but in order to access it you need a post count of 250 or more. The rule is there to prevent spammers etc. from creating usernames and just using the MP section with their products.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
There is an excellent market place section on the site, but in order to access it you need a post count of 250 or more. The rule is there to prevent spammers etc. from creating usernames and just using the MP section with their products.

And 6 months of membership :mad:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
For the reason I described above...It would be all too easy for spammers and even con artists to post goods for sale in the Market Place boards, and it is a good one...The rules are there to keep it safe for all.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
For the reason I described above...It would be all too easy for spammers and even con artists to post goods for sale in the Market Place boards, and it is a good one...The rules are there to keep it safe for all.

Seems like a good rule to me.

I've learned the hard way to be very careful when purchasing pre-owned Macs. I imagine that these rules provide greater safety.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Seems like a good rule to me.

I've learned the hard way to be very careful when purchasing pre-owned Macs. I imagine that these rules provide greater safety.

What was the issue? If you don't mind me asking. I usually only buy products that can be verified and still under warranty

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
What was the issue? If you don't mind me asking. I usually only buy products that can be verified and still under warranty

I don't mind. I've posted it here before.

In eBay's early days, I bought a 300MHz PowerBook G3. It was listed as in something like "excellent" condition. It was a piece of crap -- filthy and abused -- though I did get it to work. eBay did nothing on my behalf except to say "Better luck next time."

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011

In eBay's early days, I bought a 300MHz PowerBook G3. It was listed as in something like "excellent" condition. It was a piece of crap -- filthy and abused -- though I did get it to work. eBay did nothing on my behalf except to say "Better luck next time."

Which is exactly what we don't want to happen here. I sold my iPhone 4S on the board, received my money without issue, and got a very positive feedback from the buyer..Win win...I wouldn't touch Ebay with a ten foot pole. Far too many stories of woe to even think about using it....I'm in the process of selling my Imac and an MBP, here in the UK ebay is just about the only marketplace that reaches a large audience, but I prefer to wait for a sale. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want a total stranger wandering into my place...I have expensive guitars recording equipment and cameras....I'd rather deal with someone I have at least had some form of contact with before...Call me paranoid if you want to, but who knows? Buy the Imac, and return with a truck to clean me out? I'd rather not risk it..:)

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX

Dang that sucks. :eek:

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Dang that sucks. :eek:

Yes, it sucks.

I even got an attorney friend of mine to intervene to no avail. The seller was a total POS.

Back then, I was purchasing PowerBooks for people in different professions, most of whom had little or no experience with Macs. The PowerBook G3s were all the rage then. I'd do things like clean them up, add RAM, add a DVD drive (not all of them came with one, and they weren't cheap), and recommend software purchases for them based on their needs. When I was done with the PowerBooks, I'd teach them how to use the Mac OS. It was a great deal of fun for me, and my customers were always satisfied.

The case I described earlier was the second time I got screwed on eBay around that time. All in all, I did pretty well on what became a side job. My clients new what they were paying for, and we always easily agreed on a final price for each PowerBook.

(An incredible anomaly at that time: Combo CD/DVD drives were going off as high as $800 on eBay, typically closer to ~$650-$700. And the PowerBook G3s were considered THE laptop on which to watch DVDs. One of the Mac-centric resellers was offering them for ~$100, and I never had any idea why this was so. I bought a bunch of them and either added them to PowerBooks I was selling, or offered them on eBay for auction. This wasn't my finest moment, but I was working two jobs because I was doing a great deal of pro bono work and needed to find a way to pay my bills. I imagine that most people weren't doing very much research about items they wanted to purchase at that time, and the drives typically were sold by resellers for around the price they paid on the auctions.)

In my experience, it's much safer today on eBay, if you know what you're doing. It's much more difficult for someone to screw you, and many of the deals for pre-owned Macs are very good. Yet many of the asking prices are also tremendously unrealistic.

That being said, I'd much prefer to test out any unit that interests me before paying for it. You just never know.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
A couple of things I remembered after my last post. . .

The Mac reseller was MacMall and, as I recall, the asking price for the drive was closer to or at $299. I was also banned from eBay for thirty days after I ripped the seller in my feedback for him for his crappy PowerBook and bad attitude about it.

adamj575

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Tennessee

This is my delima...i comment when i have something to offer to the thread...I hate just posting at random to up my count...but i figure ill get there soon enough...

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
This is my delima...i comment when i have something to offer to the thread...I hate just posting at random to up my count...but i figure ill get there soon enough...

Same, figured I have to do something to at least get it up as another forum I've been active on for years shut down their MP =(

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011

I agree that a basic rule of this type is good for the group. I think the 6 month requirement is fine, but I feel the 250 post minimum is a little excessive. This is not a criticism, just my opinion.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Which is exactly what we don't want to happen here. I sold my iPhone 4S on the board, received my money without issue, and got a very positive feedback from the buyer..Win win...I wouldn't touch Ebay with a ten foot pole. Far too many stories of woe to even think about using it....I'm in the process of selling my Imac and an MBP, here in the UK ebay is just about the only marketplace that reaches a large audience, but I prefer to wait for a sale. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want a total stranger wandering into my place...I have expensive guitars recording equipment and cameras....I'd rather deal with someone I have at least had some form of contact with before...Call me paranoid if you want to, but who knows? Buy the Imac, and return with a truck to clean me out? I'd rather not risk it..:)
True, to be honest I've never used the marketplace here. :p

I prefer to buy my stuff brand new for some reason. :p

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
If you want you can reply to my post - I'm glad you are part of MacRumors.

Thanks. I've lerked the forums quite a bit and always juggle android and mac. I decided to take a full submersion with my iPhone/iPad mini/Hackintosh. I recently sold my Macbook Retina 15" and kinda miss/regret it. I did however save $1000 so I guess thats a plus. I'm debating on picking up a used macbook pro/air to partner with my gadgets hence the reasoning now for trying to see the market place :D

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Thanks. I've lerked the forums quite a bit and always juggle android and mac. I decided to take a full submersion with my iPhone/iPad mini/Hackintosh. I recently sold my Macbook Retina 15" and kinda miss/regret it. I did however save $1000 so I guess thats a plus. I'm debating on picking up a used macbook pro/air to partner with my gadgets hence the reasoning now for trying to see the market place :D

Surf the Buying Tips and Advice forum section - lots of opportunity to just give your opinion. Boast your post count.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.