Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:40 PM   #1
dingdongbubble
macrumors 6502a

Why don't we have data only 'phones'?

We have services like Skype that seem cheaper to make calls from. So why haven't manufacturers made devices that have only data plans on them like tablets. Folk would make phone calls using Skype or whatever over the data network. Or is regular cellular technology still cheaper for voice calls? This way we could save at least $15-30 every month if the plans had no minutes and stuff.
dingdongbubble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:45 PM   #2
wxman2003
macrumors 68020

Because the mobile providers would not make as much money.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Voice calls over the Internet's quality is spotty. Internet was not originally designed for live.voice. Many variables. Then of course u have to be near hotspots, not necessarily convenient for everyone.

Cellular voice actually doesnt take much bandwidth. Is those YouTube videos, Netflix, streaming that takes up the available tower's capacity.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:02 PM   #4
617aircav
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdongbubble View Post
We have services like Skype that seem cheaper to make calls from. So why haven't manufacturers made devices that have only data plans on them like tablets. Folk would make phone calls using Skype or whatever over the data network. Or is regular cellular technology still cheaper for voice calls? This way we could save at least $15-30 every month if the plans had no minutes and stuff.
Tablets with data plans already exist.
617aircav is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:21 PM   #5
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
You answered your own question
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:34 AM   #6
digitalhen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Put a data SIM in your iphone.... win?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
You want a phone without phone service?
You think that the carriers would lower the price and reduce their profits if you only use data?
Carriers want to make more money not less. Come up with a plan that makes them more money and you have a winner.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:43 AM   #8
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Plans like this do exist, but you basically have to be certified as deaf or with a speech disability to get them:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/ar...for-iphone.jsp
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:01 AM   #9
GeorgieAcevedo
macrumors 6502a

Skype app isn't so good yet. Tons of crashing and not being to get a hold of the other person but I love it and I use it every night. I love how good the phone quality is. I talk with my gf every night on Skype. We hate the quality of phone calls. We never talk on the phone via our numbers. Always Skype. I just wish the app was fixed.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:16 AM   #10
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

By the time the LTE networks are built out and the software side of the problem is sorted out to make VoIP a reasonable replacement for a regular cell number, the providers will move to Voice over LTE (VoLTE). They are already transitioning the offered plans for this future "all IP" scenario with the new plans including unlimited talk and text anyway.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:16 AM   #11
CaneCollegeboy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Plans like this do exist, but you basically have to be certified as deaf or with a speech disability to get them:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/ar...for-iphone.jsp
Wow those plans are horrible, straight talk or Tmobile if your area has 3g is a better value.
CaneCollegeboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Because it wouldn't be a phone, there are plenty of data only communications devices already, including the iPod Touch.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:23 AM   #13
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneCollegeboy View Post
Wow those plans are horrible, straight talk or Tmobile if your area has 3g is a better value.
Or better yet put an iPad SIM in an iPhone.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:36 AM   #14
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Because it wouldn't be a phone, there are plenty of data only communications devices already, including the iPod Touch.
Why wouldn't it be a phone? Voice over LTE already exists. But carriers are waiting to support it. At some point traditional "voice" plans will no longer exist as the technology is being phased out.
bozzykid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:51 PM   #15
macMD
macrumors 6502

Get an iPod Touch and a MiFi and you are all set.
macMD is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone